Kumazasa 'Sasa veitchii' bamboo

Share pictures and information about Japanese gardens, ponds, water features and Koi in this forum.
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Kumazasa 'Sasa veitchii' bamboo

Post by Kyushu Danji »

This type of bamboo is often used for ground cover in shaded areas, and in winter the tips of the leaves turn white. Its an awesome looking plant, and I have seen it grow in Japan and the UK, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that stocks it in Australia. Does anyone know of a good nursery that specializes in bamboo? The internet is proving to be unhelpful when it comes to tracking down where I can buy this plant, and I don't want to settle for that tiger grass that seems to be sold in all the nurseries I have checked so far.
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Re: Kumazasa 'Sasa veitchii' bamboo

Post by Jow »

Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Jow wrote:HERE
I already tried there (should have mentioned that before, sorry!) The nursery was in queensland and they told me that kumazasa 'wasn't suitable for our climate, so they died.' However, I live in canberra and I'm pretty confident they would survive here.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

There is a bamboo nursery next to a bonsai nursery and a restaurant out of Sydney some where.

OK did a search
Mr Bamboo
http://mrbamboo.com.au/
Is next to Bonsai Art
http://www.megumibennettbonsai.com/
Can't find a name for the restaurant but I would call up one of the nurseries and get the number to make a lunch booking. I missed out on a table last time I was there :(
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Thanks for the link! Mr Bamboo doesn't seem to have this variety on his website, but I have emailed him to find out if he stocks it :fc:
Will definitely try and get up to terry hills next time I'm in sydney. Is there any way to get there from the city by train or bus, or will I have to take the car?

Thanks again :worship:
James
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

In the highly regarded Japanese Gardens located in the University of Southern Qld (Toowoomba, QLD), they have a large batch of low growing bamboo that looks just like this pic on the northern edge of the lake. I'll see if i can get a name for you. :fc: The USQ grounds keepers may be contactable as well. It is REALLY beautiful and i'd love it in my garden, but it seems to need a strong edging. This particular grove has plastic edging that rises about 15 cms so presumably goes down a significant amount as well. Also goes white at the tips and about 30 cms tall.

Stew

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Oh ok, that sounds promising! It really does look good, and I probably should have asked on this site before, but I never thought that anyone would have heard of it. It seems pretty hard to get hold of, and it seems to prefer cooler climactic conditions. I have contacted 'Mr bamboo' and he does not stock it because apparently it looks unsightly in winter :shake: each to their own I guess! There is a retailer that stocks it in WA too..might try them and ask if they do mail orders :fc:
EDIT: Stew, it is a runner, but I guess all ground covers are, right? I was planning to have mine in a far corner of the garden under a big pine, and put some sort of barrier underground to stop it from getting into the foreground. I think it doesn't like full sun too much though, so that may discourage it somewhat.
Last edited by Kyushu Danji on January 29th, 2011, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

This grove is definately under protection of larger trees and sound like it could be a match. I'll see if i can take the kids to the gardens tomorrow and get a photo or two to upload for you to compare - if i can get them away from the ducks that is :palm:
"Dad why do you keep looking at the trees... there's a turtle....."

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Stewart_Toowoomba wrote:This grove is definately under protection of larger trees and sound like it could be a match. I'll see if i can take the kids to the gardens tomorrow and get a photo or two to upload for you to compare - if i can get them away from the ducks that is :palm:
"Dad why do you keep looking at the trees... there's a turtle....."
My girlfriend found your post very "cute." :palm: :roll:
That would be great. If it has white around the edges of the leaves, chances are it is kumazasa. If not, maybe its tiger grass or something..since everywhere I have been to until now has stocked this rather than kumazasa.
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

I'm afraid there is still no luck in finding this bamboo. Both the nurseries I contacted now tell me that they don't stock it, and they have no clue where I can find it :(
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hiya James
took the kids to USQ today and snapped these pics. Perhaps it is not your sort cause the white tips look like it is from burning perhaps rather than a variagation??? :lost:
USQ bamboo1.JPG
USQ Bamboo2.JPG
USQBamboo3.JPG
USQ bamboo grove.JPG
Well it was a lovely walk all the same. I might even post some other pics of the garden when i get the chance. I hope this helps you but i have a feeling it won't.... :(

I tried! Stew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Kyushu Danji wrote:I'm afraid there is still no luck in finding this bamboo. Both the nurseries I contacted now tell me that they don't stock it, and they have no clue where I can find it :(
It does look like a nice underplanting and I would like to try it myself. Have searched ebay(even international) and google and had no luck. Not very often you can't find it some where but this has me stumped :?:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I have found it on Ebay USA now but I doubt that will help. So I have posted a request on the Plant this website. They seem pretty good at finding stuff. Seems the editor gets onto any request within a couple of days so :fc:
http://www.plantthis.com.au/
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Stewart_Toowoomba wrote:Hiya James
took the kids to USQ today and snapped these pics. Perhaps it is not your sort cause the white tips look like it is from burning perhaps rather than a variagation??? :lost:
USQ bamboo1.JPG
USQ Bamboo2.JPG
USQBamboo3.JPG
USQ bamboo grove.JPG
Well it was a lovely walk all the same. I might even post some other pics of the garden when i get the chance. I hope this helps you but i have a feeling it won't.... :(

I tried! Stew
Hey Stew,

I think thats it. It can't be tiger grass, because that has much larger leaves and grows much taller than the bamboo in your photos. Kumazasa is supposed to be a medium sized ground cover plant, and thats exactly how it's used at those gardens. At the very least it is a variety of Sasa bamboo I would say.

Thanks for the photos! :tu:

James
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kyushu Danji »

Bretts wrote:I have found it on Ebay USA now but I doubt that will help. So I have posted a request on the Plant this website. They seem pretty good at finding stuff. Seems the editor gets onto any request within a couple of days so :fc:
http://www.plantthis.com.au/
That sounds promising Bretts. To be honest I never bothered checking overseas sources, since it would be such a hassle to try and get it into the country. I was hoping someone would stock it here.

Let us know what they come back with at plantthis :yes:

Cheers,

James

Return to “Japanese Gardens, Ponds and Koi”