peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Pete's collection of rocks no1

Post by peterb »

Hi All
Thought I would show my collection of suiseki , I'm new to this so excuse the bases if they're a bit plain and feel free to critique
peterb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Pete's collection of rocks no1

Post by fossil finder »

Love the first rock peterb. Is it waterworn? Reminds me of a sentry in hat nodding off to sleep. Something about the line where the base meets the rock worries me. Maybe the top of base needs to be slightly smaller. I think the colour of the stand competes with the rock for visual attention. I'd like to see a darker timber or staining the timber may be the way to go. The pics are a bit dark but the style/execution of your bases look nice. Are you using a die-grinder to shape the bases you have made?
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi F/F
Interesting how we see things differently , in the first rock i see an old peasant woman shuffling along I can also see the sentry I found it on the beach so I guess it's waterworn . I''ve only just started using a Dremel , used it on the second rock which I called ghost rock . The others were all hand carved and sanded . The one I found the hardest was the base for the bottom rock I used meranti and it's not an easy wood to use . I'm new to this so what is it about the meeting point of the base that's wrong , with the colour of the base i also thought darker but was advised by someone to go with the natural colour of the red cedar. Do you do suiseki F/F , if so would love to see some of yours. Appreciate the input
Peterb
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fossil finder »

Yes pb I'm interested in suiseki very much but haven't gone the 'whole nine yards' with regard to bases yet. I collect strange rocks and am keen to use some in tray landscapes. That's where my creative side wants to spend some quality time. I love penjiin/suiseki but am keen to use mainly Australian plants and convey the concept of ecosystems. Making some bases is on agenda soon and I have more than a few to photograph but here are some to kick off. The last shot is an example of the decomposed granite I incorporate in my mix.
ImageImage
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi F/F
That first rock's a ripper :cool: , where did you find that . When you decide to carve bases what wood are intending to use and how you going to go about it . I'm busy building myself a thing called a duplicarver ( google it ) and i'm hoping it's going to make things a bit easier. I really love the look of penjing but just haven't gotten around to doing anything in that line yet . Still trying to get my head around turning my bonsai into something decent and find the time to do it
peterb
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by fossil finder »

Yes it is a nice piece pb. It was found some years ago near Ballina. Looking at my collection it seems inevitable that each stone will need a sympathetic base made that doesn't distract. I have various burls that might work among my bits and pieces. I have all the gear to cut a base from stone like ironstone......... Oh yes .....the ironstone!........more to come soon. This heavy piece of alluvial chert ticks all the boxes for me. It is about 200mm long, holds water and has a natural edge from all views. I plan to plant with dawsonia (giant moss).

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hey F/F
What a beautiful waterstone , I really like that stone :mrgreen: . Do you have a geology background fossil , you seem to be knowledgeable on different types of rock etc .
george reissis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 23
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by george reissis »

:cool:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks gentlemen for the collections. The rocks seem to sit very well in a "natural" setting - you maynot need to carve anything. Some slightly feral small Leptos or Kunzeas would complete the picture...

Just my 2c, thanks again.

Gavin

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”