For lovers of rocks.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

pete's collection no2

Post by peterb »

some more rocks . In the first lot the tall one is from cradle mountain Tassie and I call it the Matterhorn , the one on the taller base is called ghost rock and in the second lot the one on the base is called snowy mountain and the red rock is called desert rock and it's from west Australia I think it's sandstone that's been dyed which I suppose is against suiseki rules but I like it anyway and I'll be carving a base for it next
peterb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: pete's collection no2

Post by boom64 »

Way to go Peter ,nice collection .I am no expert but I think they look great. :tu2: Cheers John.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Thanks John , I'm enjoying carving the bases. Lots to learn though
Peterb
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by fossil finder »

The Matterhorn is a nice piece. It looks like some hard sandstone I have somewhere around. What makes you think it might be dyed pb? The material I have is simliar in colour. Somtimes you see iron stained sandstone but that is pretty obvious usually. I've actually been thinking I'll get a sandblaster to clean staining off otherwise hot stones and for deadwood work. Are you using a jigsaw or bandsaw to cut the bases?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hey F/F
On the sandstone there is one tiny little spot tucked away , that is yellow. It appears as though it was missed and I haven't had the courage to make another chip in the rock to make sure . No mate haven't had the luxury of a bandsaw , so have cut them out by hand with a fretsaw . :palm: I've also been considering getting a blaster for deadwood , especially since reading Bonsai masterclass by Craig cousins

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”