For lovers of rocks.
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Gemstone Conglomerate viewing stones

Post by fossil finder »

These pieces of ceramic-like conglomerate containing quartz, petrified wood, carnelian, jasper and other chalcedony species were found recently west of the tablelands. The first stone is about 400mm tall and is very heavy.
The second is a triangular plate about 350mm x 350mm x 80mm. Well before the stones were welded together by earths forces they were waterworn over a very long period of time. Just consider the waterworn petrified wood that was once part of a tree in a ancient landscape. Sometime after it died and was fossilized it ended up in a river tumbling until rounded before finally being pressure cooked with other stones into a gem conglomerate.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Re: Gemstone Conglomerate viewing stones

Post by wattynine »

FF, gotta say it, Awesome mate you keep bringing them out.
If I may ask what is your technique for presenting them all so "cleanly", what or how are you polishing with?
They all submit a certain sheen to them.
Watty
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Gemstone Conglomerate viewing stones

Post by fossil finder »

Cheers wattynine

These rocks had little preparation as they were laying on a gravel bed of simliar material. Even the matrix that adheres them together comprises glassy stones finely ground. I usually soak stones in concentrated dishwashing water for a few days before scrubbing them with a stainless steel toothbrush like brush for cleaning auto parts etc. If rock has a sooty mouldy surface I hit it with bleach.
After the stones completely dry I rub them over with 100% pure coconut oil I got from the local pharmacy. It is highly viscous, has no scent and gives a nice sheen without ending up a greasy mess. I don't oil porous rocks

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”