Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Rocks with Potential

Post by Jan »

I confess :palm: , I'm "rocks with potential" addict.
I like rocks.
I like rocks in bonsai settings so am always on the lookout for "root over rocks", "rocks as bonsai stands" candidates or just "setting the scene" rocks to add to a composition.
In summer it is always wise to be looking where (or on what!) you are putting your feet so I can't help but notice rocks.
I can't even blame bonsai, I brought home rocks long before I had the excuse of using them with my trees.
I am unrepentant.
I am an addict and I have infected those around me who know that a "pretty", "unusual", "shinny" (what girl doesn't like a bit of "bling"), "lichen covered" or other outstanding rock will always be appreciated.
Here's one I collected earlier...
Rock.jpg
Rock detail.JPG
Jan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Rocks with Potential

Post by boom64 »

Thanks for the confession as i suffer as well. :) That is a mighty fine example to . Cheers John.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

AEF1FC87-0E59-44D8-8159-E2D26B2751EC.jpeg
I am not sure that my pics are attached !
But hopefully , here are a couple more from a rock addict .
Cheers
Graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Gahhh....I collect rocks, but have gotten to the stage where I can't lift the containers with trees and rocks! :(
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I am with you there Mel. I try (but do not always succeed) to bring home rocks suitable for smaller, "liftable" root over rock settings.
I've been bad :palm: .

I explored the roots on a small snake-barked elm and, rather than seeing the chore in the over length roots, the rock addict saw the potential of justifying bringing home rocks. I explored the hoard, which are lined up on the top of the retaining wall for viewing, but decided that none were suitable for this elm and the placement of it's roots.

There was only one thing to do, off to the paddock to look at other possible candidates. I needed a "softer" looking rock to make it a believable composition as you don't usually find elms on cliff faces, but a work outcropping in a forest is believable.

I brought home three possibles, checked the roots again and settled on the smallest rock, a smaller rock but still with some character and texture to make it interesting but not overpower the elm.
20191110_ 180706 Snake Bark elm root over Rock.jpg
I've planted into a larger pot to ensure a better chance of recovery and covered all the roots until after it has settled. The roots were a perfect fit, couldn't have done better if I had started this process a few years ago. I will then gradually remove soil to harden up the roots and display them.

This one is only little, Mel, so I should be able to lift it for years yet.

Jan.

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”