Collected Rocks

For lovers of rocks.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Collected Rocks

Post by Taffy »

Here are a couple of Rocks I've collected over the years.

These four photos are all the same rock from different views and angles. This one was collected from the side of the road just north of Katherine NT. I got as many as would fit in the car boot. There were thousands of similar ones there - all sandstone, but when I went back to get some more, Main Roads had pushed a Bulldozer through the whole area to widen the road - and carted the whole lot away - there wasn't a single one left! :cry: :evil:
Rock Aa.jpg
Rock Ab.jpg
Rock Ac.jpg
Rock Ad.jpg
This one is limestone with a bit of Granite or Basalt on the top and was from Kununura WA (two different views):
Rock Ba.jpg
Rock Bb.jpg
To give some idea of size, that pot is 490mm across the lip. I've got a few more, and I'll add them over the next few days as I resize them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Taffy.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Collected Rocks

Post by Jamie »

very nice taffy!

love the last one :D if you accidently drop one sometime I will be quite happy to come and "clean" it up for you ;) :P :D :lol: now how come we cant find rocks like that up here??? maybe not looking in the right spot? i reckon that last one would make for an awesome ROR, which is what i usually get rocks for, havent found one yet with interest like that though!

Jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Jamie wrote:now how come we cant find rocks like that up here??? maybe not looking in the right spot? i reckon that last one would make for an awesome ROR, which is what i usually get rocks for, havent found one yet with interest like that though!
Jamie
That's what I collected them for Jamie. I only stood them up in that pot so I could take photos of them. Haven't found any like these around here, but I do have some Lava rock from around here. They aren't anywhere near as 'impressive as these, but I've used a couple already for RoR.
Regards

Taffy.
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Jamie wrote:very nice taffy!

love the last one :D if you accidently drop one sometime I will be quite happy to come and "clean" it up for you ;) :P :D :lol: now how come we cant find rocks like that up here??? maybe not looking in the right spot? i reckon that last one would make for an awesome ROR, which is what i usually get rocks for, havent found one yet with interest like that though!

You should take a drive out to Biggenden mate, well just befor there anyhow. ;)
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

I thought that might have been the case taff :D

will have to go check out biggenden no Graeme :D cheers for the lead! most of the rock that is around here is basically fossilised clay, cant think of any other way to describe it.

I have a couple of pieces of lava rock too, its good, but as you said, it doesnt have the character of the two you have put up. the only other rock I have that is different is one that I am putting an elm on, I think it was collected down Redcliffe way.

this is the redcliffe rock, with the elm on top, the rock and roots are quite shiny and wet looking as i had just misted it before taking the pics. this was bought at a bonsai nursery when i had money, was quite cheap to do overall, even though rocks are rocks and you can pick em up from the side of the road, the rock actually cost more than the tree! the tree was a root cutting with 4 new leaders coming from it, that got culled down to as you see it now
chinese elm ROR 1.jpg
chinese elm ROR 4.jpg
chinese elm ROR 6.jpg
speaking of which i should really update the thread for that one :oops: :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

If you can get some of the very light Lava rock, you can actually carve it very easily with a file and small chisels.

That rock you have there looks a bit like Iron Stone. Is it reasonably heavy? Your tree looks quite comfortable on it.
Regards

Taffy.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

hi mate :D

the rock is actually quite lite, the holes and gullys in it are all over the rock and all together it is very light actually, the tree and rock stand no more than twenty centimeters tall, the rock fits comfortably in one hand, maybe if it was bigger the weight might be an issue.

I have been considering trying that with lava rock, just havent had the time to scratch me bum to even think about it.

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”