For lovers of rocks.
tom k
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: F. rubiginosa
Bonsai Age: 7

Suggestions on my sandstone?

Post by tom k »

I found this in a pile of stones bulldozed from road near the coast at la Perouse, Sydney. It's got a lovely flat base and some of the holes are quite deep. Width is about 50cm.
Do people think I should grow some trees in the larger holes, some moss, or leave it alone and put it in a tray of gravel? If I do put a tree or trees should I drill holes through to the back for drainage or is that unlikely to be a problem for such a small volume? The back is much plainer, doesn't have the swiss-cheese appearance. What are the chances of cracking if I do drill it? I'd be devastated if I broke it.
Any other suggestions or advice? I'm new to suiseki etc.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Re: Suggestions on my sandstone?

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Hey Tom, that looks pretty cool, I've had no experience with sandstone personally, but if you search through some of the older posts in topics below I know this topic has been discussed before, good luck and be sure to post photo if you get it potted up with something :fc:
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

I would never drill a piece of sandstone, that I'd be devastated over it cracking. It can be done easily, but it does have a tendency to crack sometimes.

Lovely piece by the way, would look great with trees in it, it would also look good as a viewing/landscape stone.

:) Wish I had one like it.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

I love the stone and think its best as it stands now...sitting in the garden, find a spot where you can admire it & let nature take its own course. It would also make a nice viewing stone but is a bit on the big side for my own tastes.

Drilling sandstone is fairly easy, the best way to avoid cracking is to take it slowly with plenty of water flow. DO NOT use impact or hammer setting on the drill as this is a sure way of breaking the stone Put a couple pieces of masking tape on the back to help prevent too much flaking around the exit point. If you take it slow & easy sandstone is beautiful to work with, you can get amazing detail & crisp sharp lines easily.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi tom k , i would make a very nice Ishitsuki or vertical landscape rock . Sandstone is like most conglomerated rock and has a tendancy to split when drilled .It is usually due to to much pressure applied to the bit ,a rotory hammer being used , or a build up of dust inside the hole creating sideways pressure .To alleviate this the rock can be turned upside down and drilled from underneath Use a masonary drill bit in a normal drill starting with a smaller bit and working your way up in size . Drilling from underneath allows the dust to fall out of the hole so you don"t get a pressure build up .Use an old ice-cream container or similar , drill through the bottom and insert the drill , this works as a dust cover for the drill . Good luck. Cheers Alpineart
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I have seen them displayed on polished wood cut to the shape of the rock. They look very good when displayed with a Bonsai. Could be a bit large this one though
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

I would leave it as a landscape/ display rock. If you plant trees in it the roots may end up cracking the rock my :2c:

Tony
Last edited by Bougy Fan on June 1st, 2011, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling DOH !
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

maybe plant something like a coastal banksia or 2 on it. make it look like a rock outcrop on a coastal headland

looks like an old weathered rock from the sydney coastline

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
tom k
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tom k »

Thanks for all the suggestions & advice.
The area I found it has really high winds and lots of amazing trees and shrubs dwarfed and sculpted by windshear, including coast banksias and monotocas, and it does have the look of coastal cliffs, so the idea of one of those species in a windswept style is tempting. Think I'm a bit too scared of breaking it though, particularly after tony's warning of cracking from root expansion.
Any ideas for a convincing landscape arrangement with a coast theme with any trees included being next to rather than in the rock?
Maybe just sitting in a "sea" of moss or sand?
Will probably just do as Matt says and leave it in the garden at least for now.
I'd recommend anyone that hasn't been to Botany Bay National Park check it out. The onshore wind is so strong that there's a patch of Casuarina glauca (usually the tallest, straightest of the she-oaks) that have a fused canopy at waist height so dense you can walk across it. Also several windswept monotocas that have inspired me to create a bonsai version. Anyone have experience with this species (M. elliptica)?
tom k
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tom k »

Recently saw a bonsai where a fig was grown behind a large stone, with the branches brought round at various points to create little clouds at the edges. Viewed from the front it looked as if it was small trees growing from the sides of the stone. Might give that a go...
lostgalaxy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Rhino
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by lostgalaxy »

Maybe put a superman beside and name the work Bulletproof? :D

Great finding.

Return to “Suiseki and Viewing Stones”