[NATURAL] Pittosporum angustifolium - Redsonic

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Re: [NATURAL] Pittosporum angustifolium - Redsonic

Post by Redsonic »

An update on this guy. The growing tips have continued to be eaten/sucked by something. I thought I killed the culprit (a pyramidal shaped insect that also likes my casuarina), but the damage has continued. A very close look reveals fine white strands at some damaged tips, so I will treat for spider mite and hope that does the job.

Lately, insects of all kinds have become scarce in our area, and I'd hate to think it is something I have done, so I am very conservative with sprays. I only like to spray once I have ID'd the culprit and chosen the right treatment.

With this tree's travails, I made no plans to put it in a bonsai pot this month. Time will tell if I can pot it up for the new due date.
PittosporumAngustifoliumOct21_1.JPG
PittosporumAngustifoliumOct21_2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

nice gnarly bark there! hope whatever's been eating it has gone, at least?
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

An update on this tree. Although not presentable as a bonsai, I consider myself lucky it is still alive. It has been very frustrating to care for. It seems to flush with new growth, which quickly shrivels up at the tips, and any new leaves which do make it either drop or are being eaten by something. I have used Maverick and white oil. Probably time for something systemic.
I thought for a while it might be a nutrient deficiency (as I had stopped fertillising it due to it's unhealthy state). I fed it and gave it trace elements, and it gave a flush of new growth, which then died back as before.

Here is the poor Gumby Gumby:

PittosporumAngApril2022_1.JPG

And something eating the leaf:

PittosporumAngApril2022_2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

How frustrating! At least it's still alive, hopefully there'll be some growth after some systemics?

Return to “Current Contest”