[NATURAL] Eucalyptus cinerea - Beano

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Still haven’t advanced this tree much. It’s fattened up at the base a little and the lignotuber doesn’t look too bad but it’s at soil level so we’ll see what’s under it at repot time. It recovered well from the grub attack. The weaker 2nd tree was well dominated by the larger seedling and died.

I’ve now chosen new branches. I hope they stay because it seems every time I cut a branch shorter, even if I leave some leaf on it, the branch will die back and I may or may not get new buds at the branch base on the trunk. I love the cinerea foliage so I hope to be able to make something of this tree one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Final update:

Repot 30th November 2021 into new pot. I had to cut off even more of the main root than what is pictured to fit it in the pot… and I am amazed it survived, but the result being it hasn’t grown much since I trimmed months ago.

Today:

My experience with this tree is that it is lovely to look at, seems quite hardy and will wilt a bit of roots are disturbed without some top growth taken off. It got attacked by grubs at one point that skeletonised many leaves but it bounced back once I figured it out and killed them. It will back bud but I find if there’s many other branches above where you want to encourage growth on a lower branch then it will likely just die back, then you may get two new shoots either side of the die back but they don’t seem vigorous and will eventually die back as well. I will keep working on this one as it’s been pretty forgiving for a native and I love the leaf colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Current Contest”