[Natural] Lagarostrobos Franklinii - Huon Pine

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Padawan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The live ones
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

[Natural] Lagarostrobos Franklinii - Huon Pine

Post by Padawan »

Good Evening All,

Although I have been a member of the site for a number of years, I have been in and out of bonsai and have never posted - may bad. After a frank conversation with Watto last weekend in the Arboretum it is time to get into it. I am excited to have a crack at this competition.

So, jumping straight into the deep end I came across these lovely trees in the Yarralumla Nursery, they were $24 each. My intent is to submit them as the one entry as I will be attempting a group or saikei. Hopefully my observations and learning can contribute to understanding how some our very 'cool' native species respond in different climates and environments.

Regards,
Sisto

Huon Pine Group.jpg
Huon Pine i.jpg
Huon Pine ii.jpg
Huon Pine iii.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: [Natural] Lagarostrobos Franklinii - Huon Pine

Post by Max »

:o
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Welcome Sisto. Interesting choice of plant and I am looking forward to seeing it develop.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Oh yeah :tu: Very nice choice.

I'm very much looking forward to watching these grow. :beer:

Although its a 3 year comp, not 30. I'm still hoping for as much development as you can imagine, and thank you for submitting one of the most majestic trees Australia has on show.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Padawan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The live ones
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Padawan »

Hi All,
This update covers the last fourteen months.
The intent for this group was to create a gully or bend in a small stream within the forest. I slip potted the three trees into a large wooden training box sitting on top of a rock wall. I also completed an initial style of the composition. The soil mix was fairly open 60% native, 20% zeolite and 20% perlite.
Around Easter 2019, two of the trees quickly deteriorated and died over a period of about 10-14 days - very disheartening. I do not know why. Although I was travelling with the work the trees never dried out. The third tree did not look happy but hung on through winter.
By mid spring the surviving tree started to shoot and develop new foliage.
Apart from removing wire, I let it grow for most of summer, completing a trim and style in late January.
I have decided to stay with the original theme of the composition on a reduced scale. I picked up a natural looking slab pot from James Tranter at Samarkand Pottery and will build the composition in spring.
27 Jan 20 ii.jpg
11 Apr 20 i.jpg
11 Apr 20 vii.jpg
11 Apr 20 iv.jpg
Regards,
Sisto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Sad news about your trees mate but the object to get to the end is commendable, good luck with your lone survivor.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

They are a tough tree to bonsai for the mainland, but I hear that Victoria have good success with them. I lost mine many moons ago, but will try them again soon when I find some worthy candidates.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
alexgard
Favorite Species: huon pine

Post by alexgard »

Hello everyone. New to these forums and today I just potted and wired my first ever bonsai; a Huon Pine. A wood with generations of family sentimentality/obsession. I once helped craft a huon pine negroni using the woodchips infused oil into campari which, if not over-dosed in the mixed drink, had an amazing huon pine aftertaste and aroma to it.

I live down in Hobart and hoping this fares OK in an easterly facing window with shade through most of the day. I'm hoping I wasn't too rough with the plant.

I want to go back to the nursery and pick up some pencil pine and other cuttings to get into this a bit more. I pruned off about 20% of the roots and most of the new foliage close to the main trunk, leaving some main feature branches aiming to have them weeping over the side of the pot once they harden up into the desired shape (I have no idea what I'm doing, honestly :tu: )

Return to “Current Contest”