3 Year Time Capsule Competition

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

3 Year Time Capsule Competition

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi all,

Just wanted to throw out an idea for a “competition”... maybe better called a challenge for others to maybe get involved in. The basics of my concept are:
1. Pick some stock that you like the potential of, whatever you like... whatever size, but is yet to be considered a bonsai... one entry per person though - so be picky/strategic!

2. Post a pic of it in this thread and maybe give some background on the stock (if you have it), but probably more importantly how you see it developing over the next 3 years...

3. Develop your stock in whatever way you think will get you the best tree you can muster in the 3 years... BUT... do NOT post If you post any development shots/comments relating to this tree in this thread or any other, on any forum... you are out!

4. At the end of the 3 years you need to post a pic of your “finished” tree, and whatever development shots over that period (now, the more the better) so others can see what you have created and how you managed it. I would suggest a minimum of one picture from each year (3 in total) so we can get an idea of the development timeline, obviously more would be great.

5. There is a vote of some description ... possibly open to the whole forum, where people vote for the tree that has shown the best DEVELOPMENT over the 3 years. Note: not the “best bonsai”necessarily, but the tree that has progressed the most from where it began.

6. The winner gets my undying adulation for at least 3 weeks after the end of the comp. And, if I manage to rustle up a prize over the next few years, they can have that too.

Those are the basics of my competition concept. I want to encourage people who maybe don’t usually post stuff to whack up a picture of their “stick in a pot” and hopefully they’ll see it’s not that scary and continue to post more of their work and increase the traffic on our forum. No pressure really... chuck up a seedling, you never know where you can take it in 3 years!

Happy for any suggestions/ideas about how to refine the idea and make it better. I’m thinking of making the start date 01/01/2020, which makes it easy to remember the end date is 01/01/2023! There’s a bit of time to think about it!

What do you reckon?
:beer:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: 3 Year Time Capsule Competition

Post by TimS »

I like the idea, maybe I missed it in my early morning state of mind (not altogether sharp pre-6am) but would you propose there be a maximum size starting plant?

I think most people’s eye would be drawn to something bigger and less developed than smaller and more developed just due to our nature that’s all.

It would certainly be interesting to get to see that starting point, and then later on in quick succession how it developed and the process/thoughts behind
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Mate - I’ll have a crack. I can picture these Japanese Maple seedlings popping up in my yard being something, similarly your pine offspring, or a recent English Elm root cutting, or a couple of native groups that I DQ’d from the current Natural comp (no they are DQ’d from this comp because they have already been posted!) - or perhaps something more advanced.

In terms of end of three years maybe just enable an ‘R3God’ mode too —- sure, have a vote for the people’s choice but the main game is you just picking a winner based on any criteria you decide ... no correspondence will be entered into ...POW!

PS - I could donate one of your pine trees that I purchased as a prize - a ground grown Scots or something. By the 2023 that would be a 4-5 year old pine. Let me know if you want something like that ... happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

OK - it seems there are a few people interested so I'll keep riding the wave and thinking about what we can do ...
TimS wrote: December 18th, 2019, 4:51 am ...but would you propose there be a maximum size starting plant?
Hi Tim, I get your point about how people view things ... I'm a bit torn here because I don't want too many rules and regulations ... I'll keep thinking about this but my immediate thought is no limit to maximum size. If (when judging) people keep in mind the DEVELOPMENT, I think smaller stock actually has a better chance of developing visually. I'll get back to you!
MJL wrote: December 18th, 2019, 6:56 am ... I can picture these Japanese Maple seedlings popping up in my yard being something, similarly your pine offspring, or a recent English Elm root cutting, or a couple of native groups that I DQ’d from the current Natural comp (no they are DQ’d from this comp because they have already been posted!) - or perhaps something more advanced.
Hey MJL ... any of those are eligible. I'm not too concerned if stuff has been posted already ... but whatever you enter in the comp can't be posted for the next 3 years - starting 01/01/2020... In other words - once you post a pic of your selected tree in this thread to be entered in the comp/challenge, don't post a pic again for 3 years.
MJL wrote: December 18th, 2019, 6:56 am In terms of end of three years maybe just enable an ‘R3God’ mode too —- sure, have a vote for the people’s choice but the main game is you just picking a winner based on any criteria you decide ... no correspondence will be entered into ...POW!
:lol: :twisted: :tounge:
It could happen! The other thought I had was only people who enter get a vote at the end?? We could also do a people's choice which is voted by the entire forum ... it's 3 years away - I haven't got that far yet, what do people think of that idea??
Elmer wrote: December 18th, 2019, 8:06 am Hi R3, I have been enjoying the natural comp so what the hell here's an entry for you, a Melaleuca thymifolia from tubestock just because I am loving the natural multitrunk clump thing it's got going on.
I am happy to join MJL in throwing in a prize of an Aussie made pot, they have become an addiction with quite a few of our potters work on my bench and in the cupboard.
Geez, look at you go Elmer - boots and all! I like your style, assuming this whole thing goes ahead you can proudly state you are officially
ENTRY #1.
Thanks to both you and MJL for prize offerings, it's very generous of you both - we'll see how things play out ... at this rate you're gonna win your own prize! :hooray: ;)
I'm happy for any feedback on the above bits and pieces or if there is anything else we need to address. I'll try and finalise the details ASAP but let's just say ... if you're a little bit interested to have a go, get your tree photographed and ready cos I think this is more likely to go ahead than not.
:beer:
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

I'm keen to try a competition. I'll have a think on a tree that I'm not likely to kill in three years, and also won't need to post to get help or advice on. :reading:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I’d be keen to have a go for sure :tu:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Welcome to the forum MPP and good luck with your contest entry! B. Integrifolia is a decent choice for this as they can put on a fair bit of growth and trunk girth in a pretty short space of time, even in a pot. Keep posting your trees! (Just not on this thread... ;) )
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Size is an interesting factor, I only have space for small trees but.... With the right quality material, species and grower it is not impossible to make a great bonsai in 3yrs. There is a Large native currently on loan to the NBPCA that was only 2.5yrs out of the ground before heading to Canberra!!

As for winning my own prize I would have a heart attack, guess I better set the prize in my will just in case. :rofl:
bubba92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by bubba92 »

Hi I'm keen to give this a go :) I'll find something to enter over the coming weeks. I had a read through everything and the only possible problem I could see was having trees for prizes if someone interstate wins. Maybe pots or tools or a gift voucher at said winners local bonsai nursery could be a safer option.

Not that it makes any difference as I'm not going to win, just my 2c :wave:
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

I'm happy to play along too, I have a few trees to choose from so just have to pick one. I have a JRP but certainly think I will need to post that and ask questions about it so maybe not that one but that leaves me with a few Aussie natives to choose from so all good.
I have a Euc, Calli or Mel left.

Reckon I know which one will develop quicker, think I'm on to it.

Also happy to play along for fun as I would not expect either to win a prize or for one to be sent internationally so no need to worry about that. I do have an address in Adelaide but it's not really the motivation for me.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Count me in. I always like to watch from afar with the competitions but I'll give it a go :tu:
Pierre
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig, Tropicals, Bougies, flowering trees
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Pierre »

Love the idea, I'd love to be part of it too, happy to support with donation (pots, tools) for prices (in 3 years time, I'll definitely have a few "too" many of these).
Will get a picture in the coming weeks.
Cheers for starting this very interesting experiment,
Pierre
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Good idea and I'd be a starter.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

Great idea again, competitions seem to keep the forum active. I'll have to think about a tree to enter
Life's too short for boring pots
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

OK, definitely enough interest to get this underway so...
I officially declare this "3 year Time Capsule Competition" to be open!

Here are the official rules :

1. Pick some stock that you like the potential of, whatever you like... whatever size, but is yet to be considered a bonsai... one entry per person though - so be picky/strategic!

2. Post a picture/pictures of your chosen tree in this thread and maybe give some background on the stock (if you have it), but probably more importantly how you see it developing over the next 3 years...

3. Develop your stock in whatever way you think will get you the best tree you can muster in the 3 years... BUT... DO NOT POST! If you post any development shots/comments relating to this tree in this thread or any other, on any forum... you are out!

4. At the end of the 3 years you need to post a pic of your “finished” tree, and whatever development shots over that period (now, the more images the better) so others can see what you have created and how you managed it. I would suggest a minimum of one picture from each year (3 in total) so we can get an idea of the development timeline, obviously more would be great.

5. Those that have an entry in the competition (dead or alive - doesn't matter as long as they entered something to begin with) get one vote to allocate to the tree they believe has DEVELOPED the best over the timeframe. In the spirit of the competition, this vote must be cast for a tree other than their own. Note: not the “best bonsai” necessarily, but the tree that has progressed the most from where it began.
Winner takes ALL!!
A subsequent ballot may be open to the entire forum to vote for their favourite tree, resulting in a "people's choice" accolade. No prize has been allocated for this vote, other than bragging rights.

6. In the event of a tie, I will reserve the right to implement "R3God Mode"** to reach a final winner. This will most likely involve me flipping a coin or another equally scientific method to split the contestants.

7. The winner gets my undying adulation for at least 3 weeks after the end of the comp. And, if I manage to rustle up a prize over the next few years, they can have that too. Given the generous offers from a few members already - we may have something pretty sweet to play for! The prize isn't really the main part so I might workshop it with you all throughout the competition and finalise what it will be...

8. All entries must be submitted by 11:59pm on 31/12/19 ... after that, the window is closed and we are in competition mode!
NO LATE ENTRIES

9. I additionally reserve the right to, again, implement "R3God Mode"** should any disputes in relation to rules/regulations arise...

**"R3God Mode" is an official term of reference developed exclusively for this competition by MJL. For any explanation or definition of this term I defer to his expertise and experience...

I think that should do it??
Happy to answer questions if there are any and feel free to let me know if I have forgotten something important.
Without further ado ... let the games begin!

I agreement with Ryceman3
I have created a thread to hold all of the entries and Link to the thread here
https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 36&t=27863

Please Post all of the Entries in this new thread so we can all keep track of them throughout the Comp :-)
Ken

Return to “Current Contest”