A Forest Tale - New Competition: A walk in the forest and a story to boot …

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

A Forest Tale - New Competition: A walk in the forest and a story to boot …

Post by MJL »

OK good people of the AusBonsai community,

It is time for another competition and as is my way, I want to encourage people into group plantings – specifically, the forest setting. And ‘forest’ in the broadest of terms … natives rambling across sand dunes; a dense and verdant rainforest; a dry riverbed with trees clinging to life waiting for the next rains; a lush country hillside filled with trees …. You get the picture.

Why am I starting this competition? I’ve been inspired by many on this forum and I have learned a lot. It’s a small token to give back. Rory and Ryan have shown the way recently and people seem to enjoy the odd competition. So, let’s have fun with an ‘odd’ competition. And, it’s Christmas.

Why forest plantings? Well… I love a group planting! Importantly, they provide an avenue for people at all levels to develop something interesting; something of gravitas. The act of creating a forest landscape gets us all thinking… thinking about the species, the setting, the individual trees and their relationship to each other, the land and the picture in our mind.

Rules. What Rules? Let’s call them guidelines
• No drama whether it is Bonsai or Penjing … or anything in between;
• Rocks, paths, figurines are allowed but are not mandatory – whatever floats your boat;
• Flat landscapes or mounded mix; moss, stones or bare … I not much care;
• Native or not … whatever inspires you;
• Young trees or old… or a combination;
• When the gongs are handed out in July 2023 (competition ends on 30th June 2023), no correspondence will be entered in too. This is started in fun and good faith; let’s not get too serious. For prizes – see below.
• Submit entries under the current competition area of this forum. Make the title this format: [A Forest Tale] then Your AusBonsai user-name - entry name. Example: [A Forest Tale] MJL – Moonah trees - a walk on the peninsula.
So all entries will have this [A Forest Tale] and then your username and entry name.

Multiple entries are allowed - let's cap it 3 person person, max.
Regarding thread updates - as often as you want but let's say at least twice per year to see the progression, what you are doing to the trees and what's in your head, as time passes.

The prize(s)
Two Murrumbung Studio Pots
• One for the winning forest chosen by this little duck; this pot will be a ‘commission’ (ie – shohin-sized but the winner will commission the work directly with Tracey.) How cool is that!! Thanks Tracey.
• Another pot will be awarded by forum poll. Votes will only be allowed from people who entered the competition and the AusBonsai forum Admin (If they would like to vote). This will be another shohin-sized pot, ready-made chosen by (me).

A big call out to Tracey here. The fact that she offered to commission a pot for the winner is beyond what I expected when purchasing the pots for this competition. This offer is greatly appreciated. Check out Tracey’s work here https://www.murrumbungstudioceramics.com.auand support local potters everywhere.

This next part is more important than the rules. The judges (that’s me and a few of my alter egos. Oh, and I may co-opt Tracey and the help a couple of other Forum members). The judges (I) will be swayed by ;) :

• Imagination - a setting that you could walk through - assuming you could shrink yourself down to say 1cm. If I can picture myself sitting in or walking through a landscape …. happy times.
• There’s a preference for seedlings and/or small plants – rather than getting advanced stock and bring them together to form a mature scene from the get-go.
• On above, I am not going to be too anal … If you have trees that are a little older – sure, go nuts but I want the competition to be accessible to all and I want to show people that a well thought out planting of younger trees can look cool too.
• Entries close at end April 2020, this should enable people time to think, assemble trees and potentially do an initial pot through this summer and autumn.
• The initial entry does not have to be planted in one pot nor indeed, the finished landscape; just the set of trees that will be used but the plants must be brought together by the end of 2021. That date is a bit random, but I believe plants growing together create their own dynamic … so let’s get them together well before the end of the competition please.
• It’s OK of if have a forest on the go already and want to enter that, no drama.

Here’s the kicker; the twist in the forest tale (pardon the pun)

When it all winds up on June 30th, 2023 - a short story must be submitted with the final photos. The story will be in writing, accompanying the last photos. It may be a poem, perhaps a Haiku or a rhyme. It may be a few paragraphs; it may be quite a long tale. I don’t care how you make the gravy but the gravy is important. In this competition, your little story which will describe your forest … will be the gravy. Take five minutes to watch one of Australia’s great story tellers ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FozoWgvh-m4

Don’t panic – the forest setting will be the primary criteria … the accompanying tale is just a bit of fun. It won’t decide the outcome but… if you fail to submit any a wee story at the end of the competition, the judge(s) may not be able to award a prize!

I hope this works for everyone interested. Feel free to provide feedback, there is room to tweak the guidelines… if needed.

Cheers,

Mark

PS Again, submit entries under the current competition area of this forum. Make the title this format: [A Forest Tale] then Your AusBonsai user-name - entry name. Example: [A Forest Tale] MJL – Moonah trees - a walk on the peninsula.

So all entries will have this [A Forest Tale] and then your username and entry name.

Good luck :fc:
Last edited by MJL on December 23rd, 2019, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Re: A Forest Tale - New Competition: A walk in the forest and a story to boot …

Post by Ryceman3 »

Sounds good MJL... I’ll be in it!
Just a couple of things for clarification...
One entry per forum member?
Any progression updates/photos required during the comp?
Great idea... a comp is always a bit of fun and a good way to get moving on progressing your trees.
:beer: :yes:
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Awesome initiative Mark :clap: :clap: :hooray:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I’ll definitely get involved Mark, I have a few ideas floating around in my head so I’ll have to make some decisions!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks Ken, Tim and R3 for the prompt and positive responses. :yes:
R3 - in terms of your questions - good points, I have edited the guidance above but for clarity here too:
Multiple entries are allowed - let's cap it 3 person person, max.
Regarding thread updates - as often as you want but let's say at least twice per year to see the progression, what you are doing to the trees and what's in your head, as time passes.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

I’m going to love watching the updates.
I’d really hope to see entries with multiple natives together just like in the bush with casys, eucs, banksia etc.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Ryszil »

This sounds fun. Just wondering, is there a minimum number of trees that define a forest or would 3 be enough for example. Also would it be acceptable to take a photo of a single tree with some cuttings to be added later or does it need to be more developed?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Cheers Rory and Ryszil. :beer: Good to see the interest. :yes:

@ryszil... the fewer rules the better; no minimum but note the comments on what will sway the judge(s)... ;). If the right mood can be created in three trees ... so be it. I guess I was thinking more but why inhibit creativity - if three tree will do it. Do it.

Also, a tree and cuttings later is cool - no drama. Do note the caveat that requests the trees coming together in a pot sometime during 2021. Also note - entries are now open and can continue up to the end of April 2020. :tu:
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Sounds interesting & fun Mark. I'll be in on it. But damn, now I'll have to find somewhere to put these extra trees! :palm: I've been trying to reduce my collection because it's getting too much :roll: Don't know how I'll break the news to my better half, she won't be impressed.
Cheers, Frank.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hmmmm....tricky! Perhaps run some logic along the lines of ....this is actually a way of creating space! What? More trees but in less pots! Or just blame me. Thanks for participating Frank it should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peterk1278
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: -

Post by peterk1278 »

Would a rock planting count as a forest?
Like the ones Mr Kimura does.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

peterk1278 wrote:Would a rock planting count as a forest?
Like the ones Mr Kimura does.
ImageNow we’re talking. Be creative with you landscape for sure; a mutli-tree rock planting works for me.... cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Thanks for this Mark, I had never considered doing a forest/group planting before but you've got me thinking...

Merry Christmas!
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

This sounds fun Mark, count me in.

I’m into small forests at the moment so I have a few candidates lying around. I like the way competitions force you into making decisions and squeezing the most out of a growing season, I thinks it’s a good way to push yourself, both for novices and the experienced.

Matt.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

I received a couple of heat mats for my seed propagators so if I can raise a bunch of seedlings over winter then I may be in too.
Going to do a tray of 3 types of Kunzea and one with a couple of odd Ficus sp. if there is any room left then maybe a Mel sp or two as well.
Hopefully I'll get something to participate with, sounds fun.

Return to “Current Contest”