3 Year Time Capsule Competition - Entries

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: 3 Year Time Capsule Competition - Entries

Post by Watto »

I'm a starter and here is my entry.
Its a Callistemon viminalis 'Macarthur' that I grew especially for shohin Australian native bonsai display, and that is the plan.
I hope there are lots of entries and that they all see the three year time span.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Geez, a lot of variety in this competition. Keels and Wiggs going at it with red and black pines, a few natives popping up, Ryceman trying to walk home with his own trophy .... it certainly will be a mystery box of trees when opened up in 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeK »

Here’s my entry ... a Banksia integrifolia
7D7A8988-426F-4EDA-BC61-B9A20EC602B0.jpeg
Was bought as small ~1cm diameter ‘stick in a pot’ from the local native nursery, stuck into a very large pot to thicken up, and then left around the side of the house and pretty much ignored for 18 months (a couple of feeds, pruned when it got in the way and not much else). After all this, it’s now about 7cm diameter at the soil

What’s next? No idea ... to be honest I’d pretty much forgotten it was there. First up will be a major trunk chop about 30cm from the soil, likely at the small branch on the right just before it narrows and straightens. That small side branch will then become the new leader. After that, guess we’ll see how things evolve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

My entry is a Banksia Integrifolia from Shibui. I should be taking delivery of it some time next year.
Life's too short for boring pots
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

My entry . An English Elm collected four years ago from our orchard just below the house . It has been languishing in its new patch on the other side of the house and has had a couple of crude prunings in the meantime . This comp will force me to pay attention to the tree .
86CFE8B5-8C5B-4E89-92E5-336AA9AD01BC.jpeg
EEDCDE83-E3E1-4F70-9972-FF3F494123BF.jpeg
Gregoryg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers and deciduous trees
Bonsai Club: Northwest and northern

Post by Gregoryg »

Leptospermum petersonii tube stock and repotted Few months ago
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

3 Year Time Capsule Competition - Entries

Post by Beano »

Ok this is mine. It’s a ficus microcarpa hillii which used to be a topiary in front of my house. It has had its top harvested off as an air layer and has had no root work done other than a repot two years ago (approx) into a larger pot as it was extremely root bound. Let me know if you can’t see my photos.

Edited to add: I see this tree ending up carved up the middle of the trunk and creating a new top from the branches that have sprouted. The bottom part may remain branchless or I may graft some as this variety of fig seems to only want to bud from one place.

ImageImageImageImageImage

alexm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alexm »

A lot of natives spring up in my garden so I thought it would be nice to make something of one of them. I think it is a melaleuca :?:
20191230_185548-min.jpg
Hope all of you and your bonsai have a happy 2020!
Alex
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

This one was a tube stock from Oct 2018. A trip to Burringbar Native Nursery gave me a number of Diospyros varieties.

This is Diospyros yandina, otherwise known as Ebony, for its lovely dark timber. I'm keen to try to get it to produce fruit like the amazing Persimmons I see from Hong Kong. It cracks when it's lignified, so movement has to be put in when soft...
DSC_8735.JPG
DSC_8733.JPG
DSC_8732.JPG
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

My entry is a Melaleuca amillaris which I grew from seed sown in 2016. I put some movement in early but apart from a repot in 2017, it has been left to its own devices. It is rather pot bound, so a repot and cutback will be imminent. The plan is to try for a shohin size tree.
20191231_091548.jpg
20191231_091643.jpg
John_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by John_M »

I was struggling to find something for this competition as I wanted something different that I haven’t tried before. When I was strolling through the nursery I found this Crepe Myrtle in the bargain bin at Bunnings which had my name on it.

Not to sure what will become of it at this stage but it won’t be the standard “left-right-back” branching structure. I’m sure that he will tell me what he wants to become within the 3yrs.

Anyway here it is....Image

Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Nice! I nearly put my new crepe Myrtle accoma in. But I need a fire lit under me to do something with the fig.

boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Always great to see a competition ,thanks Ryceman.
My entry Eucalyptus Nicholli ,probably a little ambitious with this one ass I know very little about these. Brought several tube stock a couple of months ago. Since a repot it has been growing wildly .According to label ,sewn on the 10 of January 2019.This one will be my trial tree while the others grow on.
Good Luck to All , John.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

My entry is Shimpaku juniper purchased from bonsai world on 29/12/19. Some very interesting movement [image]
C06C022B-0534-4711-9DC8-A87A60EB9976.jpeg
[/image]
JenniferM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any natives
Bonsai Club: CBS, VNBC

3 yearr Time Capsule contest [Jennifer M] Phaerosphera fitzgeraldii

Post by JenniferM »

Hi all

Another native entry, a bit out of left field!

Over the last few years I have developed an interest in Aussie conifers, which pretty much started with this plant (and 3 others) that I picked up at Wariapendi nursery around 2015-16. It's a Phaerosphera fitzgeraldii - previously known as a Microstrobus fitzgeraldii, an endangered species which grows under and around Fitzgerald Falls in the blue mountains. I think it's common name is Dwarf mountain pine.
Phaerosphera fitzgeraldii.JPG
I think Wariapendi must have ordered them for a landscape job, but the landscaper decided s/he didn't want them because they were right down the back, very yellow in colour (normally they are a blue green) and had lots of brown, dead foliage. It's been a bit knocked about by the recent weather and is again slightly yellow - but some serious fertilising will get it back in shape.

I have been looking at the tree for about 3 years trying to decide what to do with it. Took it to workshop with an international, who took one look and told me to work on my other tree :( .

So what am I going to do with it? Although the foliage looks a lot like a juniper, I don't want a classic cascade or semi-cascade style
Phaerosphera fitzgeraldii - foliage.JPG
I think I want to do a looser, weeping design, possibly only using the left hand trunk which has a lot more movement, but we'll see.
Phaerosphaera fitzgeraldii - trunk.JPG
I did have a lovely Tracey Francis pot reserved for it, till the neighbour's cat knocked it over GRRRR. May have to commission a new one :cool:

Look forward to seeing everyone else's trees in three years.

Cheers

Jennifer

Return to “Current Contest”