3 Year Time Capsule Competition - Entries

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: 3 Year Time Capsule Competition - Entries

Post by Ryceman3 »

PRIZE UPDATE :

I think I may have mentioned I would post an update when I had something to add in conjunction with Ken's akadama bag as a prize for this comp ... well, you didn't have to wait long!
We have a pot made by Matthew Allam of 42 Mice to play for... it's a ripper! :aussie:
42M-01.jpg
42M-02.jpg
42M-03.jpg
42M-04.jpg
42M-05.jpg
Looks like the perfect thing to get an aussie native in if you ask me, but don't be bogged down by my thinking, put whatever you like in it ... and it's a decent size too (check the tape measure in the pics for approx. dimensions), but best of all, you've got 3 years to think about which of your "pride and joy" will get the opportunity to grace their roots within it.

Many thanks go out to a certain Ausbonsai member who was instrumental in getting this wonderful bit of clay over the border and into the prize pool ... giving us all something to play for. This certain member wanted to keep their contribution "low key" so I won't say too much other than Elmer did a great job ... yep ... if I was going to thank somebody for organising this I would probably direct my appreciation at Elmer ... but you didn't hear that from me ... :whistle: :shifty: ;)

Hopefully that inspires those involved to get motivated with their entries ... you never know - there may be some more motivation coming!
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Probably a good time to just remind those who are involved in this competition that progression shots of your entries (come the end of the whole thing) are gold... just DON’T post them now! Make sure you have some pics to show the visual development of your entry, not only is it part of the comp, but when it comes time to submit that will be one of the most interesting things for those “judging” (or just checking out) what your tree has been up to. Again though... DON’T post now... hold onto these images in a safe place, ready for your final submission. Keep at it!
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Ryceman3 wrote: January 17th, 2020, 2:29 pm PRIZE UPDATE :

I think I may have mentioned I would post an update when I had something to add in conjunction with Ken's akadama bag as a prize for this comp ... well, you didn't have to wait long!
We have a pot made by Matthew Allam of 42 Mice to play for... it's a ripper! :aussie:

Looks like the perfect thing to get an aussie native in if you ask me, but don't be bogged down by my thinking,

Hopefully that inspires those involved to get motivated with their entries ... you never know - there may be some more motivation coming!
Ryceman that pot is fantastic. Thanks for getting such a ripper pot for this comp. I'm looking forward to the great reveals in a couple of years time. :tu:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I’m going to have to get busy with mine soon, all my pre-bonsai stock is crammed into those big rectangular black plastic nursery trays ready to move house in a few weeks, so none are getting much in the way of light and room to grow, much less any attention to develop them.

Excellent prize there and I’m sure the winner will be thrilled.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm glad I checked this thread, I suffer from old-timers disease, and forget when I've entered these comps. Roll on 2023.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the nudge Mel, I probably need to do something myself. Think I'll start by finding my entry tree hahaha :oops:
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

:bump:
Thought I'd better bump this thread and make all the entrants aware we are coming up to the final straight for this competition. The finish line is imminent!
Photos of your timeline are important, so if you havent taken a shot of your entry for a while now might be a good time before spring kicks off in earnest, but ... as usual...
DON'T POST PICTURES YET!!
Keep them in a safe place so you can put them all together and submit with your final entry on 01/01/2023.
A reminder we have a fantastic pot up for grabs (courtesy of Elmer and 42Mice) along with a bag of akadama (as long as Ken is still OK with that) ... and I think I will see if I can find something else to add to the prize pool before January.
Good luck to all those who still have living entries, and to those who don't, remember the fact you entered at all gives you a vote at the end ... so there is still a good reason to keep interested!
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 25th, 2022, 11:59 am Keep them in a safe place so you can put them all together and submit with your final entry on 01/01/2023.
Funny you should say this. You might only get a couple pictures out of me now. Long story short....I store my pictures on a NAS (network attached storage) at home. 2 months ago I got hit by the deadbolt ransomware. I was stressing and restarted the NAS, which actually wipes all your data. Why idiots would bother to attack my home nas I will never understand. So yeah I will be short on a few pictures in the end
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Funny you should say this. You might only get a couple pictures out of me now. Long story short....I store my pictures on a NAS (network attached storage) at home. 2 months ago I got hit by the deadbolt ransomware. I was stressing and restarted the NAS, which actually wipes all your data. Why idiots would bother to attack my home nas I will never understand. So yeah I will be short on a few pictures in the end
Funny you should say this, dog ate my homework too. :( I've just repotted today, and set an air layer on it because it's way too tall for my vision, so will have start and not quite finished by January, I suspect. Oh well...
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

:bump:
Just over 3 weeks to go until we hit the deadline. If you haven’t got progression pics of your trees to this point, I’d say you left your run more than a little late, but for those who do, time to collate your shots and think about getting one last shot for your final submission.
I’ll think about how big a window people have to submit their entries in the next week or so and let you know, but rest assured I have no intention of letting this extend for months, so expect it to be on or pretty soon after the official end date (New Years Day from memory). Good luck to those still in the running to submit, but remember that even if you have an entry that no longer exists you still get to vote so long as you participated from the start and put a tree forward. It’s one of the benefits of being involved.
Less than a month.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the reminder, I'll get to work.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Submission Update :
January 1st, 2023 is the official cut off. I’ll take all entries submitted from now though, so if you’re ready to go feel free to post! I expect a mass influx in the next 24 hours! :D
It’s a pretty hectic time of year so I think a 2 week buffer after the official close to get your entries finalised and posted makes sense, if everyone who is still involved could post their final submission on this thread that would be great.
Final date for submission is January 14th, 2023

What to submit?
Any and all pics of your tree, the progression and any added text that will help explain the development of your tree. Post your ENTIRE entry in one post (including photos) on this thread with your username and tree species in the heading for clear reference.
Example : If I had a daffodil as my entry, the title for my thread would be :
Ryceman3, Daffodil
If the pics could be posted in order from oldest to most recent that would be incredibly helpful. ENTIRE ENTRY IN ONE POST IS IMPORTANT. Dribs and drabs make it hard to see things progress clearly, and hard for me to organise, so won’t be accepted… all together please!

Once all entries are in I will collate the submissions and set up a poll for voting. As stipulated in the beginning, voting is only for participants. That doesn’t mean you need a submission though. If your entry didn’t make the grade, the dog ate it or CoVid killed it, you can still vote so long as you entered the competition in the first place. Reward for participation!

Happy to take questions, but even happier when the whole thing is over and we can crown the winner… so, get your entries in!
GOOD LUCK!
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

Second attempt to get my images in the correct order .
Actually the third attempt and the fourth image should be in sixth place ( I think ) .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Very cool! Kinda glad mine kicked the bucket now seeing that :lol:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks to Regwac for being first to post.
Here is mine, a bottlebrush that has been a pleasure to work with. The idea was to match the pot shape with the tree shape, and it sort of worked out.

Return to “Current Contest”