[A Forest Tale] TimS – Trident Thicket

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: [A Forest Tale] TimS – Trident Thicket

Post by MJL »

Good stuff Tim. I am loving the fact that this competition is taking people to new places; thinking differently to what we may normally do. Keeping in mind too that the plantings need to be manageable in terms of size, weight, root management etc .... that is ...good bonsai practice, over time. It’s a fine balance to ensure we balance a realistic design and still maintain our focus on the trees too. Cheers for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Thanks Mark.

I move all my trees in the heat of summer multiple times in and out of the garage, so I’m accustomed to moving heavy plants. Having said that, I’m intending to chose a location for it to stay that it can remain in through mount the year, other than for the occasional update photo.

We’ll see how it goes, I might tweak it as I go to reduce the weight.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

One more addition for the forest that i'll be layering to create extra trees, found this at the local nursery for cheap, a 6ft tall trident with a trunk caliper bigger than anything in the group i currently have, but still with very subtle taper so it won't stand out like a sore thumb in there. Basically just to be a primary tree or a couple of primary trees in groups if i can layer multiples off it.
tme.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

TimS wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:09 am One more addition for the forest that i'll be layering to create extra trees ...
...Basically just to be a primary tree or a couple of primary trees in groups if i can layer multiples off it.

tme.jpg
Sounds good Tim, will you be layering now or after winter? I’d be tempted to go now if I were you, still enough warm weather to get a result before things cool down... having said that, I’m not really known for sitting still. This/these should add to your project for sure, as for me... still thinking... :lost: :beer:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Ryceman3 wrote: as for me... still thinking... :lost: :beer:
You’re not the first to get lost in a forest ...Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Alex_B »

I have to admit Tim I'm very much looking forward to seeing how your forest turns out. The trees you have so far look great, how many trees are you thinking will be in the forest?
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Ryceman3 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 8:31 pm
TimS wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:09 am One more addition for the forest that i'll be layering to create extra trees ...
...Basically just to be a primary tree or a couple of primary trees in groups if i can layer multiples off it.

tme.jpg
Sounds good Tim, will you be layering now or after winter? I’d be tempted to go now if I were you, still enough warm weather to get a result before things cool down... having said that, I’m not really known for sitting still. This/these should add to your project for sure, as for me... still thinking... :lost: :beer:
You still have time, no need rushing it so keep thinking. A spark will come along; maybe something you’ve always wanted to try, or something that uses trees you already have that could look good together, or something totally out of left field. My decision to use tridents was based on nothing more than being a species I’m confident with that’s all. You don’t necessarily need to have a fully formed plan to get stuck in. In fact my ideas only really started taking off after I had found the stock.

I may or may not air layer this soon, it was stuffed in among a dozen other plants so it’s not the healthiest at the moment. I am fertilising it heavily and giving it lots of sun to try to push a flush of growth. If it done so in the next 2 weeks I will layer it, if not then it will just get cut off and perhaps stuck as hardwood cuttings in late winter.

I’ll do my best not to waste any of it if at all possible.
Last edited by TimS on February 8th, 2020, 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Alex_B wrote: February 8th, 2020, 9:07 pm I have to admit Tim I'm very much looking forward to seeing how your forest turns out. The trees you have so far look great, how many trees are you thinking will be in the forest?
Thanks Alex, the ideas are coming thick and fast, the challenge will be realising them in the pot of course.

I think I will have 20 something trees to choose from when the time comes, but whether I end up with a 20+ tree forest in the end I’m not sure. It could be easy to get carried away trying to get every tree in and find its too dense, so less may end up being more in the end.

I’m really looking forward to getting to put this together though. As I say I’ve got a few plans, and a few that I haven’t shared on the forum yet, so it really hope it will come together well
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote: February 8th, 2020, 8:48 pm You’re not the first to get lost in a forest ...
TimS wrote: February 8th, 2020, 9:14 pm You still have time, no need rushing it so keep thinking. A spark will come along; maybe something you’ve always wanted to try, or something that uses trees you already have that could look good together, or something totally out of left field.
I’m building... always thinking (at least that’s what I tell myself!). Whatever happens, in the next week or so I’ll be looking for inspiration that is certain.
:beer:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

You've still got a couple of months yet, no worries!

I've been pushing my tridents through summer with pruning and defoliation to get another flush and ramification before autumn. It's worked quite well, though I've been a little lax with the pinching. They were crammed in among many boxes like these so i though it better to let them run a bit and get healthy before winter rather than pinch constantly. The smaller group i will be borrowing from has had the same treatment

box now
2.20a.jpg

group now
2.20b.jpg

heaps of cuttings that are rooting nicely
2.20c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Alex_B »

TimS wrote: February 8th, 2020, 9:21 pm
Alex_B wrote: February 8th, 2020, 9:07 pm I have to admit Tim I'm very much looking forward to seeing how your forest turns out. The trees you have so far look great, how many trees are you thinking will be in the forest?
Thanks Alex, the ideas are coming thick and fast, the challenge will be realising them in the pot of course.

I think I will have 20 something trees to choose from when the time comes, but whether I end up with a 20+ tree forest in the end I’m not sure. It could be easy to get carried away trying to get every tree in and find its too dense, so less may end up being more in the end.

I’m really looking forward to getting to put this together though. As I say I’ve got a few plans, and a few that I haven’t shared on the forum yet, so it really hope it will come together well

I guess you would need a pretty big pot if you were to have a 20+ tree forest in there. It looks like you've got a great variety of trees to choose from though so I'm sure it will all come together well.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Time for a little context for where my inspiration is coming from for my eventual grouping.

Many years and moons ago i first went to Japan on a study tour that took me to Hokkaido. I spent 3-4 weeks there, home-staying and speaking nothing but Japanese as my host family had virtually no English at all. For the last few days we travelled down to Kyoto, and my fellow students and I made a day trip out to the western region of Arashiyama. It was there that i left some big pieces of my heart, and i have faithfully returned to Kyoto on each on my trips after that.

I often credit seeing the avenue of huge Ginkgo trees at Sapporo University in full autumn glory, and walking under them in ankle deep leaves as the moment i first truly fell in love with trees. Well if that was the first moment, then Arashiyama sealed my fate and became what pushed me into loving Japanese Maples and growing bonsai maples for the burning red and orange hillsides. The tranquil walk through the bamboo groves to the Tenryu-ji temple and seeing the garden designed by renowned designer Muso Soseki spoke to a part of me that could never be satisfied by the native bushlands of my own home. My life would never again be the same, though it would take some years more for me to head into Horticulture formally.

Let me be absolutely clear; i am not trying to faithfully recreate the Arashiyama region.

I am simply taking a memory i have of the region (and the following images found on a quick google search for your benefit) as a small inspiration for trying to capture the essence of what i found there. I have no ambition whatsoever for this to be a miniature Arashiyama, though i may attempt that one day, simply my aim is to capture a peace and tranquility i found there unlooked for.

Whether this is ultimately successful remains to be seen.

My tridents have been growing incredibly well, are still shooting now with no signs of slowing down for autumn whatsoever. I'm really looking forward to this one, i feel a new bonsai vigour in me that has been missing for a while and will hopefully spur me on to greater bonsai things in the future.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Those colours are awesome!
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Wonderful photos and background Tim. I'm stoked that this competition is providing renewed inspiration for you. Great to see and thanks for the continual updates. :yes:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

It has been a cold and dreary, but mercifully dry, Saturday in Melbourne and i have itchy fingers for starting this group.

I had a look around at pots, and decided to go with this cream one. I couldn't bring myself to use the koyo in the end fearing any damage to it.
tident comp pot.jpeg

Getting stuck into the polystyrene box fully to see what i have. Very conveniently they separated as 3-4 clumps of trees which made assembly very straight forward. Minimal root pruning was required which made life easy.

trident comp 1.jpeg

The small group also came apart for me to pull a few trees from.
trident comp 2.jpeg

Roughing in were the primary clump and the secondaries will end up
trident comp 3.jpeg

Top down view of the layout
trident comp 4.jpeg

The saucer goes in for trial fit. This is an idea i have in my head but i don't know if it it will actually work, but basically this appears as a dry pond bed, but can also be filled for display purposes. It's going to get feral so it may be removed and become more trees or an open area in a wood in future
trident comp 5.jpeg

Working some of the rocks i smashed up earlier in the thread in to hide the saucer from view.
trident comp 6.jpeg

After a clean up and a little trim back of some of the trees
trident comp 7.jpeg

Different angle
trident comp 8.jpeg

And on a protected bench to settle in
trident comp 9.jpeg

Total number of trees used is 23. I have i think 11 or so left over from the two groups i started with, so a smaller group will be in the future plans somewhere.

From here it will be mossed eventually, a pathway will be added and the saucer idea may be refined/ improved/ removed/ not sure yet. It is heavy but it is also manageable so i think i pass that rule! All in all i'm happy with it how it has come together, now i settle in for refining it for the next 3 years or whatever of the competition :fc:

For anyone wondering, that extra trident i picked up for potential use in the group has actually been cut back down to start life over being it's own tree
tridentrestart.jpeg

Return to “Current Contest”