[A Forest Tale] Boom64-Flat Rock.

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

[A Forest Tale] Boom64-Flat Rock.

Post by boom64 »

Am travelling back in time to when a few mates would often go out camping .Our favourite site had a hill with a huge exposed flattish rock ,The bush was pretty scraggly. Good Times..
Have a collection of smaller seedlings, Kunzeas ,Coastal Tee Trees and a few Claret Tops hanging around .Another mixed attempt. Not sure which piece of sandstone I will use. Hope this is ok Mark. John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: [A Forest Tale] Boom64-Flat Rock.

Post by MJL »

Thanks for entering John, I’m really looking forward to watching your progression. I have a view that trees and settings inspired by memories and good times will be reflected in the care and outcome. Your innate ability to capture the essence of rugged, natural beauty will be interesting for all to see, I reckon.

No drama with your trees and approach ... all in line with guidelines and intent of competition. The mixed species adds to the challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

A quick update on Flat Rock, could not find a pot big enough so have improvised and created the one you see. A bit on the heavy side but manageable. Also have changed rock selection ,hope this is o.k Mark. Trees have settled in well and pushing along nicely. Cut back several at planting time and looks like they need another snip. Cheers John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Very, very cool. I can already picture walking to the top of a hill, cracking open a beer with mates and watching the sunset while having a chuckle about past shenanigans. Everything is OK with this entry John... the 'rules'/guidelines are pretty loose, I'd only be worried if someone attempted something that was outside the spirit of the comp... and I am not sure what that would be :lol: - this is right in the spirit of the comp. :yes:
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

A somewhat fuzzy pic of what's been happening .All trees have been powering on and have been cut back about six weeks ago, simple could not see what was going on. Have been experimenting with papercrete , as a ceramic pot is going to be way to heavy and near impossible to get in the right shape. Full time job these forests . Cheers John.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Full time when you are pushing the boundaries of creativity with pots, landscapes etc like you, Matt and Tim are (to name a few) ... I hope fun too.

With my native forests (in the Natural Comp) - after bending trunks early - especially the swampies, kunzea and the moonah - I am finding rough-cutting back the verdant growth - a couple of times through spring and another in autumn is a great way to proceed - pushes a lot of new growth (including limited back-budding on the moonah) from then which clip’n’grow works as opposed to wiring. (Not saying don’t wire - just that wiring inside the complexity and density of that growth is very hard to do.)

Thanks for the update John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

Hi All ,another update, can just about see what is happening. Have cut back pretty hard ,still think the trees are dominating the rock a little to much. After this cold spell passes, i will cut back again.
First papercrete pot was a little ordinary , way to thick but will persist. John.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by boom64 »

Time for a update. Have been a bit slack with this one. Cut back several times thankfully starting to get a bit of thickening of trunks .Future plans are to start selecting secondary branches to work with. Still think the trees are overpowering the rock .Not easy these forests. Cheers John.

Return to “Current Contest”