[ A Forest Tale] Juglans regia - Jan

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

[ A Forest Tale] Juglans regia - Jan

Post by Jan »

These Walnuts have had many incarnations over the years but they are off on a new adventure now as I combine them into one composition and try to make them into something that will be their "forever" role.
20200507 1148 Walnuts.JPG
These are two of four trees that I have growing at the moment. I may only use three of them for the forest but will add other suitable trees that I have about to make them into a forest planting. I'll have to do some research and see what other species they are usually growing with but am thinking of including some Trident Maples into the forest mix.
P1030961.JPG
Now I've made a start by entering, let's see where this quest takes us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [ A Forest Tale] Juglans regia - Jan

Post by Jan »

Well, I've made a start. The day was sunny but not at all warm!

For this project I've had a Disney-esque landscape in mind. I'm trying for a glade deep in an old forest that could belong in a Disney animation for my "Once upon a time, in a forest far, far away....".

I needed a focal point for the glade so I hunted through my rock collection (you may have seen in posts elsewhere that I am a rock collector) and found one that I thought might suit.
20200507 1625 Walnut Forest.JPG
20200507 1704 Walnut forest.JPG
I'll use gravel to disguise the edges of the bowl and to create a "dry" stream bed that wanders out from the pool and back off into the distance. I hope to add water in the bowl with gravel out over the edges making the "shallows" of the pond.
20200507 1803 Walnut forest under construction.JPG
Soil will be piled up behind the rock to form a small hill and I will add maples to the right hand side of the "hill" trailing away to smaller trees to try for the look of forest off into the distance. I'll add gravel to the pond and surrounds to create a dry creek bed trailing off between the rock and the large walnut on the right of the image. At least, this is the plan at this stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

I've decided against my original thought of using maples for the plantings at the rear of the pot to try for the impression of trees/forest dwindling into the distance and am in the process of taking some cuttings from the walnuts to make this an all walnut forest. The walnuts have not started to shoot yet so still time to take cuttings. While this will make this a longer term project I think it will be worth it in the long run.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Cuttings taken and the front half of this forest "landscaped' with moss and a gravel dry streambed.
20200906 Walnut cuttings r.jpg
20200522_Walnut forest landscaped r.jpg
Now we wait for the the cuttings to grow roots and take their place in the composition.

For those who may be interested the smallest tree, in the left, front of the image, was once a literati in the previous Literati comp. It has been chopped as I moved on from that style, regrown some branches and found a home as part of this forest. Waste not,... :D
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Very disapointed (and a bit surprised) that none of the cuttings took so no young walnuts to add to the setting. I will have to rethink "the plan" and see what else may suit to flesh out the forest.

Jan
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Jan,

Looking at your group, I wouldn’t be too disappointed at the cuttings not taking ... I was unsure how you would reconcile the trunk size in cuttings to the strong trunks in the group of three ...

It has an ominous, strong look to it as it is and I would continue up to play into that feeling. I also wonder if or two of the trunks can be slightly tilted to create a touch less 3 straight pillars ....

Of course don’t take my thoughts as gospel ... just an observation from a distance.

Good and different - thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Yes, MJL, I'm toying with the idea of changing this group to a slightly smaller oval pot, creating two hills and planting the trees as a group.

I really don"t think I have any other material with that "presence" to tie in with this group and make it a convincing forest.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

It’s very tricky material Jan. First/group - don’t be too concerned in the context of the competition - just do what you feel is right for the setting. As noted before / it is an ominous set of trees (this morning I thought they looked like Orcs!!) I think a tight group of three could work - a three headed monster!! Of course, I mean no offence worn that description but I would play into that theme if it was me … if it was planted close together could moss cover the base and give a sense of a multi-trunk in some way , just ideas as a wake up this cold, wet Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Yes, I think I'll have to do some serious sitting and pondering with this one.

I think that they'll make a harmonious group but would like them to be part of a forest. Toying with loosing the rock/pond, introducing a change of level (mound) for the largest tree (the one on the right in the photos) and tightening up the group planting.

Spring repotting time is a while away (gale force westerlies with snow blowing on them and SERIOUS wind chill, today), something may come to me on a better day to complete this "forest", if not I'll settle with it as a group.

Reinventing, contemplating is part of the journey with trees, after all one of these used to be a literati before it was choped to grow new branches.

Jan
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Just as a thought….
If it was mine, I would place the largest tree on a mound over the rock to the middle/front right, so it looks more like a cliff large tree growing on top of cliff. With the dry creek bed still flowing under/in front of rock as you have it. Then plant the two existing trees lower, closer together and more to the back left. I think your biggest problem IMO is the size of the pot seems too small for everything to fit into it and still look balanced :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Hi Mark, Could you please remove this planting from the "Forest" competition?

I have decided to plant them as a group of three instead of trying for a forest, a walnut knoll.
20210920_153540 Walnuts.jpg
Much as I love the simplicity of the form and the colour, there is no getting away from the fact that this is a big brute of a pot (check the 50c peice on the edge) and my muscles object to the lift :shake: so the image is on the shelf where it lives. It is well suited to big trees and has enough area within in to create a bit of a landscape/story to try to make the setting "beleivable". I may have moved on from the forest but am now hooked on trying to see the "story" within the setting. Creating a story's a great excuse to use some of my collected rock :lol: (though only a little here, this pot is heavy enough already!).

And, yes, MJL, I can see hobbits, or any of an array of characters, walking this path. ;)

Jan
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

I think it looks great. To me, the big trunks add a sense of malice when together like that.
I can see Snow White wandering through on a dark evening…
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jan »

Yes, Promethius, they certainly have a presence as do full size mature walnuts. Thanks for the support.

Maybe I could find a tiny troll (ready to waylay those using the path) to hide in the roots of the tree on the left.

I considered planting them in a tighter group but I'm mindfull of just how much leaf they will put on when they open and I think that the look of the group then, with the center knoll and path passed the rock in deep shade will be the look that I'm going for this time.

Who knows what will become of the group in the future...the plants and the settings are always evolving, but, for the moment, I'm happy with this.

Jan

Return to “Current Contest”