3 Year Time Capsule Comp - Voting

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.

Who should win the 3 year Time Capsule Competition ?

Poll ended at February 1st, 2023, 11:36 am

regwac - English Elm
14%
Watto - Callistemon Viminalis
14%
Ryceman3 - Melaleuca Ericifolia
16%
Miikeboyle - Japanese Black Pine
12%
greg27 - Jacaranda
4%
melbrackstone - Diospyros (Ebony)
1%
gnichols - Japanese Maple
5%
terryb - Melaleuca Armillaris
8%
John_M - Crepe Myrtle
11%
Keels - Japanese Red Pine
15%

Total votes: 74

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

3 Year Time Capsule Comp - Voting

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi all,

Voting can now begin, so please nominate the tree you think has shown the best development over the past 3 years from the entries that were submitted.
Note, this voting thread is ONLY FOR ENTRANTS, as was stipulated at the beginning of the comp. I'm not even sure it's possible to make a poll that only certain members can interact with, so I am really relying on the honesty of the community to keep it "as per the rules".

I could create a separate poll (or somebody else is welcome to) for a general vote ... a "people's choice" type thing where everybody can have a say if that proves a popular idea. The idea behind the "only entrants can vote" was to encourage more people to place submissions when the competition began, not trying to cut people out from having a say... particular apologies in this regard to those who have joined the forum when the competition was already in progress.

In any case, if you entered the comp initially (regardless of whether you submitted a final entry) ... you are eligible to vote here.
Keep in mind we are looking for the entry that developed the best in your mind over the competition, as illustrated by the images each entrant submitted.

Three votes per entrant, which I think is pretty generous given there are only 10 submissions left standing!

Voting will be open until February 1st, with the winner announced soon after.

The entrant with the most votes will be considered the winner ...

In terms of prizes, winner takes all, there is no 2nd or 3rd etc. Entrants are playing for the Matthew Allam (42Mice) pot as illustrated in the entry thread ... and below. I'm not sure about the bag of akadama that was originally tabled by Ken ... but if he is still good with adding that to the prize pool then I will let him sort that out with the lucky winner too!

The entrants are listed in the order their final submission was posted.
I am happy to answer all questions/queries in relation to any of the above, if there is conjecture that requires adjudication, I will implement R3_God mode as outlined at the beginning of this competition. Thankfully this mode is only valid until the end of this competition and will cease to exist as of the announcement of the winner. Another reason to celebrate! :P

I will put another post below with before/after pics of each finalist for reference ... give me a second to compile that!

Thanks to all for getting involved, and good luck.
:beer: :yes:
42M-01.jpg
42M-02.jpg
42M-03.jpg
42M-04.jpg
42M-05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: 3 Year Time Capsule Comp - Voting

Post by Ryceman3 »

Heres a reference for the entries listed above as promised, you can see a full submission for each (with all the photos and text) in the thread here ... viewtopic.php?p=273212#p273212
01 regwac_01.jpeg
01 regwac_02.jpeg
02 Watto_01.jpg
02 Watto_02.jpg
03 R3_01.jpg
03 R3_02.jpg
04 Miikeboyle_01.jpeg
04 Miikeboyle_02.jpeg
05 greg27_01.jpeg
05 greg27_02.jpeg
06 melbrackstone_01.jpeg
06 melbrackstone_02.jpeg
07 gnichols_01.jpeg
07 gnichols_02.jpeg
08 terryb_01.jpeg
08 terryb_02.jpeg
09 John_M_01.jpeg
09 John_M_02.jpeg
10 Keels_01.jpeg
10 Keels_02.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Well as i entered even though mine died; my 3 votes are in, good luck to everyone, sensational efforts across the 3 years :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

TimS wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:56 pm Well as i entered even though mine died; my 3 votes are in, good luck to everyone, sensational efforts across the 3 years :tu:
Thats the spirit Tims!!! Thanks for taking the time to vote (and entering initially), as the politicians seem to tell us relentlessly, every one counts!
:yes:
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Well I've voted. Good luck to everyone. Thanks Ryceman3 for putting this comp on and sourcing prizes.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Ryceman3 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:36 pm
TimS wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:56 pm Well as i entered even though mine died; my 3 votes are in, good luck to everyone, sensational efforts across the 3 years :tu:
Thats the spirit Tims!!! Thanks for taking the time to vote (and entering initially), as the politicians seem to tell us relentlessly, every one counts!
Thanks for putting it on! Although I couldn’t see it through to the end it was a fun challenge to grow for development in a short period of time.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I thought I would show my 4th class math's.
There were about 30 odd entries in this comp, so there should be about 90 eligible votes. As there are only about 30 votes so far there are a few more that are still available.
There is only a week to go so chop chop folks.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Watto wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 5:36 am I thought I would show my 4th class math's.
There were about 30 odd entries in this comp, so there should be about 90 eligible votes. As there are only about 30 votes so far there are a few more that are still available.
There is only a week to go so chop chop folks.
I think your maths is accurate Watto ... and your motivational "encouragement" is also appreciated!
Watto is indeed correct with the timeframe too, just a week or so left so those still eligible to vote, get on it!!
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks R3, Miss Carr would be pleased :lol: :lol:
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dendrophile Dave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native & Northern Suburbs Melbourne

Post by Dendrophile Dave »

excuse me for butting in but will there be another comp starting? i'm new and still navigating the forum but keen to get on board with a challenge like this, cheers
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Dendrophile Dave wrote: January 26th, 2023, 10:28 pm excuse me for butting in but will there be another comp starting? i'm new and still navigating the forum but keen to get on board with a challenge like this, cheers
Comps are available for anybody to develop and run with whatever rules/goals/prizes they see fit, providing I guess admin are happy with it. I have no plans to start another one in the near future, but perhaps others are open to putting forward an idea and getting something going. Keep a look out, or maybe start one up!?!
:beer:

PS: February 1st is closing! Vote if you’re eligible and haven’t already!
;) :yes:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

:bump:

Last calls… it’s all finished tomorrow so for those who had an entry in this comp and haven’t yet voted, now is the time!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ok… so what does everybody think we should do??

Because I graduated in accounting I like to balance stuff. Unfortunately we’re in a bit of a pickle. It seems we have quite a few more votes than the eligible voters. I have looked at the “last log in dates” for eligible voters, and 20-21 people have logged in during the voting period. That means maximum votes to right now should be 63. They are more than that, and given the places are so close I think that it has made a big difference.

Happy to take advice from anyone/everyone on how to rectify this issue… or (for gods sake I hope not) will the R3GodMode go from joke to reality!??!??
:beer:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

People are incapable of reading basic instructions it seems. No idea whatsoever how you fix it, other than perhaps those who have entered and can vote in it PM you their selections?

From that you correlate that the people PM'ing you actually entered, and from that derive the winner(s)?

easy for us; whom we selected in the vote are in bold so there's no head scratching for us, and for you you have more work but you can be sure who has voted?

About the only way i can think of to actually keep it as intended; participant only voting
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Classic internet :lol: your comp so you could just R3GodMode it or conduct a vote as TimS mentions.

Return to “Current Contest”