[SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

AusBonsai will be holding regular contests about bonsai in Australia and bonsai with Australian natives. Check here for the current contests.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

[SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

Post by Promethius »

A thread to ask questions, share seed sources and so forth.

Please post your entry in its own thread and refer to the competition rules: https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 41#p303841.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: [SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

Post by DaveZ »

Where it says:
Promethius wrote: April 7th, 2024, 8:00 am 6. One final entry per participant. There’s no restriction on how many trees you can grow for the comp, but you have to choose a single final contender.
If we want to try, say, 3 different species, 2 individual trees per species, we would run 6 separate threads in the,(yet to be created), competition subforum, but then select one individual tree to be our only entry on the end date, does that sound about right?

Cheers,
Dave.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: [SYANBS] Discussion thread for the Six-Year Australian Native Bonsai from Seed Competition

Post by Promethius »

On reflection, I think one entry per participant is too restrictive - I've opened it up so people can enter more than one tree, but only one per species.

I think the forum will get flooded if there's one thread per tree. If you're only doing a few trees you could fit it all on one thread, but if you're doing several trees from a few species, perhaps open a few threads. Up to you.
Yes, the username is misspelled: no, I can’t change it.

Andy
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DaveZ »

I like your thinking 👍

I'd imagine they'll start a separate subforum for all the comp threads so it shouldn't matter too much how many individual threads people start. I think I'll do one for each species, that'll be the easiest way to keep track of everything I reckon.

Better decide on some species and start finding a source for some seeds.
*jarrad*
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aus Natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by *jarrad* »

I'm in! Time to start looking for something a little bit random to grow!

Thanks for organising.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I'm keen to have a crack. One limitation I can see is then requirement to grow from seed. This should be fine for species that have seeds with long viability if they can be sourced before the start. Other species with short viability like Lilly Pilly's and figs won't have viable seeds in June. I suppose they could be started later. However if cuttings were allowed it does open the possibilities a fair bit.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I vote to continue with the "from seed" option, if there is a vote.
You can take some pretty big cuttings from some natives (e.g. Bottlebrush) and have much further advanced stock to start with, creating a somewhat uneven playing field as some species are strictly from seed.
Just my opinion,
Jan
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

I'm curious where people would be sourcing viable native seed from in small quantities. The reputable growers I've asked aren't willing to sell retail and other places I've tried have all had zero germination rates.

I know I can just do a search and there are many results, but I'd appreciate if you could share:

- Business who are willing to sell in small quantities (I don't want to buy a kilo of seed for $250)
- Business where you've had decent successful germination rates
anthonycocco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Coral Bark Maple

Post by anthonycocco »

https://www.wildseedtasmania.com.au/

Good source of seeds in smaller or larger quantities.
Big variety of natives that would work well for this competition.
anthonycocco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Coral Bark Maple

Post by anthonycocco »

I am going to try the impossible and grow Nothofagus Gunnii, Australia's only true deciduous native, in Melbourne for this competition. Ive sourced some seed from wildseed tasmania and some germination advice from Jarryd Bailey. Wish me luck!
sand
Favorite Species: melaleuca ericifolia
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by sand »

I'm definitely interested. Filling the role of non competitive beginner. I dabbled in bonsai as a kid but have been meaning to try get back into it. And a bit of extra motivation to make sure it happens this year could be good
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I've had good service and good germination of native seed from Nindethana seed in WA. The few times I didn't get good germination was because I did not apply the correct pre-treatment.
They have a huge range and I think they have all species by the packet at $4.00 each.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
olicreighton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by olicreighton »

anthonycocco wrote: April 8th, 2024, 4:54 pm I am going to try the impossible and grow Nothofagus Gunnii, Australia's only true deciduous native, in Melbourne for this competition. Ive sourced some seed from wildseed tasmania and some germination advice from Jarryd Bailey. Wish me luck!
If it’s alive in 6 years, you have my vote - regardless of design :hooray:
Young, dumb and excited to contribute to this wonderful forum and the wider bonsai community.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

I had almost promised myself not to acquire any more sticks in pots as I thought I'd run out of space, benches and pots ... but this comp has me eager to try growing from seed some trees I didn't think I'd ever get to try ... so I just ordered some; Golden Wattle, Forest Red Gum, Sydney Red Gum and Lemon Scented Gum (selection based purely on a 5 sec search of "fast growing native trees"). Now to read what I've gotten myself in to!
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DaveZ »

shibui wrote: April 8th, 2024, 5:43 pm I've had good service and good germination of native seed from Nindethana seed in WA.
I've always had good results with seed from these guys too.

In fact, I've been happy with seeds from just about everywhere I've bought from over the years, including eBay. Except that one time I bought rainbow gum seeds and just got dust in a ziplock bag :lol:

Return to “Current Contest”