What's available?

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
wezzo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 2

What's available?

Post by wezzo »

Hi all,

I am a first time user of this, in fact any, forum. I may not have done enough reading and this information may be available in another post but does anyone know of bonsai pots that are produced here in Australia? Are there any websites where I might be able to view the ranges of anything that is available here? I am a small town bonsai enthusiast and I am fairly 'green' as far as experience goes but I am looking for some pots that are different to what I have available to me at the moment. I didn't think that would be so hard considering the only range I have available to me at this point are the mass produced range that have only just become available at our Bunnings store.

Any information you might be able to provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wes.
Gary Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Most
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai/Bonsai Society of Australia

Re: What's available?

Post by Gary Bee »

G/Day! Wezza,

Welcome! Have you by any chance come across Brian Inglis in Rocky? :D

Brian had a good website and some marvellous native bonsai.
He also had a winning tree internationally at one stage.
Brian was also a potter and ran a small bonsai group which met regularly at his home in Rocky.
Just google <Bonsai Brian Inglis> and you should have him.

He would be the best contact for pots without you travelling to Brisbane. :idea:

:idea: :idea: I'm pretty sure Pat kennedy of Mirkwood fame would take mail orders as will Lynette at Mudlark Pottery.
Both are members of Ausbonsai.
Keep checking the posts or send them a Personal Message and I am sure they will respond favourably.

Please let me know what you find about Brian Inglis?

Regards
Gary
Yamadori is purely Bonsai in spades
My Avatar is a female Apis Mellifera (honey bee) from before 2600BC
Up until now she has been responsible for pollinating 80% of mankind's fruit and vegetables
as well as 90% of mother earth's flowers. What if...............?
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

It's 'Penny Davis' at Mudlark Pottery, Lynette Smith is another potter near Tamworth.
Penny, Pat Kennedy of Mirkwood and Lynette are all very friendly and helpful.
Oh yes, you could try Lindsay Bebb's website. He used to have a large bonsai nursery in Coopers Plains, Brisbane and now runs a mail order business. I would rather imagine he would have pots to sell there and he is reliable. I don't know the web address but if you goggle Lindsay Bebb Bonsai you will find a link quick smart. Both Ray Nesci Bonsai and Bonsai South in Sydney have websites [google again ... I just jump in the car] and I am sure there would be pots for sale. And isn't there 'Red Dragon Bonsai' to the south of Brisbane? All places to try. You will find commercial pots cheaper than handmade and possibly better value until you start getting trees that deserve a handmade pot. And trust me... that doesn't take long.

Re Bunnings pots... they are cheap. They are pressed pots and most have water collecting indentations at the bottom. This is not a problem with good soil and water loving species but if you have a tree that prefers drier soil they could be deadly. Also watch the rims... inward rims can make repotting a thing of less than joy and beauty.
Last edited by MelaQuin on August 3rd, 2009, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

Lee I live near Coffs Harbour, quite a distance from Tamworth.
I have just (yesterday afternoon)visited a very good bonsai nursery just north of Brisbane about 3 min of the expressway at Morayfield, I have spelt it wrong, but am too tired to go to the car and get the map. It is owned by Tess Simpson, who is a very nice and helpfull lady. She has some very good bonsai and lots of stock plants, pots, stones and all other things bonsai related.
If anybody is in the area it is well worth the visit.
Lynette
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

Lynette wrote:Lee I live near Coffs Harbour, quite a distance from Tamworth.
I have just (yesterday afternoon)visited a very good bonsai nursery just north of Brisbane about 3 min of the expressway at Morayfield, I have spelt it wrong, but am too tired to go to the car and get the map. It is owned by Tess Simpson, who is a very nice and helpfull lady. She has some very good bonsai and lots of stock plants, pots, stones and all other things bonsai related.
If anybody is in the area it is well worth the visit.
Lynette
lynette. this is to true, i have been to tess's nursery several times. it is bonsai northside nursery. 15 devine court morayfield. she has an excellent array of stock trees, ready made bonsai. pre trained stock. pots etc. like you said, and i have found prices to be very very good. i know she is willing to post wire as i have enquired about this. as for pots i dont see why not.
the website is

http://www.bonsainorthsidenursery.com.au/

you can contact tess via the website.

cheers jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”