Specialty Product

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Duckbed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olives, Ficus Boganvillia, Wisteria
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: 0

Specialty Product

Post by Duckbed »

Hi Fellow Potters,

I have recently come accross this product and was hoping to see if anyone has any experience using it. I found it at the local Pottery store and asked them about it's use and they were unable to provide an specific information other than saying that it produces a Bark like effect - they think. They were unable to tell me how to use it.... So I bought it anyway! :roll: :lol:

The Directions on the bottle say nothing!
Tried google...
Tried to find the Manufacture :?: Don't know who this is.... there is just a Logo!

Any way... reaching out here....!

Cheers
Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Duckbed on October 24th, 2014, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Re: Specialty Product

Post by JaseH »

Hi Rick, it might be Sodium Silicate?

I'm not a potter but my mum is. You can brush sodium silicate onto the outside of a wet pot, then hit it with a heat gun or flame and it creates a hard shell, to get the bark like effect you then draw the pot out further which causes the shell to crack like bark.
Last edited by JaseH on October 24th, 2014, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
pommie_mal
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese black pine, juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by pommie_mal »

I did a quick Google search & found that Keane Ceramics have it in this catalogue
http://www.keaneceramics.com.au/pdf/Aut ... alogue.pdf
It says it causes clay to crackle & bubble. Listed as "SP017 Corrosion".
Duckbed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Duckbed »

Thanks peeps. Your Google search powers are better than mine! Going to give it a test run now!
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

It is sold by Keanes Ceramics and I bought some to try, but it only worked on earthenware. I tried several stoneware clays and could not get the same result.
So I don't think it will be much help for bonsai pots.
Lynette
joannm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Saotome Azalea
Bonsai Age: 45
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by joannm »

I can't believe the store that sold it to you had no idea what to do with a product they sell :palm:
:palm: especially when it can be DANGEROUS to your health. anything like this product that has no information should be kept well away from.
If it is sodium silicate you need to wear a mask, this IS NOT a product for beginners .
PLEASE , this is why we learn pottery as a subject.
like the art of bonsai, you don't just cut up a tree ,it takes experience to know what you are doing.

take it back and get your money back.

sodium silicate does work on stoneware, if you decide to get lessons you may get to learn how to use it.

In all my years doing ceramics I have never been into a supplier who doesn't have experience or knowledge of all their products .

one very angry artist here :x joann
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Lynette wrote:It is sold by Keanes Ceramics and I bought some to try, but it only worked on earthenware. I tried several stoneware clays and could not get the same result.
So I don't think it will be much help for bonsai pots.
Lynette
Isn't that what Pat Kennedy uses on his cracked pots?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

Pat used sodium silicate on his cracked pots. He usually told people when he was demonstrating that it was quite dangerous and to wear a mask.
The product that was being asked about is something different. It smells bit like a weak acid ( I still have it somewhere in my shed) and I have achieved a similar effect with vinegar and bicarb soda, but it was some time ago and I can't remember the exact details, but I am sure I tried the vinegar/bicabr mix on stoneware also and it didn't work on the clay I used it on. It was probably BRT, as that was what I was mostly using at the time.
The effect both these methods on earthenware clay is really nice and I have tried several ways to get it on stoneware, but with no success.
Lynette
Duckbed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Duckbed »

joannm wrote:I can't believe the store that sold it to you had no idea what to do with a product they sell :palm:
:palm: especially when it can be DANGEROUS to your health. anything like this product that has no information should be kept well away from.
If it is sodium silicate you need to wear a mask, this IS NOT a product for beginners .
PLEASE , this is why we learn pottery as a subject.
like the art of bonsai, you don't just cut up a tree ,it takes experience to know what you are doing.

take it back and get your money back.

sodium silicate does work on stoneware, if you decide to get lessons you may get to learn how to use it.

In all my years doing ceramics I have never been into a supplier who doesn't have experience or knowledge of all their products .

one very angry artist here :x joann

Hi Joann,

The Labeling was very clear that is was non - toxic and the Ladies were very helpful in attempting to get as much information as possible on the product but weren't able to find the data sheet there and then. (If i had more time they would have found it). They knew the in's and outs of every other product that we quizzed them about so I lay no blame on them. Please don't hold it against them. I was happy to experiment.

I've been doing pottery for 6 years now and have had lessons, (not formal study and I'm no expert - this is a hobby for me.) and am aware of the dangers in allot of the materials that are involved in ceramics (even the clay itself isn't good for you if you breath the dust).

I've had formal training in another field - Formal study is great but everything you learn in formal study has come from someone experimenting.....

Moving on..

So far I have had some limited trials.... I'll do some more and post some photos shortly however..

Keanes - Toast Clay - Stoneware - when it was Leatherhard - no effect.
Keanes White - Stoneware - Green (dry) - Worked - amazing - like the name, the effect looked corroded.

No real conclusions yet other than - "wait for the clay to dry at least" :palm:

Cheers,
Rick
joannm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Saotome Azalea
Bonsai Age: 45
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by joannm »

Sorry Rick , as everyone knows I do get stirred up :palm:
I took the liberty to find out more about the product for you . I emailed the distributor and they sent me the information.
you will note it DOES NOT work on stoneware .
regards joann

4.7. CORROSION
4.7.1. USAGE
Chrysanthos Color Co. Ltd. Corrosion is a water-based product that once applied to
earthenware greenware causes the clay to bubble and crater. The effect once dry is
bisque fired then glazed over and refired.
Corrosion is used to create special effects on clay and is destructive in its nature so
care she be adopted when using the product to ensure that only the areas where the
effect is required are coated.
CHRYSANTHOS Ceramic Product & Information Manual 30
4.7.2. APPLICATION
Using greenware, decide what areas the effect is desired on and apply Corrosion
liberally. The more Corrosion that is applied the more accentuated the effect,
however beware not to overdo it as it also weakens the clay. Occasionally it may be
appropriate to dip the piece in a container filled with Corrosion.
Once the piece has completed bubbling and cratering, allow it to dry thoroughly as
you would greenware before firing. Once dry, it may be fired to harden the area so
that other decoration can take place.
Any Corrosion that has been in contact with clay should be discarded and the
remainder sealed in the container and stored in a cool dry place.

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”