Bonsai tune up

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
nasanerd

Bonsai tune up

Post by nasanerd »

Hi all, new to the forum and to bonsai and I need a little help. I've got this beautiful new bonsai for $35. It has however been a little neglected, the moss was dead, it was in dire need of a water and many parts had died off. So I've given it a good trim and remiss end it .
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418716001.075655.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418716026.360201.jpg
I think it's a kings wood box plant? What is the best way to promote growth in the areas that have died out, see image included. Thanks all!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418715908.339776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418715939.588584.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Bonsai tune up

Post by shibui »

Water well. Fertilise well and keep trimming. You may have to cut the top even harder to get buds to grow lower down on the bare trunks. While they are happily growing at the top most trees do not want to waste energy on buds down below. It is only when they feel the top is in danger they will try to grow new buds lower - just in case so pruning harder on top is often the best way to get new shoots.

I'm not too sure that you really need lots of growth down below. I think the multi trunks look good with bare trunks and a good canopy.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”