Pottery Rules

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Pottery Rules

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

So I got a Squamata that I haven't attempted to style yet from the 2015 Auburn Community Market because I'm also looking for the right pot.
Its current trunk design from when it was bought is in a Informal Upright

Whats an ideal pot selection for the design and plant specie or get it custom made by someone like Janet Selby?
Kind Regards
Allen
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Re: Pottery Rules

Post by Andrew F »

xIIRevoEvoS wrote:So I got a Squamata that I haven't attempted to style yet from the 2015 Auburn Community Market because I'm also looking for the right pot.
Its current trunk design from when it was bought is in a Informal Upright

Whats an ideal pot selection for the design and plant specie or get it custom made by someone like Janet Selby?
You would really need to post a pic of the tree and maybe some dimensions. Ive tried to get custom pots made and have been flat out refused unless i show up in person with the intended tree :tounge: :tounge: :tounge: but once I did it made alot of sense.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

I have had a few pots made/suggested by potters and have had no troubles getting them to offer guidance, I have provided pics of the tree and dimensions and they have helped with size/style/colour. I would suggest you style your tree before you look for a pot though as finding a pot for a tree while it is unstyled will make it very difficult to match the tree once it is styled. You might have an idea of what the finished product will be, but things often don't turn it quite like you want/expect.

As far as guidelines or rules go,

Normally powerful or masculine trees suggest a hard rectangle, softer feminine trees suggest a softer edged rectangle or oval/round pot. Literati or bunjin trees area often in low round or oval pots that are very feminine and cascade trees need a cascade pot most of the time. As far as glaze, normally conifers in unglazed brown/red/grey, deciduous in glazes that either compliment summer or autumn foliage colour or the trees bark, but nothing so bright as to detract from the tree. Shohin you can get away with much more.

There's a great couple of articles on the Erin Bonsai/pottery website regarding pot choice as well as lots of info out there, the above, and all info out there is just guideline and nothing is hard fast rule, but it is a guideline for a reason

Kerrin
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Guess I have to do a rough style this week on the community market squamata
Kind Regards
Allen
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

Don't do a rough style, your first styling is the most important styling your tree will have :yes:

Do what needs to be done and make all the right decisions now and the rest will be much easier in the end. If your unsure of how to go about it ask and we can help with some key points
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

kez wrote:Don't do a rough style, your first styling is the most important styling your tree will have :yes:

Do what needs to be done and make all the right decisions now and the rest will be much easier in the end. If your unsure of how to go about it ask and we can help with some key points
I'll also start a progression post soon with my current collection + some experimental jbp that ill be doing as well
Kind Regards
Allen
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Can you get to a club meeting? I know the stock (J. squamata) you are referring to and Kez is right that you need to do the right thing first up. If you are unsure, get good advice first. There is no point rushing it. The stock would be great material for a workshop if you can get to one. Even if you just keep growing it until you can.

If you can't, definitely post some thing and get some advice before you start. But it will be hard without someone with experience actually touching the material and getting their hands inside. Like I said don't rush, your first styling needs to set the structure and the future of your tree.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

dansai wrote:Can you get to a club meeting? I know the stock (J. squamata) you are referring to and Kez is right that you need to do the right thing first up. If you are unsure, get good advice first. There is no point rushing it. The stock would be great material for a workshop if you can get to one. Even if you just keep growing it until you can.

If you can't, definitely post some thing and get some advice before you start. But it will be hard without someone with experience actually touching the material and getting their hands inside. Like I said don't rush, your first styling needs to set the structure and the future of your tree.
I'll post it up. As I have said before in another thread/post that I can't really join clubs due to time/day schedules. Its a good stock and I think it was Balco Bonsai in Vic during the auburn community market day.
Kind Regards
Allen
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Try and get some photos of the inside aswell. It will help with the advice. Good luck.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

http://revobonsai.blogspot.com.au/2015/ ... gress.html

Guys have a look at the link. Sorry I can't post it on the forum, having some issues
Kind Regards
Allen

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”