New pot

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Re: New pot

Post by Rory »

Pat K wrote:Thanks for your responses guys, I appreciate them.

Elmar, sorry, I don't sell at shows anymore. You could drop in here but that would be a bit of a hike!

While it's always nice to get a pat-on-the-back, there's nothing quite like a thoughtful appraisal of your work to pave the road ahead. To my mind, the most useful appraisal is not necessarily positive but will, with some sensitivity, suggest ways that improvements could be made. The recipient doesn't necessarily have to agree with the criticism but if at all sensible, will reflect on it.

I'll now climb off me soap box :)
iIluvzyersall
Pat
Pat, the only thing that would improve upon that pot, would be to insert a very refined bonsai in it, or send it to me. Other than that, it is just stunning, beautiful style, exceptional glaze and a nice big size. There is very little that can be complained about anything you make. That is a great look, that mountain ash. I feel this pot would lean towards an oriental styled Australian native. Although I detest Australian Natives styled in traditional Japanese/Chinese styling, I feel this would just be stunning for those with such trees. Or even a paperbark or casuarina literati would be utterly magnificent.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Reece »

These are great mate! Love them both.......... :tu:
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

Pat K wrote:...when people visit me here I can be talked into 'rehousing' a pot or two.
I've been meaning to get to Canberra to pay a visit to the NBPCA, this adds another excuse to the list for making the trip. I'll be sure to get in touch if I decide to ACT(pun intended!) ;)

In the meantime I'll buy a raffle ticket at the Exhibition.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Wayne R »

Pat K wrote:...there's nothing quite like a thoughtful appraisal of your work to pave the road ahead. To my mind, the most useful appraisal is not necessarily positive but will, with some sensitivity, suggest ways that improvements could be made...
And that is an artform in and of itself. I see pots and trees on this forum and most of the finished items make me go "wow, that's great", but occassionally I see something that leaves me lost for words. I'm not an artist in any way, shape or form so I have no clue why something should so overwhelm my senses. The two pots you showed in this thread, especially the first one, leave me bumbling for words. I have no idea how they can be improved or what tree needs to accompany them. For my money, I'd be happy to simply be the owner of the pot(s) and to show them off for what they are, stunning pieces of art.
Peace
Wayne
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

Hi Pat,

Nice pot. I suspect you have put a hole in it. Unfortunatly this will make it unsuitable for cooking :palm: . Would like to see some bolder glazes as you do in your shohin pots. :imo:

Regards,

Peter
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy

Post by Pat K »

I'm off to Kiandra and the Eucumbene River for a spot of fishing and navel gazing.
Thankyou all for your inputs...I take them all onboard, but Peter, I think I need to keep putting holes in pots. :)

And Wayne, the quote of the day...brilliant and thankyou..
Wayne R wrote:especially the first one
Cheers,
Pat
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Pat K wrote:Thanks for your responses guys, I appreciate them.

Elmar, sorry, I don't sell at shows anymore. You could drop in here but that would be a bit of a hike!

While it's always nice to get a pat-on-the-back, there's nothing quite like a thoughtful appraisal of your work to pave the road ahead. To my mind, the most useful appraisal is not necessarily positive but will, with some sensitivity, suggest ways that improvements could be made. The recipient doesn't necessarily have to agree with the criticism but if at all sensible, will reflect on it.

I'll now climb off me soap box :)
iIluvzyersall
Pat
On our recent Sydney trip when my whole family got taken away by the happiness fairies and thought anything miniature is "Soooo Cuuuute!" They wanted to buy a number of small pots (BonsainSoith and Ray Neski's nursery); low and behold, after finally unpacking I find this:
ImageImage

So I'm a bit chuffed at that discovery! Until I get a chance to actually come and visit you to buy/commission a pot, I'll just enjoy this one for a while...

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Pat K
Mud Slinger
Mud Slinger
Favorite Species: Acer
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Soc.
Location: Adelong ....midway between Sydney and Melbourne, off the Hume Hwy