From one of your so called "HOBBY POTTERS".mmmmm

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: From one of your so called "HOBBY POTTERS".mmmmm

Post by bodhidharma »

I am holding off here as i just purchased a pot off JoAnn and loved it immediately. I will wait until the tree and pot come together and let the combo do the talking :worship: Thanks JoAnn for a stunning pot at a very, very reasonable price.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

joannm wrote:
It's not about my pots . It's ,about the fact that some people just don't stop going on about what we Ozzie potters don't make and should make according to them.
Never heard about anyone saying that before, if they do then tell e'm to P off and go buy some from there!
I love the fact our aussie potters do things a to their own tases :yes:
joannm wrote: As for myself, I don't care if someone doesn't like my type of work .I don't like all my work either.
Said like a true artiste!

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Uhm. Sorry to disappoint but by ens I mean the plural of en, the place we keep our bonsais. Well, at least that's what the Japanese call it. There's other things that could be infested too, but this is a family forum.....so...... :whistle:

I just bought a cracker of a pot from a local potter, Viky Petermann. It's kickass. I also love a good Japanese or Chinese pot. I just love pots. I'm not a snob about where it's made ;) will post a pic tomorrow.
Last edited by Andrew Legg on November 14th, 2015, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Since getting involved with Tracy making pots it has opened up a whole new world of um, well, not sure how to describe it but "people who are very particular" (read obsessive) about pots/shapes/sizes etc. This has lead me to look at pots in a whole new light. I have come come to the conclusion that potters should make what works for their style and sell to people who appreciate that. I have trees in rocks that I have carved out and I get a lot of comments from people about them. Some say they are stupid and I have no idea what I'm doing and others love them. Thankfully I don't do this to please others, I do it to enjoyed myself and if I like then stuff everyone else.

As a potter you make a round pot, 20cm across, 3cm deep in a brown clay.
The responses you'll get to are:
1. If it was 1cm bigger it would be perfect
2. if it was just a bit smaller I'd buy it.
3. If it was a lighter colour.
4. If it was darker it would suit my tree.
5. If the feet were bigger.
6. If the feet were smaller
7. Can you make an oval one.
8. It's not deep enough.
9. Can you make more shallow.
10. Can you do one in a blue glaze.
11. Red Glaze.
12. Green glaze
13. Needs more drainage holes
14. The drainages holes are to big
15. The wire holes are in the wrong place for my tree
16. I love the pot, just don't have a tree that would suit it.
17. Is that the best price you can do, I can't really afford that much.

Tracy and I spent a lot of time talking to a number of very experienced bonsai people to work out what shapes, sizes, dimensions, colours, glazes, shades ets pots should be. EVERYONE had a different opinion. Therefore I think potters need to make what they think will work and someone will buy it (eventually :palm: ). Someone posted a pic of a pot on here recently and my first thought was what an ugly pot, why would you buy that. They loved as did many others. I honestly believe a pot can make or break a tree so choosing the right one is very important and therefore people will be fussy. I think as a potter you have to accept that, ignore it (don't take it personally) and just keep doing what you're doing. At the end of the day if people are buying your pots your doing something right. You're a very talented potter Joann so keep doing what you're doing, that fact that all your pots sold speaks volumes.

Josh.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

From one of your so called "HOBBY POTTERS".mmmmm

Post by Elmar »

Yes, I'd like to second that!
No complaints from me!!

... except they need to be dog proofed! ;)
Don't tell me you agree with my wife and I should 'dog-proof' my Bonsai area?!?!? Haha

Cheers
Elmar
Last edited by Elmar on November 14th, 2015, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Well now, I don't know what started this off but I certainly agree with Joann and other potters. We put so much effort, time and money into making these pots then have someone make comments as previously stated, is really annoying (to put it mildly). Worse still is to make a special order (and forget to take a deposit) then get no response from the client when the pot is made.
I suppose Ken's description is accurate though. We do it for the enjoyment - we certainly don't make any income from it and we have to have a tough hide to put up with some of the comments made about our work. Some of the worst is "I prefer the Chinese (or Japanese, Korean) pots" and "They are so expensive". Most of them are mass-produced from moulds and are not even finished off properly and usually cost more than ours. Most people have no idea just what goes into actually producing one bonsai pot - from raw clay to fired pot. If they took the time to ask a few questions about making pots, they'd soon realize the bargain they a re possibly turning down.
It is great to see so many members having a go at making their own pots. They get the satisfaction of producing their own work plus have some idea of the process involved.
Penny.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Well now, I don't know what started this off but I certainly agree with Joann and other potters. We put so much effort, time and money into making these pots then have someone make comments as previously stated, is really annoying (to put it mildly). Worse still is to make a special order (and forget to take a deposit) then get no response from the client when the pot is made.
I suppose Ken's description is accurate though. We do it for the enjoyment - we certainly don't make any income from it and we have to have a tough hide to put up with some of the comments made about our work. Some of the worst is "I prefer the Chinese (or Japanese, Korean) pots" and "They are so expensive". Most of them are mass-produced from moulds and are not even finished off properly and usually cost more than ours. Most people have no idea just what goes into actually producing one bonsai pot - from raw clay to fired pot. If they took the time to ask a few questions about making pots, they'd soon realize the bargain they a re possibly turning down.
It is great to see so many members having a go at making their own pots. They get the satisfaction of producing their own work plus have some idea of the process involved.
Penny.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Love your work Joanne, my bags are always twice as heavy after seeing you at a convention :aussie:

Call it what you will, I think the final product speaks for itself :)
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”