is composite fibre cement a no no?

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

is composite fibre cement a no no?

Post by Mbunro »

been chasing a particular sized pot for awhile, roughly 24cm round and 8-12cm deep.
had a look in my local bonsai stores but was only able to find one that was too shallow and was a blue that wouldn't work with the intended tree.

stopped at the local hardware today though and found a pot that was perfect dimensions and colour.
It is made of a composite fibre cement though, and after reading a few posts on here regarding pot materials am wondering if any one knows of any reasons why it wouldn't work.

tree is a m. raph if that changes anything.

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: is composite fibre cement a no no?

Post by regwac »

Hi , the objections to cement pots are usually based on the pH that might be altered by the lime in the cement . Modern cements do not leach lime to any degree and a rinse of vinegar (a mild acid) will correct any problems . If that were my pot I would be cutting a couple of holes for more drainage , that one small hole is inadequate . Also check that the bottom does not arch up in the centre , if it does , cut drainage close to the side . I have a pine tree in a homemade concrete pot that has been happy for years !
Cheers
Graham
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: is composite fibre cement a no no?

Post by Mbunro »

So i took your advice regwac, and today i washed in vinegar, and drilled three new 9mm holes near the edge, then mixed up a bucket of potting mix.
i had to stop to give a friend a lift, and while i was out stopped into a little beach front deli and the pot iv been looking for was just sitting there on a shelf with a few other used bits of bonsai paraphernalia.

so ended up walking out with the perfect pot and a little book by norio kobayashi for the massive price of $14

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”