The Mad Potter

A place to talk about Australian bonsai potters and pottery.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

The Mad Potter

Post by Watto »

The latest kiln opening and I have unofficially given myself the title of the mad potter. I have plenty of mad designs and ideas, some work and there are a few failures. The failures don't particularly worry me but I do get disappointed with those that don't work out.
All that said, here is my mad pot from the last firing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: The Mad Potter

Post by Watto »

I did also make a few "proper" pots, a couple for specific trees and quite a few pots for accent plants.
I had a fad on a certain shape of accent pot and I hope to make use of a few over the coming year or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

OK, the accent pots. I had a fetish on cone shaped pots (that's over now) so I hope you like a couple of them.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Nice fetish . I particularly like the yellow one and the purple green one the greenie pinkish one looks great too .
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

The accent pots are very nice, I like "different".
I like the stand you're using to display the pots. Is it plywood veneered with silky oak? If so, where did you obtain it?
Cheers, Frank.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

That "mad pot" is awesome!!! I'd buy it!!!

Does it have 2 or 3 separate compartments? Can we get some other angles please??? Interesting to see the before and after glaze too!

Other pots are great too, I like the 'useful all-round pot" too.

- Daniel
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Love your work Watto ,keep up the "madness"....John
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

A different angle.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Frank, yes it is veneered ply but I have had it for so long I don't remember anything else about it, sorry.
The mad pot has only one growing area.
Thanks for all the kind comments.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

Was the "Mad Pot" made with a particular tree in mind?
Was it inspired by a particular tree?
Will you be planting into it anytime soon?
Or was it "just because"? :D

Thanks for the images,

Jan.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

The mad pot was made just because.
If I find a tree to suit I will certainly plant into it, I need to find the right tree first.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper

Post by TimIAm »

Hi watto and others,

I'm looking to work on a few pots over the school holidays. My kids are a bit older and thought this would also be a good activity for a day or two.

I've contacted the local place which can do the firing at a reasonable price.

Question 1: They said they fire earthenware clay up to 1080 degrees (max). Is that suitable for bonsai planters?

Question 2: I've seen older threads on this, but can anyone suggest a good material to work with.

Question 3: I don't understand how glazes work. I've re-asked the studio doing the firing for clarification, but is it better to buy individual colours myself from an art supply shop or should I pay the fee to go in and use their glazes? Watto (or anyone else), to get those great looking colours you are getting, do you use paints as well as glazes? I really like your style of pots, if you have time I'd appreciate just a brief overview of how you go about painting/glazing your pots (not looking for technical, just a sentence or two).
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Hi Tim, just a word of warning, once you start you will get hooked :lol: :lol:
A1 - I fire to about 1280 deg C which is "stoneware" and earthenware is not as solid (water, frost and heat will all impact the pot over time) but if that is as high as they fire then you may have to just go with that.
A2 - I buy clay from the clay suppliers and one bag goes a long way. Clays for earthenware and stoneware are different because of the firing temperature.
A3 - Glazers can also be purchased from the clay supply shop (they are sometimes quite expensive) but the place where you are going to fire probably has some that you could use. There will probably be a small cost but they may have a few to pick from or try. Most of my pots are glazed and no paints are used, paint would burn off in the kiln. Glazes for earthenware and stoneware are different as the glazes have different reactions to temperatures in the kiln.
I'd stay away from art supply places and stick with clay supply places, they may also be able to give you some advice.
Good luck and have fun.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

What Watto said. Unfortunately, the relation between clay and glaze and temperature is not fixed, and sometimes not at all reliable - you will need to test glazes on the clay you want to use in the kiln you'll use. Glazes often change in their effect depending on how thickly they're put on, and with a change of + or - 10degC! And stoneware is essential if your trees will ever see frost - water soaks into the pores of earthenware (good) then freezes (bad) and shatters the pot (arghhh!!!)

Pottery takes time to get results - commit to a course, and have a lot of fun, or find other bonsai-related fun to have these holidays.

Gavin
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper

Post by TimIAm »

Thanks both for advice. I have plenty of time on my hands to fail and keep trying. I just thought it was something I could do with my children as their attempts won't be worse than mine and it would still give me additional input into how to improve by seeing how they go, with the additional benefit of keeping them off the playstation for an hour. It wouldn't be once off project, just like my bonsai skills, it will continue to evolve with time and practice.

Can anyone give more advice on what clay to buy. There are many online suppliers and quite a variety. Maybe if you have a favourite or brand that you use for most of your stuff?

I think I understand now that I need to find a stoneware firing service and I've now spotted a few online.

I can appreciate that colours change. I guess that's both a blessing and a curse. It means every piece is unique but results are going to vary.

Return to “Australian Bonsai Potters”