Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Acacia Saligna "Sprintime Cascade"

Post by Keels »

MikeK wrote: ↑February 28th, 2020, 7:23 am Here's a (pretty ordinary) pic of an A. longfolia at the central coast show last year. I believe it's around 40 years old

acacia.longfolia.jpg

I'm growing a few A. sophorae (aka Acacia longifolia subsp. sophorae) from tubestock. Haven't done much root pruning yet, but no issues with back-budding. One in particular was completely stripped by a possum (to a trunk with nothing left, even branches were chewed off :x ) I almost threw it in the bin thinking it was a goner, but moved to a more 'possum resistant' location and it recovered in about a month or so, with lots of new growth all over the trunk (no reduction in leaf size from the 'defoliation' though)
Wow that's an impressive Acacia. I've never seen one like that before. Good to see that it's fairly old as well.

Sounds like your Acacia is pretty hardly. I have a A. Dealbata I collected from a fall tree last winter and it buds back like crazy.

Thanks for sharing Mike.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

Little update on this fella. It's progressing well and hasn't missed a beat since i chopped and wired it.

Wire came off a couple of days ago. And its standing up on its own pretty well.

As you can see there are a couple of wire marks but i expect them to grow out after spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

Well it's still alive, so well done! I think it looks like it has great potential for an interesting tree as it progresses. I'm all for trying new things, so I commend you. One thing I will say is, if it were mine, I'd be having a nice sharp pair of concave cutters and nipping off the two branch stubs that you've left on from previous branch removal. Just bringing them back flush with the trees movement. Apart from that, keep on trucking! 😁
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

juan73870 wrote: ↑May 8th, 2020, 8:02 pm..... if it were mine, I'd be having a nice sharp pair of concave cutters and nipping off the two branch stubs that you've left on from previous branch removal. Just bringing them back flush with the trees movement.
Thanks Jan. Now that i know the tree survived the removal of the large branches ill slowly reduce the branch stubs in spring. That way it wont have any issues over winter :tu:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Keels,
I like the way this little fella is going. :yes: As an aside, I am growing a small group of Acacia Melonoxylon (Blackwood) ... yeah, another forest! ... As MikeK and Starfox have already noted with other species if Acacia, I am staggered at how they respond to hard pruning. I am not sure if leaves reduce but they are bl@@dy fun to chop back and .... another native that loves its feet in water!!!
Cheers,
Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

MJL wrote: ↑May 8th, 2020, 10:06 pm ... they are bl@@dy fun to chop back and .... another native that loves its feet in water!!!
Cheers,
Mark
This fella is still in the nursery mix so it holds alot of water and he's about to explode with new growth... Well looks like it :lost: as its strange as its starting to get into colder months now.
I have a silver wattle and i chop it back every two weeks just to maintain its shape...it's crazy
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

MJL wrote: ↑May 8th, 2020, 10:06 pm As an aside, I am growing a small group of Acacia Melonoxylon (Blackwood) ... yeah, another forest! ... As MikeK and Starfox have already noted with other species if Acacia, I am staggered at how they respond to hard pruning. I am not sure if leaves reduce but they are bl@@dy fun to chop back and .... another native that loves its feet in water!!!
Cheers,
You can air layer them as well. I did two this year and they are bursting with new shoots.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

There has been alot of chatter about Acacia's recently and I thought I'd update this post on how my tree is progressing.

The tree has been developing along really well. But i feel there is a catch...Rory recently commented on one of Gav's posts about how Acacia's don't like hard root pruning. Well I'll be working the roots later this year, finger crossed it survives. I really won't be removing too much to start off with. It'll go into a tall cascade pot that I'm yet to find.

The bark has started to turn and the structure is really starting to set now.
wattle-top.jpg
The overall height isn't very tall.
wattle-length.jpg

I've recently been working on a new top to extend the height a little bit more.

wattle-newtop.jpg

Could be a bit of an issue with the healing of the trunk at this spot. Not sure what i should do to prevent it from swelling to big.
wattle-branchremoval.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

I've had a couple of flowers pop on the Acacia. It's taken so long for them to appear but it was worth the wait.
IMG_20211010_153941_copy_1368x1824.jpg
The wounds have healed well also.
IMG_20211010_155625_copy_1459x1094.jpg
IMG_20211010_155608_copy_1094x1459.jpg
The trunk line is progressing well too.
IMG_20211010_155548_copy_1094x1459.jpg
Next steps is to repot it into a bonsai pot. I'll be doing that in a couple of weeks time. So the next update will be in a couple weeks after that.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Maybe give it a generous-sized pot first time around - I've found Acacias to be uncomfortable in tight shoes...

Gavin
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

Another update for the Acacia. I recently gave the tree a tidy up, its a bit late but better then never. I am finding it really hard to manage all of my trees since my baby arrived last year. This tree was meant to go into a bonsai pot but time got away from me. Its progressing well but definitely in need of a repot.
Acacia.jpg
Acacia side view.jpg
The wound is healing nicely
acacia wound healing.jpg
I gave the tree a trim and wired a new top.
wired-top.jpg
This section is getting a little to chunky and ill have to make a decision on what i need to do to reduce the swelling. I might remove the whole branch on the right just as it twists up.
swelling.jpg
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

I really want to get one of these especially after seeing this thread. Just haven't come across one at any nurseries in my town yet. :lost: maybe i'll find one in Perth. Yours is looking great :tu:
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

Patmet wrote: ↑January 11th, 2022, 1:32 pm I really want to get one of these especially after seeing this thread. Just haven't come across one at any nurseries in my town yet. :lost: maybe i'll find one in Perth. Yours is looking great :tu:
Thanks Patmet. Since i have started this tree i have seen other trees being done similar with acacia cardiophylla (dwarf), acacia pravissima (prostrate) and acacia howittii. The only issue with the Acacia i choose is the long leaf size. If i had my time again i would have used an Acacia that has a smaller leaf size.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Don't hurry it into a bonsai pot - another year thickening the trunk can only make it better. Have you taught the baby shoot pinching and leaf cutting yet?

Gavin
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keels »

GavinG wrote: ↑January 12th, 2022, 8:45 pm Don't hurry it into a bonsai pot - another year thickening the trunk can only make it better. Have you taught the baby shoot pinching and leaf cutting yet?

Gavin
Funny you should ask that..... Each morning i put her into the pram and we go out watering the trees. On multiple occasions she has grabbed the long Japanese maple shoots and given the tips a quick munch :palm: :lol:

Return to β€œAcacia”