Trying to take better photos

Taking good photo's of your tree's can be challenging. Discuss your ideas and tips here.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Trying to take better photos

Post by greg27 »

Bad news - I treated myself to a new lens a couple of weeks ago and have been playing around a lot with the camera. So I'll most likely be annoying you all with many uploads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Upload away Greg, always happy to see more trees. Plus tell us what you've done to improve your photography skills. I'm always interested in hearing tips :tu:
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

greg27 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 6:46 pm Bad news - I treated myself to a new lens a couple of weeks ago and have been playing around a lot with the camera. So I'll most likely be annoying you all with many uploads.
Lol

If you are going to splash out on a new lens, time to splash out on some off camera flash gear.

A good site

https://www.hypop.com.au/

Of eBay / Amazon for cheaper stuff.
--
No idea what I am doing…
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

BonsaiBobbie wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 12:12 am If you are going to splash out on a new lens, time to splash out on some off camera flash gear.
I woke up early to get some work done, ended up spending an hour reading about lighting :palm:

This rabbit hole sure is deep.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Lol

I did the same after posting the link last night.

Here is where most people start to learn about off camera flash.

https://strobist.blogspot.com/

https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/l ... 1.html?m=1
--
No idea what I am doing…
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Great to see the updates, keep them coming!

Re: rabbit holes ... I got two more dangerous time sinks for you to try, without the need for spending money:

- look into image sharpening (as already briefly mentioned), I got a book on it years ago, covers the workflow in Photoshop and Lightroom. There's lots to learn, and once you start you'll never want to share a non-sharpened image again. I use it in all my moon photos now. Though as warned, it's a rabbit hole unto itself.

- image stacking: something to experiment with if you cannot eliminate DOF issues. I've only dabbled with macro dof stacking, it's incredible what can be achieved but adds an exponential level of complexity during a shoot.

Pic and tree looking great ... though have to ask, what's going on with that fresh left branch and its large leaves?

My biggest fig is doing the same, which is why I've noticed, but in my case, it's neglect - your tree looks like it's getting lots of attention and care.

- Daniel
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

legoman_iac wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 9:07 pm - look into image sharpening (as already briefly mentioned), I got a book on it years ago, covers the workflow in Photoshop and Lightroom. There's lots to learn, and once you start you'll never want to share a non-sharpened image again. I use it in all my moon photos now. Though as warned, it's a rabbit hole unto itself.
Sold. I've been playing around with Photoshop/Lightroom (and a few other programs...) lately so definitely keen to learn more about post-processing and getting things nice and crisp.
legoman_iac wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 9:07 pm - image stacking: something to experiment with if you cannot eliminate DOF issues. I've only dabbled with macro dof stacking, it's incredible what can be achieved but adds an exponential level of complexity during a shoot.
Also sold! I've very briefly looked into image stacking with astrophotography (yet another rabbit hole) so definitely another one to add to the list. The macro side is interesting too - the lens I bought is a Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 Macro - not a true macro lens but I can get some decent closeups of tiny spiders to horrify my very-arachnophobic wife.
legoman_iac wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 9:07 pm Pic and tree looking great ... though have to ask, what's going on with that fresh left branch and its large leaves?
I'm regrowing that left branch - what was there previously was very straight and taperless, so it got the chop. I defoliated the rest of the tree last summer but left that branch alone to thicken. Looking back at the photo I'll need to wire it down a lot, and do something with the little branch behind it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

This was a focus stacked image of 5 shots. I Generally use focus stacking when taking photos of my trees

Peter
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

Thanks for that Peter, your photos always have lovely detail so nice to hear how they're done. What's your editor of choice?
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

greg27 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 10:06 am Thanks for that Peter, your photos always have lovely detail so nice to hear how they're done. What's your editor of choice?
Hi Greg,

Basic edit in Lightroom and stacking in photoshop.

Regards ,
Peter
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

It begins...
20220725_112815.jpg
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

lol

Great choice...

You'll have a lot of fun with that and be constantly bouncing stuff off walls, ceilings etc.

Your photos, whether of plants of people snaps will be infinitely better for it.

I had mucked around with cables to fire remote flashes for a long time, even cheap wireless triggers. Only this year did I get a proper trigger for my set up (I generally use a full GODOX Strobe now - Godox DP400III 400W - it definitely isn't needed, I've managed to do whole shoots for my kids school with the speedlite).

Not being a professional, and learning as you go like you, I think jumping straight to controlling the speedlite from the camera helps because you will get the settings wrong, and you just avoid hassle of going backwards and forth to the flash all the time. This is important for taking pics of people!

One immediate tip is to confirm your cameras maximum flash sync speed (ie the fastest shutter speed beyond which the flash won't work "or sync" with the camera). You should be able to look it up, or just test it by taking photos. The speed will likely be 1/200th or 1/250th of a second, but maybe quicker if you are lucky. You'll know when you experience it. You'll get half the image nicely exposed and the other half like the shutter hasn't fully opened. The first time it happened to me, I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Enjoy the rest of your learning.
--
No idea what I am doing…
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

greg27 wrote: July 25th, 2022, 12:06 pm It begins...

20220725_112815.jpg
Also apologies to significant others for suggesting this! Hopefully they get the benefit of some great happy snaps.
--
No idea what I am doing…
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

BonsaiBobbie wrote: July 25th, 2022, 12:55 pm One immediate tip is to confirm your cameras maximum flash sync speed (ie the fastest shutter speed beyond which the flash won't work "or sync" with the camera). You should be able to look it up, or just test it by taking photos. The speed will likely be 1/200th or 1/250th of a second, but maybe quicker if you are lucky. You'll know when you experience it. You'll get half the image nicely exposed and the other half like the shutter hasn't fully opened. The first time it happened to me, I didn't have a clue what was going on.
That explains what happened to me this morning! Google says my Nikon D5100's speed is 1/200. I had a quick play early this morning, I think at 1/400, and the bottom quarter of the photo was dark. Mystery solved.
BonsaiBobbie wrote: July 25th, 2022, 12:56 pm Also apologies to significant others for suggesting this! Hopefully they get the benefit of some great happy snaps.
My wife didn't bat an eyelid when I showed her my new toys. I think she's already written me off :lol:
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

greg27 wrote: July 25th, 2022, 2:31 pm
BonsaiBobbie wrote: July 25th, 2022, 12:55 pm One immediate tip is to confirm your cameras maximum flash sync speed (ie the fastest shutter speed beyond which the flash won't work "or sync" with the camera). You should be able to look it up, or just test it by taking photos. The speed will likely be 1/200th or 1/250th of a second, but maybe quicker if you are lucky. You'll know when you experience it. You'll get half the image nicely exposed and the other half like the shutter hasn't fully opened. The first time it happened to me, I didn't have a clue what was going on.
That explains what happened to me this morning! Google says my Nikon D5100's speed is 1/200. I had a quick play early this morning, I think at 1/400, and the bottom quarter of the photo was dark. Mystery solved.
BonsaiBobbie wrote: July 25th, 2022, 12:56 pm Also apologies to significant others for suggesting this! Hopefully they get the benefit of some great happy snaps.
My wife didn't bat an eyelid when I showed her my new toys. I think she's already written me off :lol:
I wasn't expecting you to hit that problem so quickly, but glad that I did. It took me a few years between encountering the problem, reading about it, and putting two and two together. Pity is was for photos of my newborn!

I have to bit my tongue on anything else, lest I take away any of you fun.
--
No idea what I am doing…

Return to “Photographing Bonsai”