What lens do you use? Bonsai Photography

Taking good photo's of your tree's can be challenging. Discuss your ideas and tips here.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Re: What lens do you use? Bonsai Photography

Post by thoglette »

Andrew Legg wrote:My best advice to anyone learning about photography is use a tripod, and understand depth of field.
+1 And use the self timer rather than your finger on the shutter.

There's tricks like macro bellows/reversal rings and mirror lock up for those with SLRs - especially those with full manual mode and

photo.net used to THE place to go for photography. But I'm not taking photography seriously these days (happy snaps only) so YMMV. Google reports 2770 bonsai related posts there.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:photo.net used to THE place to go for photography
Anyone new to photography needs to also spend some time on the fringes - eg. The Luminous Landscape which has a rather lengthy but well considered article on the previous and current state of the market

I confess I'm a range finder tragic too (good ones make less noise than the eratz shutter noise on an i-thing ) - but through lens focus cameras (SLR or View) reign supreme for macro work.

From a more mainstream perspective dpreview.com is the go-to place for data on current digital cameras.
Last edited by thoglette on November 16th, 2014, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

That was a great weekend, I took both my lens's along, and found that the kit lens was good, but the prime was better... however, as I forgot to take my tripod, a lot of the pics from the prime lens were quite blurred. I did not realise the affect of lifting all those massive bonsai into place would have on my arms, so i was shaking like crazy :lol: :oops:

However the last hour or so on the last day, I was lucky enough to have another member of the club give me a lesson on photography (he's big on his camera's), so learnt a lot more about manual mode, and even learnt about focus stacking (mind blown), which I tried out on a couple of the show favorites. He lent me his 85mm Micro lense, ring flash, and tripod, which a got some great macro shots with too :D Am just processing all the pictures, but will be sure to share them :)

I was one of the floor walkers, so got to see each tree and talk about them with the public, so no chance of missing any :P

Was great fun, and will probably be joining the local camera club at some point next year :cool: I'm hooked :palm:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Jason wrote: ..learnt a lot more about manual mode, and even learnt about focus stacking (mind blown)
Ah, couldn't do that with film!
Jason wrote: Was great fun, and will probably be joining the local camera club at some point next year :cool: I'm hooked :palm:
Like Bonsai, there's nothing like mentors and practice
dibly_w
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: chinese elm , swamp cypress and ummmmm buxus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: harmony tea garden highfields

Post by dibly_w »

Great read guys thanks for that info . Ive been trying to work with full manual settings but as noted far to many variables for an amature such as myself. Looking forward to trying some of these tips just have to try and convince the better half why we need some new lenses
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

Here's my setup. I make sure my subject is a metre or more from the backdrop. 2 lights into umbrellas. I shoot somewhere around f8 so as to make sure it's as sharp as it can possibly be from front to back of subject and and usually shooting from 2 metres or more from my subject. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the results here on this computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

Sorry, forgot to answer the question. I use a 24-70.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Webos wrote:Here's my setup. I make sure my subject is a metre or more from the backdrop. 2 lights into umbrellas. I shoot somewhere around f8 so as to make sure it's as sharp as it can possibly be from front to back of subject and and usually shooting from 2 metres or more from my subject. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the results here on this computer.
Thanks webos, that setup looks amazing! I don't have the best flash set up, so rely on what natural light I can get and then fix up the shadows in lightroom, but will eventually (hopefully) have a set up just like that :fc:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Return to “Photographing Bonsai”