Advice on improving my bonsai photography is requested

Taking good photo's of your tree's can be challenging. Discuss your ideas and tips here.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Advice on improving my bonsai photography is requested

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Hi all,

Spent money on a good camera. Thought I would take some pics. I still have a bit to figure out with lighting and stuff. Here are the pics......I would value any photographic feedback on what I have done.

Cheers,
Leigh.
Banksia.jpg
Banksia2.jpg
ChineseElm.jpg
EnglishElm.jpg
JuniperPN.jpg
JuniperSP.jpg
Ligustrum.jpg
Shimpaku.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on January 18th, 2010, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to be more descriptive
Cheers,
Leigh.
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Still trying to figure it out!

Post by NathanM »

Hi Leigh,
I'm not expert but what I do understand and what I see in your pics is that I think you need to move the trees a fair way further back from the wall. That and maybe take the pictuers rom further back, maybe using a bigger lense if needed. Pics seem to be maybe a bit over exposed too.
Like I said though, I'm no expert, but that's how I see it :)
Nathan
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Thanks Nathan - so I should have a gap between where the tree is and the wall behind them? I have a 18-135mm lense - should I go further away and use the lense to zoom in on the tree?

Thanks for your help.

Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

Leigh Taafe wrote:Thanks Nathan - so I should have a gap between where the tree is and the wall behind them? I have a 18-135mm lense - should I go further away and use the lense to zoom in on the tree?

Thanks for your help.

Leigh.

spot on leigh, go about 2 foot back from the wall to the tree then about 6 foot back from the tree or further and zoom in a bit. i play with the gap and distance and zoom all the time trying to figure it out.
i am pretty sure thats the theory of it anyways. :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Thanks Jamie.

Any thoughts on the lighting? I feel that my lighting is throwing TOO much light on the tree. I have the lights well back behind the camera at roughly 45 degree angles to the subject and shining up and down (not directly at the tree). I also took these from about 6 feet away and zoomed in with the lense a small bit to frame the tree. Once taken - I then cropped a little bit off.

Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

i seen a thread i think on here which showed how to set up lighting, i think the best way is to use "indirect lighting" where the light is pointed at those umbrella looking things and that reflects the light onto the tree not causing glare. 2 of them were used at about a 35 degree angle on either side of the camera. i also think that it is different to shooting inside or outside, i have found inside shots are of fair better quality then outside.

try setting the tree about 2 foot off the wall first then take a shot 6 foot away from the tree zooming in, dont worry bout the cropping try get it right on the tree.
then keep the same distance of the back of the tree and have the camera further back again. maybe 5 or 6 shots at a foot back each time zooming in each time and seeing how it goes :D

i am no camera expert either but i do have a friend who studied photography, i will try get in touch with her and see if she can help me out and i will pass it on :D (she is back in my hometown adelaide)

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Thanks mate - any tips will be great!
Cheers,
Leigh.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=311

i knew i seen a good guide to taking good shots of trees, this will help ya out heaps mate! you have probably tried some of it already. i will still get in touch with my mate from down south. she did after all do a degree or whichever it is in photography so i reckon she can take some sweet shots!
i am actually pretty sure she is still working in it to, cant be sure we havent spoke for a long time bar the occasional chit chat on face book which i will have to get back on now to get back in touch with her (dont ask why i aint on it)

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Post by dayne »

the two main things with a camera is f-stop(apperture eg-f4) and shutter spead are you shooting manual or auto what type of camera is it i might be able to help was pro for a feww years.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G,day Leigh what I see here is shadow as if you have the flash on. I find that Natural light best if possible.
When I take mine I am closer than two feet, to the back drop. I will do like you have said get further away and Zoom in.
I found most of it is trial and error. The beauty of digi you dont like it erase it no cost. When I was using film two rolls for one good shot. That was when you needed all the other light reflectors and such. Still have my SLR sitting gathering dust.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Thanks Pup - guess I gotta just try a few different things.

Hi Dayne,

I am running a Canon 500D with a 18-135mmIS lens

I shot a few in auto on portrait - then I shot a few in auto flash off.

Not real sure about the apperture and shutter speed thingy yet. If you tell me what would be ideal - I can figure out how to set it.

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Leigh.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Leigh Taafe wrote:Thanks Nathan - so I should have a gap between where the tree is and the wall behind them? I have a 18-135mm lense - should I go further away and use the lense to zoom in on the tree?

Thanks for your help.

Leigh.
Get as far away form the subject as you can and zoom it frame the tree, use a tripod and longer exposure as well

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Leigh, give this a try.

Manual setting:
aperture at f22
exposure you will need about 2 seconds of exposure as a starting point, use a tripod and delay the shutter by a couple of seconds to avoid camera shake as the shutter is depressed
turn image stabilisation off
white balance set to whatever light source you are using eg, flouro, halogen (tungsten) or daylight etc.
Avoid using 2 different light sources eg. daylight and artificial light, you will be cahasing white balance until the cows come home otherwise!
disable the flash
set the picture quality to maximum or RAW if your camera supports this
light the tree from both sides at about 45 degrees left and right, with one side slightly less lit than the other, or alternatively light direct from one side and reflect light into the other side
increase distance between tree and the background and camera and tree, zoom in to take the shot
avoid light spilling onto background

You will need to adjust the exposure time up and down to get the exposure correct.

I hope this helps. If not then I recomend abundant profanity (or read Old Mister Crow's guide to photographing bonsai) :lol:

Cheers
MM
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Post by dayne »

heres my suggestion dont use any auto settings on your camera for a month only use manual
as you look thought the finder you will see a plus and minus scale you want the meter to be wright in the middle this will give you an even exsposure (good colour and density and light) shutter speed is used to control the amount of speed that the item has (race car use shutter speed first to control a nice shot) .apperture or f-stop is used to give a depth of feild a f22 will give a great landscape shot the tree a metre from you and the tree 500m so it has a depth of focus of 500m but at f2.8 only only what you focus on will be in focus so a depth of feild of about half a metre.

my ides is to take lots of photos of the same object maybe you back yard start at your lowst apperture and take one at every apperture intervill untill the huighest apperture adjusting the shutter speed to the middle of the scale at each apperture adjustment

this will help to show what the apperture does YOU WILL STRUGGLE for the month but you will be the better photographer for it
the problem is people dont know how to take photos any more because of point and shoot digital like pup said just point and shoot thats like telling some one just get a tree put it in a pot and you have a bonsai mmmm
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus

Post by Psymo »

Last edited by Psymo on January 18th, 2010, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Photographing Bonsai”