Post process your image, sir?! Need help with editing?

Taking good photo's of your tree's can be challenging. Discuss your ideas and tips here.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post process your image, sir?! Need help with editing?

Post by Mitchell »

Hey all, let me first start with, I am no PS wizard just eager to learn and possibly help some folk out.

Don't know how to use PhotoS#*p? Don't have time to learn? Can't figure it out? Want that perfect background, for a memorable display photo of your Bonsai? Can barely get on the web / AB, let alone figure out how to process your hard earned images?

I am willing to help. Like I said I am certainly no photo manipulation expert, but have been processing my photography images (1000's) over the last year or so.

What I am basically offering is, if you post a decent image of your bonsai (preferably without flash), I will do my best to try and enhance, saturation, white balance, de-noising, colour curves, sharpness, tree definition against back ground and anything else you may like done. I would prefer to not delve into the "Virt" side of things, moreso the enhancement of an image.

I am also willing to give info, on how you can start doing these things yourself.

This thread originates as having processed images of our bonsai, then allows us to start thinking about getting decent sized prints made up to display indoors. Surely there must me some interest in that. :)

So... feel free to post your un-processed images you would like corrected / enhanced, bare in mind not every pic can be saved / enhanced. DSLR images are fine, yet some Point and shoots can distort data, still post them though.

I would like for now if people only post, if they truely can not edit themselves. I am hoping at the moment to help out people, who have no idea how to use Image manipulation programs.

Please include if you wish, details of what you would like changed / don't want changed. If you don't like what I present back to you, then we can re-work it etc...
Last edited by Mitchell on March 17th, 2010, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Post process your image, sir?! Need help with editing?

Post by Jamie »

thats a very kind offer mitchell. well done for sticking your hand up.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

Jamie wrote:thats a very kind offer mitchell. well done for sticking your hand up.

No problems mate. Many should not need such a service, yet I myself did at some stages on the learning curve. I still have much to learn and I figure this is a good way to go about it.

It's amazing what a quick un-sharp mask and colour adjustment can do for a shot. :)
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

I know there is a couple of links elsewhere, yet wanted them in this thread for easy reference.

If you wish to start processing your snap shots into artwork, here are some helpful places to start

Free-

The Gimp http://download.cnet.com/GIMP/3000-2192_4-10073935.html
A very good program and at the right price. I have found this program a must have for this kind of work.

Paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/
Not as good as Gimp, yet is a help if Gimp is not for you.

Pixia http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mighty/knight/
Not a bad editor.

Photopos pro http://www.photopos.com/Pos-Free-Photo-Editor.asp
Again just another one to check out.

Not Free-

Photoshop http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--84_Sof ... _18853_e__
Expensive but useful, I would only recommend purchasing if you wish to delve into other types of photography. Free is good for now.
Regards, Mitchell.

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

i must say mitchell that i have found paint.net easier to use, although gimp might possibly have a couple more features what i like about paint.net is that you can work with any sort of picture file be it .bmp, .jpg, .png

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

Yes I know. :) Thats why I included it second.
I only ever work in .rar or .Jpg but thought I should include it for others. :)
Last edited by Mitchell on March 17th, 2010, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

yea i understand that :D

i only work in .jpg as it is universal when uploading.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I only Use The GIMP.

'Tis the only one mentioned that works on Linux :-) :D But it also the only one that works the same on any OS as well :lol:

Can do 90% of what Photoshop can do, and what it cannot do only professional graphic artists need any way :-)

Nice offer Mitchell,and if you get time maybe you can write a Howto for the beginners on simple editing tips :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

kcpoole wrote:I only Use The GIMP.

'Tis the only one mentioned that works on Linux :-) :D But it also the only one that works the same on any OS as well :lol:

Can do 90% of what Photoshop can do, and what it cannot do only professional graphic artists need any way :-)

Nice offer Mitchell,and if you get time maybe you can write a Howto for the beginners on simple editing tips :-)

Ken

Yes, Gimp is my tonic of choice.

Hopefully we can cover the basics as we go. I would greatly appreciate yours or anyone elses input also.

Just got to get some takers now.... ... .. . I'm almost positive they are out there. :)
Regards, Mitchell.

Regan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Regan »

Creeping Dragon wrote:What I am basically offering is, if you post a decent image of your bonsai (preferably without flash), I will do my best to try and enhance, saturation, white balance, de-noising, colour curves, sharpness, tree definition against back ground and anything else you may like done
Hi Mitchell

A very nice gesture mate, this is the kind of thing I'm starting to get used to here, the helpful and sharing nature of everyone.

If you can find the time I think a decent guide on how to go about doing this would probably go a long way to helping a lot of people do this for themselves. I've only just started playing around with this stuff, so I know I'd benifit from it, I'm sure others would too.

Once I know how to do all of this I'd be keen to help anyone who needs it aswell

Cheers Regan
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

Regan wrote:
Creeping Dragon wrote:What I am basically offering is, if you post a decent image of your bonsai (preferably without flash), I will do my best to try and enhance, saturation, white balance, de-noising, colour curves, sharpness, tree definition against back ground and anything else you may like done
Hi Mitchell

A very nice gesture mate, this is the kind of thing I'm starting to get used to here, the helpful and sharing nature of everyone.

If you can find the time I think a decent guide on how to go about doing this would probably go a long way to helping a lot of people do this for themselves. I've only just started playing around with this stuff, so I know I'd benifit from it, I'm sure others would too.

Once I know how to do all of this I'd be keen to help anyone who needs it aswell

Cheers Regan

Got an image mate? We can have a look at it and see what could be achieved. More so for the benefit of others than yourself. :)
Last edited by Mitchell on March 17th, 2010, 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Regan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Regan »

i might be able to find some shockers, if not i'm sure I can take some :D
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I was checking my usual news stries today and found this little article on fixing Photos using GIMP
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Bl ... h-the-GIMP

thought of this thread and maybe we can find it useful :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Say 'ello to my lil' friend- The Clone tool

Post by Mitchell »

Well, business hasn't quite taken off yet ( :D ), so i'm going to ramble to myself or anyone else that is interested about the Clone tool and its use in image manipulation.

For the ease of demonstration, I am using Gimp. Yet the process is identical on Photo Shop. I would suggest downloading Gimp from the link above and following along. :D

The clone tool I would say is one of the most valuable tools in manipulating an image. As the name suggests, this tool allows us to select an area of the image, then apply that said selected area to another place on the image. This will be an identicle copy of your selection. You will find this valuble when trying to "blot out" an area of your photo which is distracting, whether that be a big ole' dust particle, the dog, to darken the back ground, or any other item that is distracting.

This tool can be used roughly, taking only literally seconds to "blot out" your background to a darker shade. When I say "blot out" it is a term I would use to describe, the clone being used in its basic form, great for all kind of things.

For the moment we will look at the basic clone stamp, to remove things you don't want in shot.

Step 1- Once you have installed Gimp, you may be able to right click any of your photos in Windows and "Edit with gimp" should be there. That will open your photo in Gimp.
2.JPG

Your screen may look different to mine, I think I have an older version. Same process though.

Step 2- When the image opens click the little figure that looks like a man, in the toolbar.
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mitchell on March 20th, 2010, 12:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

The Clone Stamp

Post by Mitchell »

For my image I wish to remove the streak of light, which is hitting the black card I have about 5 cm behind this plant. The is why people you should alway have your back drop far enough away, to be out of focus! :D I wanted the natural beam of light, so I just through up a rough bit of black cardboard.

In Gimp delete previous action is Ctrl + Z . You will need to hit this many times in cloning so remember it.

To represent an area, your best chance of suiting its texture / colour / luminance is to clone a spot adjacent to it.

Step 3- Zoom in to a relevant size using your + key on the keyboard.

Step 4- Once you have the clone tool selected, Hold Ctrl + C then left click a desired area to sample and clone. Mine will be the darker region.
3.JPG

Step 5- When you have you desired area to clone selected, go to the tool bar and increase the size of the tool to something appropriate for the size of the item to be cloned.
4.JPG

Step 6- Then you need to change your brush to a fuzzy soft one, not the hard round circle. Hard round circle is for fast rough removal when you are doing virts and things, the fuzzy tool is alot more forgiving and allows you to press up close to folage / trunklines etc.
4a.JPG

Step 7- Go to the area you want to clone out and click on it. As you can see in the image I now have a darkened spot, this is a clone of the darker area I selected earlier. Continue this process to blend in with the background. The more solid the background the easy it is to blend into, the more texture / patterns the harder it gets.
6.JPG

Step 8- In order to get up close to branches and or change the intensity as to which you are stamping the cloned image, go to the toolbar and select Opacity. This determines how much of an impression the clone stamp leaves. Turn it right down and you can stamp right up next to foilage and trunklines without stamping them.
8.JPG

And thus ends a brief tutorial on cloning. Just the bare roots, plenty more to discuss about blending and finishing. I may have time to look at that later. :D

Hope this may be of help to some!! :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mitchell on March 20th, 2010, 12:43 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Return to “Photographing Bonsai”