New Camera Canon 60D

Taking good photo's of your tree's can be challenging. Discuss your ideas and tips here.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Re: New Camera Canon 60D

Post by Mitchell »

You'll probably find RAW gives you about a 3-5mb photo, JPG mode gives about 2.5-4mb which is still a bit too large for straight upload, though I am sure things have progressed and actually you are probably right, they may now give you a suitable size for straight upload.

The way I learnt to use a DSLR, was to not let myself leave "Manual" mode. It takes longer, but that is why we have DSLR's to get full manual features, not preset apertures and exposure lengths in the other modes. As you know it's a great learning curve, takes a couple of months to get the hang of it, then you just get more and more fluent. Before we know it, it's second nature to zoom, focus, set exposure length and set aperture then click. That process use to take me about 30 seconds, now less than 2.

:D I am sure he will be pleased with the purchase.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

thanks for the tip Mitchell :tu:
NO TREE IS SAFE
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Mitchell wrote:You'll probably find RAW gives you about a 3-5mb photo, JPG mode gives about 2.5-4mb which is still a bit too large for straight upload, though I am sure things have progressed and actually you are probably right, they may now give you a suitable size for straight upload.

The way I learnt to use a DSLR, was to not let myself leave "Manual" mode. It takes longer, but that is why we have DSLR's to get full manual features, not preset apertures and exposure lengths in the other modes. As you know it's a great learning curve, takes a couple of months to get the hang of it, then you just get more and more fluent. Before we know it, it's second nature to zoom, focus, set exposure length and set aperture then click. That process use to take me about 30 seconds, now less than 2.

:D I am sure he will be pleased with the purchase.
On the menu setting it allows you to choose from RAW 18m, M RAW 10m and S Raw 4.5m; plus 5 different Jpeg settings from 18m, 8m, 4.5m, 2.5m and finally .3m suitable for downloading directly onto the website.

Truly amazing.

Grant
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Wow! .3mb would sure save me heaps of time.

RAW shots are really a bit of an oxymoron. The convertor in camera that gives you the JPG compression, is equivilent to any software you can buy to change the RAW into a JPG later.

RAW is good if you have an image you want to be able to zoom in and process. Eventually though you are going to have to change to JPG to view, Print etc. Though once again I would imagine there are machines which print straight from RAW now. Not a very user friendly format RAW. I 99% of the time shoot JPG.
Last edited by Mitchell on January 31st, 2011, 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
hbk13007
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple

Post by hbk13007 »

Mitchell wrote:Wow! .3mb would sure save me heaps of time.

RAW shots are really a bit of an oxymoron. The convertor in camera that gives you the JPG compression, is equivilent to any software you can buy to change the RAW into a JPG later.

RAW is good if you have an image you want to be able to zoom in and process. Eventually though you are going to have to change to JPG to view, Print etc. Though once again I would imagine there are machines which print straight from RAW now. Not a very user friendly format RAW. I 99% of the time shoot JPG.

I must admit that it can be a bit of a pain handling the large image sizes and doing the post processing (I currently have a backlog of about 2000 images to get through!) - but :imo: once you get on top of your work flow and get to know your personal preferences, you'll find your RAW processes images will be far far far superior to regular jpeg and take your photos from good to great. I've rescued many a shot from poor exposure/lighting because they were shot in raw. Ultimately, it will depend on what the final images are intended for and how much time you want to invest in processing and editing your final images. :P

Some great images shared already on this thread - great to see!!! :worship:

Return to “Photographing Bonsai”