New Camera Canon 60D

Taking good photo's of your tree's can be challenging. Discuss your ideas and tips here.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: New Camera Canon 60D

Post by Ray M »

Hi Grant,
Your third photo is the best as far as detail in the highlight areas. If you look at the second photo you will see the foliage a little clearer. You can get the best of the two if you use a reflector. Use the same F stop as you did with the third photo and hold a piece of white board above the top of the tree and slightly toward the back. This will tend to highlight the foliage but keep the detail in the highlights.

Regards Ray
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hi Grant
The first is way too bright on the trunk, but nice detail in the foliage tips.

The last one to me is the best as it has a more yellowinsh tint. What did you do between the 2nd and last ones? They seem the same brightness>

Steven, Nice choice for an intial DSLR.
I use mine for Athletics photos mainly so do not need low Fstop usually. photos of Bonsai I only recently started getting interested in Good shots of my trees so have not invested much yet.

Learn to use the various modes and functions properly, and then experiment with different exposures with your stock lenses.
Use decent auxilary lights if you can and nice Backgrounds to get the most out of what you have.

if you run into limitations of the original lens then splurge if you need to :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
S.O.P
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by S.O.P »

Shoot RAW, change your White Balance in post processing.

Adobe Lightroom is a good program to use, but expensive. Your Canon should of come with some RAW software (Digital Photo Professional, from memory).

#1 looks like motion blur? Were you handheld?

Tripod (or table with timed shutter and step away), do the best with lights as you can and large F-stop. If it's handheld, you need to keep your shutter speed high enough to avoid blur.

Edit: If you mush shoot JPEG, change your 'Picture Style' and add some sharpness there, and fiddle with the other sliders. The way 'professional' photographers make photos stand out is usually all in lighting and post processing. Post processing, like white balance, sharpness, contrast, clarity, saturation, lens corrections will make your photos appear much better. Most programs can do that all automatically if you are overwhelmed.
Last edited by S.O.P on November 4th, 2010, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Hmmmmm....

did someone say HDR...

;)
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

OK,

A few more photos.

All are on tripod and timer; but s... happens sometimes.
3 AV 4.5 manual Focus - Copy.JPG
6 AV 9 - Copy.JPG
11 AV 29 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NBPCA
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

OK now a question. I can't see any appreciable difference between all the photos; especially the back ground blur etc.

Am I doing anything wrong; misunderstanding or.. is the lense that important? ie the 18 - 200 lens as opposed to a fixed 50.

Grant
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

As apposed to what Go-fish does, I very rarely shoot anything over f8 bonsai. That fig, with the backdrop so close I would be shooting at f2.8 then bumping the DOF slightly larger to encompass the depth of foliage. Try under 4.5. Though I must say my camera has never left Manual mode since I got it, I'd have to read my manual to find out what AV mode does again.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

S.O.P
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by S.O.P »

You would need to pixel peep to appreciate any differences (which is looking at the same section of the full size pictures at 100%).

Look at your original picture, before resizing, and there should be a difference between 4.5 and 29. Never shoot past 11 on a crop camera, after that point you get lens diffraction, which is a softening.

The F4.5 shot may all be in focus, as well as the F9 because the DOF may include the entire plant. The background may be more blurry in the 4.5 compared to the 9.

Switching between the 2, F4.5 actually looks sharper than F9 but that could be that you missed the MF. Did you refocus each time?

To completely blur out your backdrop, you need to bring the plant and camera forward, and have the backdrop well out of the DOF, or like Mitchell says "Shoot wider". Just remember, cheap lenses soften at fast apertures.

Your White Balance is still off, which is why shooting RAW is important.

One thing to remember, is that photos out of a DSLR come out looking quite bland as the in-camera processing is minimal compared to Point and Shoots. You need to add the colour corrections and sharpening.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

Just noticed the WB is off too, when processing a shot.

I believe either your lighting or flash is too bright. Your lighting the back drop to much a bit, my black fabric does the same.
Tree looks completly different with the WB adjusted. :)

The reason White balance is important and may help solve this issue, is that all three of those last shots are blown out beyond repair with correct WB, though I can see the backdrop dissapears like you want.

Get the WB sorted, only takes 2 secs, go to the colour balance section and select the lighting source you are using, halogen, flourescent.... I am guessing halogen or incandescent from the orange tinge. :)
Last edited by Mitchell on November 5th, 2010, 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice. I will read and digest the information.

Attached is the 1st photo after being fiddled with of course.
3 AV 4.5 manual Focus - Fiddled With.JPG
Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

S.O.P wrote:You would need to pixel peep to appreciate any differences (which is looking at the same section of the full size pictures at 100%).

Look at your original picture, before resizing, and there should be a difference between 4.5 and 29. Never shoot past 11 on a crop camera, after that point you get lens diffraction, which is a softening.

The F4.5 shot may all be in focus, as well as the F9 because the DOF may include the entire plant. The background may be more blurry in the 4.5 compared to the 9.

Switching between the 2, F4.5 actually looks sharper than F9 but that could be that you missed the MF. Did you refocus each time? NO I DIDN'T.
To completely blur out your backdrop, you need to bring the plant and camera forward SHALL DO WHEN WE HAVE SPACE, and have the backdrop well out of the DOF, or like Mitchell says "Shoot wider". Just remember, cheap lenses soften at fast apertures.

Your White Balance is still off, which is why shooting RAW is important.

One thing to remember, is that photos out of a DSLR come out looking quite bland as the in-camera processing is minimal compared to Point and Shoots. You need to add the colour corrections and sharpening.
Thanks
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Mitchell wrote:Just noticed the WB is off too, when processing a shot.

I believe either your lighting or flash is too bright. I WILL DULL THE LIGHTS>Your lighting the back drop to much a bit, my black fabric does the same.
Tree looks completly different with the WB adjusted. :)

The reason White balance is important and may help solve this issue, is that all three of those last shots are blown out beyond repair with correct WB, though I can see the backdrop dissapears like you want.

Get the WB sorted, only takes 2 secs, go to the colour balance section and select the lighting source you are using, halogen, flourescent.... I am guessing halogen or incandescent from the orange tinge. :)
Thanks
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mitchell »

Not sure what you did, but that worked a treat for the background.
The white balance still has me a bit worried, my software is still telling me it is off. Are you using a combination of different light? Halogen and fluro or flash and halogen etc?

When I auto white balance the image, it thinks it should resemble this more. It can be fooled by multiple light sources though.

Looking good so far mate. :)
Last edited by Mitchell on November 5th, 2010, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Mitchell wrote:Not sure what you did, but that worked a treat for the background.
The white balance still has me a bit worried, my software is still telling me it is off. Are you using a combination of different light? Halogen and fluro or flash and halogen etc?

When I auto white balance the image, it thinks it should resemble this more. It can be fooled by multiple light sources though.

Looking good so far mate. :)
You are very clever!

Yes we use a few lights. The bare old incandescent bulb in the garage/studio; plus two studio lights, and a bit of daylight seeping in as well.

Re background I just fiddled with the photo when I got home from work. Brightness, contrast and mid tones. Bonsai, Bonsai, Bonsai!

As I said earlier I will dial down the lights a tad.

Now that I understand you get better photos once the shot is taken it will be a bit easier.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

At the combined AABC/BFA show the other day I met one other who had just bought a Canon 60D as well.

He explained that he learnt so much from all the input on this thread that he felt like he knew the camera.

Any way he bought it and loves it. He has even read the manual!

He was taking pictures similtaneously in two formats. One in very large RAW and the other ready for downloading straight onto the website.

Grant

Return to “Photographing Bonsai”