Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: banksia, Casuarina, Melaleuca, Euc
Bonsai Age: 20

Re: Not Teds Angophora

Post by Milo »

Last try[img]
SAM_9439.JPG
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mugen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Bougy's, Pyracantha, portulacaria afra.
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by mugen »

Love the bark on this tree :tu: really nice :clap:
" Abandon concepts, realize all - Encompass emptiness, and dissolve all duality."
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Milo , very nice looking natural native ,I'm slowly get into our natives but they are hit and miss at my place .Thanks for inspiring me to work a little harder .I certainly would like to have a few more established tree's on my benches .

Cheers Alpineart
cuwire
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by cuwire »

Hi Milo

Can you tell us the steps you took the roots through to go from nursery stock to a bonsai pot.

Quite a striking tree.

David
Milo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: banksia, Casuarina, Melaleuca, Euc
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Milo »

Hi David,
I spent most of last night writing a story on the tree, and between trying to load the photo and saving the file it disappeared. so here we go again.
Like most, I visit every nursery that I pass (if the wife will let me) looking for mature trees (natives of any kind) most nursery's have young stock, I have found a discount nursery that has a lot of mature Gums, 450 mm pots and 2 to 3 metres high , pot bound and cheap. ( and No My secret )
Had to cut the top out of the tree to get it home, but left some branches that I could burn, usually I pot up one size to put a bit of soil around the pot bound roots to hold moisture and set fire to the all the leaves. A bit of Charley Carp and water regularly, With in 6 to 8 weeks it starts throwing shoots form the bottom up, at this stage I cut the top off to about 300 to 400 mm high, rubbed off all the shoots up to about 250 mm. root pruned leaving about a third. and potted into a 250mm sallow terracotta pot. I pick a strong shoot on what I think should be the front between 250 & 350 mm high ( need to consider how high you tree will be when branches develop ) Wiring this shoot lightly up and rubbing all other shoots off, need to keep at it, most of the first season and at the beginning of each growth spurt. ( this seems to apply to most Eucs )
This Angophora, the tag said costata ,( but the leaves are still juvenile to know yet) is at the start of its third year, Last Aug I cut back behind the developing new main branch, and sealed. ( It appears to heal scars - Cuts aggressively.) I potted it into the cheap bonsai pot this August and cut back fairly hard. as well as shedding its bark, its starting to get a growth spurt branch wise. It responds to any fertiliser I have (mostly native)
I would say I'm more a Aust Native enthusiast with a small back yard, than a Bonsai enthusiast, but I appreciate the rules of Bonsai and aim to adhere to as many rules as the Aust Natives will let me.
[img]
Cut.JPG
[/img]
[img]
Pot%20Bound%20Roots.JPG
[/img]
Aug 2011.JPG
Hope this all makes sense
Milo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cuwire
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by cuwire »

Wow Milo

That's a great read and a heap of info - as I read it two root reductions to the last pot.

Will try this myself -- can't resist.

"I would say I'm more a Aust Native enthusiast with a small back yard than a Bonsai enthusiast" --

That statement of yours presents me with a great deal more freedom when dealing with bonsai 'constraints'. Love the natives

Thanks and good luck with the tree.
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by siddhar »

I think a series of guy wires might be an easier alternative to lower the branches. I would imagine they'd be quite hard to get movement into.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

Beautiful tree! Well done :tu:
timbrown13
Aussie Bonsai Fan