Angophora costata (Sydney Red Gum) - I'm lost: what to do.

Sydney Red Gum, Smooth-barked Apple
Drac0
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus

Re: Angophora costata (Sydney Red Gum) - I'm lost: what to do.

Post by Drac0 »

Jason wrote:Thanks for that Gavin :) I don't want to hijack... but quick question... how often would you repot if growing in a container like Draco's?
I 2nd that question. :)

And another question regarding new growth. I just noticed there is another new 'trunk' about 5mm long just starting from the lignotuber. Should I let these develop or scrub them out? Or will removing them just encourage even more?

Cheers
-Mark-
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Drac0 wrote:
Jason wrote:Thanks for that Gavin :) I don't want to hijack... but quick question... how often would you repot if growing in a container like Draco's?
I 2nd that question. :)

And another question regarding new growth. I just noticed there is another new 'trunk' about 5mm long just starting from the lignotuber. Should I let these develop or scrub them out? Or will removing them just encourage even more?

Cheers
I've been told to rub them off, so the engery is going where it needs to be, or where you want it to. I'm constantly rubbing them or snipping them off. I'm sure someone can elaborate more though :)

I think its a really fascinating feature of our tree's down under :aussie:
Last edited by Jason on March 26th, 2014, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Drac0
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Drac0 »

Jason wrote:I've been told to rub them off, so the engery is going where it needs to be, or where you want it to. I'm constantly rubbing them or snipping them off. I'm sure someone can elaborate more though :)

I think its a really fascinating feature of our tree's down under :aussie:
I've grown a few waratah's in my time where every so often cut them almost back to ground level to encourage more growth from the lignotuber, more growth = more flowers. I can understand the theory of rubbing them out to redirect the plants energy for bonsai. I may let this one grow, it's coming up right in the middle of the other three so it could be THE trunk.

Slipped it out of the pot today, some fantastic root growth happening & thankfully no curl grubs. I think this is one of the first I potted without using any commercial stuff in the mix. Big difference when figs & hibiscus plants all around it are crawling with grubs right now.

Refreshed the mix a little, re-potted, staked and a little slow release fertiliser added. Accidentally broke one of the bigger trunks by trying to tie it off too roughly, oh well. :palm: Will keep it quite moist over the next few weeks until it settles in again & then just let it grow as normal. Will have to look at getting a bigger pot for a couple of years down the road if needed.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Cheers
Last edited by Drac0 on March 26th, 2014, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark-
Drac0
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Drac0 »

dennismc wrote:By the way the tree in my signature picture is an Angophora trained as a bonsai over nearly 30 years.

Dennis Mc
Hi Dennis, very nice looking tree. How hard is it to maintain the leaf reduction on older trees, just constant defoliation?

Cheers
-Mark-
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Draco and Jason, if you want to develop a thick trunk, when the pot is full of roots you can just slip-pot it up one size and let it go crazy, if you're lazy like me. Others like FlyBri will bare-root in the hot weather to sort out the root distribution early, and gradually increase pot size - the larger the pot within reason, the longer it will grow, and the quicker it will thicken.

As for lignotuber shoots rub them off constantly and always - if you leave them, there's a good chance that they will take all the energy of the plant, and the original trunk will die off! Trunks and branches in Eucs can be very competitive, and it can be difficult with species like nichollii to keep low and high branches all evenly healthy.

Best of luck learning to drive these things, I'm only just learning myself.

Gavin

Return to “Angophora Costata”