Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: None

Angophora Costata - nervous about next steps

Post by vangees »

Hi
this Angophora I've grown from seed and generally neglected it, chopping and trimming here and there. Noticed in past several seasons it is getting pretty thick and growing rampantly. I have come to quite like the trunk.

So spring 2015 I decided to give the roots a trim and the whole thing a serious haircut. Well I thought I killed it as it sulked for 8 weeks before bouncing back, rampant again.

Last spring 2016 I just slip potted to new size pot with minor haircut, nervous about another near death experience. It was very happy, putting on more girth.

I know the roots need thinning and I think it is probably time to chop refine the next stage of trunk (ignore the rest I'm after a good trunk to start with). After previous experiences, I am nervous about when to root prune and when/what to chop. Can I chop and root prune these suckers at the same time?

Your assistance and any tips on how to approach next couple of years would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Angophora Costata - nervous about next steps

Post by GavinG »

Excellent trunk! You can cut back as far as you like, and it should re-shoot. Euc's seem to like warmer weather for repots - maybe October onwards? Some folk have bare-rooted Eucs in the heat, but they need to be kept moist afterwards - maybe a shallow water tray might help.

Best of luck. It's well worth while cutting those lanky branches back to highlight the strength of the trunk.

Please keep posting as it progresses.

Gavin
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

That is a great trunk.
Gavin is on the money with timing and a water tray - he gave me water tray advice a while back and it has proved winner for natives. Thanks Gavin!
I would always avoid trimming roots and leaves of an evergreen at the same time. The tree needs the leaves if it is going to produce sugar to fuel root growth. Having said that Eucs and Angophoras appear to take all sorts of punishment.
Cheers,
Symon
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

Nice, I was trying to figure out what the hell that was in the pic for size reference, helps when I finally read the small print.

I have 5 of these that are in the ground that I will be digging up early October, this is the latest I can dig them as we are moving into our new house on the 13th.

I'm confident they will be fine as they are young and vigorous.
Last edited by Lane on August 19th, 2017, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vangees
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: None

Post by vangees »

Thanks for the replies all.

With the "water tray" is it just 1-2 cms in a shallow tray.ie it doesn't come up to the drainage holes I assume?
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

No, a water tray only does something if it covers the drainage holes. The point is that the water wicks up into the soil. It shouldn't cause root rot if you have an open mix with little or no fine organic matter. This ensures that there is lots of air. Water doesn't kill roots, lack of oxygen does - think hydroponics. Since you are reducing the roots they won't be in direct contact with the water anyway.

Lane, please post pictures when you have some progress. This is a difficult species to work with - long inter-nodes and large leaves. I would like to how others manage.

Cheers,
Symon
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

Will do, I am a fan of big bonsai, so these will be in the ground for the next 5 to 10 years to thicken significantly.

Return to “Angophora Costata”