AUTHOR
Lee W.

BOTANIC NAME
Angophora Costata

COMMON NAME
Sydney Red Gum, Smooth-barked Apple

NOTE

BACKGROUND

A large, wide, spreading tree growing to a height of between 15 and 25 m. The trunk is often gnarled and crooked with a pink to pale grey, sometimes rusty-stained bark. The timber is brittle and limbs tend to fall readily. In nature the butts of such limbs form callused bumps on the trunk and add to the gnarled appearance. The old bark is shed in spring in large flakes with the new salmon-pink bark turning to pale grey before the next shedding.

SUN
Full sun to part shade.

TEMPERATURE
Coped with Sydney's normal temperature range.

WATERING
This tree was not overly thirsty but dangerous to let it dry out.

TRAINING
I have not had good results this species and I have given them up. They both grew well and then a major branch died and a strong sucker came up. Do some restyling and train that and something else major died. It was in a water tray, out of a water tray and within a year out of my bonsai collection. The friend who took it got it to grow for awhile and then the same cycle started until the tree was binned. Another one in his collection went the same way. I am sure that other enthusiasts can work with this tree but I had no luck.

It took wiring but quick growth means wires must be checked frequently.

FERTILISING
Native Osmocote.

REPOTTING
Spring or fall when it is dormant.

PROPAGATION
The species is grown from seed which normally germinates after seven days and no special treatment is required. The seed should be sown in a loose, well-drained mix just below the surface. When the seedlings reach a height of 1-2 cm they should be pricked out into a large container until they are large enough to be planted out.

PESTS OR DISEASES
Some trees suffer minor frost damage to new tips during winter, and caterpillars and the native leaf-cutting bee cause minor damage to the foliage.

COMMENTS
The leaves and bark would be very beautiful but I found it disappointing as a bonsai, particularly when so many other natives are so ideal to bonsai.
Last edited by gocny on February 17th, 2012, 9:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Angophora Costata”