Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

Little Angophora from Matt A

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

I got this little beauty in a trade from Matt up in Newcastle about 2, or 3 weeks ago. Top guy to have as a friend, and I promised him I'd take photos each year of it. So here is the start of the progression. Anyone think of a good name for this baby? We're still debating whether its a Eucalyptus or Anghopra. But I couldnt really care less either way, I love the thing. But I reckon its an Angophra unless someone could convince me otherwise.
DSCN1224.JPG
There could be a caterpilla somewhere, as I can see the munch marks.
DSCN1226.JPG
There you are little fella, Im sorry, but unfortunately you've got a move away.
DSCN1228.JPG
Tree after alittle prunning to get some light inside
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on April 25th, 2013, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited tile spelling
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Little Angophra from Matt A

Post by MattA »

Move on little caterpillar :twisted: Keep an eye out on the new growth, if the tips look stuck together its another munching menace to them. I just squeeze them as i pinch off to control. These guys can defoliate a tree in a day or 2 at most.

Look forward to seeing it progress in your care bud. And can someone please help with the i.d for this.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

MattA wrote:Move on little caterpillar :twisted: Keep an eye out on the new growth, if the tips look stuck together its another munching menace to them. I just squeeze them as i pinch off to control. These guys can defoliate a tree in a day or 2 at most.

Look forward to seeing it progress in your care bud. And can someone please help with the i.d for this.

Matt
Hey Matt, thanx for the advice and yeah I get those caterpillars that sleep between leaves and make alittle bed for itself. I will keep my eyes out daily. Another annoying thing are them grasshoppers and leaf hoppers. Anyone know a natural way to deter them?
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

check out the thread started by mojo re organic growing. If you use anything I would go with the chilli garlic & pyrethrum mix or omit the pyrethrum & lessen its harm on beneficial species.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Angophora has opossite leaves/branches and Eucalyptus has alternate!
So this is........ :D
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bretts wrote:Angophora has opossite leaves/branches and Eucalyptus has alternate!
So this is........ :D

Brett, actually after reading some of Ashes information on another post, I may have to change my mind. It could be a Euc afterall. :lol:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Have you seen Nuts on it? What makes you think Euc?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Bretts wrote:Have you seen Nuts on it? What makes you think Euc?
Brett, I havent seen the nuts on it, am still not sure if its a Euc or a Angophra. But I have seen a few of my lignotubes act like Angophra especially in the juvenile stage. Things like my Eucalptus Gunnii, it acts like an angophra. Im hoping Matt could shed some light with the area he dug it out from. The reason why I thought at first it was a Angophra costata was because it grew around the eastern states like New Castle. But then reading Ashe's post, I really dont know what it is.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Little Angophora from Matt A

Post by kcpoole »

Hi Edward
How is this little tree developing? Any news and info to add to the angophora wiki page?

please not i have edited the spelling of the title and moved to the native forum as well.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Tony H
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata Pine
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by Tony H »

Internode lengths , red heart wood, opposing foliage... I'm willing to bet the house it's A.costata.
Collected this species for 15 years (seed not trees) for commercial supply... Probably spent 6 months of my life in the canopy's of these :lol:
Your karma ran over my dogma
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

ViBeS wrote:Internode lengths , red heart wood, opposing foliage... I'm willing to bet the house it's A.costata.
Collected this species for 15 years (seed not trees) for commercial supply... Probably spent 6 months of my life in the canopy's of these :lol:
Can you maybe post some tips for the native rookies of the forum [ME!!!] about the growth habits of angrphora's and how to train them formally please?

Return to “Angophora Costata”