NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Another repotted Baeckea

Post by NAHamilton »

This is another one I bought from a local nursery last year.

I like the way it looks for now (relative to my trees on my bench not other peoples :? ), but I plan on reducing the trunk to the first branch on the right. This splits into 2 so one will become the apex and the other just reduced into a short branch. Not much to rave about but I need to get into the rhythm of posting on the site. I've taken so much information from it which has helped immensely in my learning.

These trees have become one of my favourite. I think everyone should have them. It's blindingly obvious looking at the picture but both the quality of my camera and photography abilities are... well... yeah.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Another repotted Baeckea

Post by kcpoole »

nice tree and agree to get rid of the branch on the left. No taper in there from the second section below.

Re that second section, can you wire it and get a bend in it to the left slightly? IMHO its too straight for the length, and small bend about 1/2 way up will reduce the obviouslessness :lost:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by NAHamilton »

It fattens up quite a bit too at that junction which is another reason why I want to get rid of it.

I do plan to put a bend in where you are saying to bring the foliage back over the top and create a bit more of an s type curve. I probably should do it sooner than later as the get quite brittle.

I'd like to see the one you are digging up, there's an amazing one at work I'd like to dig up. Just got to wait for that day where the say "We really appreciate everything you do here and if there is anything we can do for you..."
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi ,would have to agree with Ken .A sharp bend above the jin,bringing the trunk line to the left. How about bringing the wired branch to the left and above the horizontal to start forming the canopy. I would also roughly wire the thick lower branch on the left and move it away from the canopy and keep it as a sacrifice to thicken that section below were it joins the trunk. Hopefully better taper in the future. Just a few ideas, regards John.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

How'd you go with this one, any update NAHamilton?

Cheers,
Pearcy.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Pearcy,

I put it back in a plastic pot as I had a change of plan and it's easier to look after in a larger pot. I have a few others which I intend to plant on a rock/rocks together. I have all the necessary materials, just waiting on some warmer weather. Will post an update once complete.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Return to “Babingtonia Virgata”