Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Callistemon viminalis - Taiwan

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

A nice pic of a Viminalis from Taiwan
Callistemon viminalis.jpg
http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9119 ... tion#95914

There are some nice Casuarina there too...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acers and deciduous
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Southern districts Bonsai club

Re: Callistemon viminalis - Taiwan

Post by Paul B »

A lovely looking tree
:beer:
Paul B
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Ryan1979b »

Wow...Love it... :cool:
chipper5
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aus Natives, Trident Maple, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by chipper5 »

Beautiful tree! Just love that nebari! :tu:

Chipper5 :D
Chipper5 :-D

http://sob.ausbonsai.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Interesting variation between tight pads and open spaces, and some very fine sinuous detail in some of the middle branches. Very graceful tree, thanks for posting. The casuarinas don't look like the trees we see around us - does this matter?

Gavin
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

GavinG wrote:Interesting variation between tight pads and open spaces, and some very fine sinuous detail in some of the middle branches. Very graceful tree, thanks for posting. The casuarinas don't look like the trees we see around us - does this matter?

Gavin

I have seen many casuarina bonsai in this style, I think they were all equisetifolia's. It was inspiring enough for me to grow a few seedlings of these with the aim to one day have a tree like that. I would be interested in finding out more about the development and training techniques of this particular cultivar. Steven says the Casuarina torulosa is Australia's answer to the Japanese Black Pine, but I personally think the Equisetifolia has more potential. Just my :2c:
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

GavinG wrote:The casuarinas don't look like the trees we see around us - does this matter?
Gavin,

I don't think that matters at all, most trees that we see as bonsai do not look like trees in nature.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Scott Roxburgh wrote:
GavinG wrote:The casuarinas don't look like the trees we see around us - does this matter?
Gavin,

I don't think that matters at all, most trees that we see as bonsai do not look like trees in nature.

Im reading an issue of Bonsai international from 2000 by Bill Valivanis where he mentions a lot of maple bonsai are transvestites :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: By this he means they are styled to look like conifers, pines in particular. The important thing to remember is bonsai is both horticulture and ART. like Scott says, it doesn't matter, but trees styled like those around us look more realistic. That being said, I would be happy with a transvestite maple any day :whistle:
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Luke308 wrote:

Im reading an issue of Bonsai international from 2000 by Bill Valivanis where he mentions a lot of maple bonsai are transvestites :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: By this he means they are styled to look like conifers, pines in particular. The important thing to remember is bonsai is both horticulture and ART. like Scott says, it doesn't matter, but trees styled like those around us look more realistic. That being said, I would be happy with a transvestite maple any day :whistle:

:lol: :lol:
Palmatums, yes I agree that in the West as bonsai they are not nearly as feminine as in nature. Tridents, having seen quite a few large specimen trees in the landscape, they are a kind of like a pretty girl with a prominent Adam's apple. Field Maples, they could be Bulgarian weightlifters!

On a more serious note, that is a great bottlebrush from nursery/garden origin. Now I have seen pics of 3 really impressive Callistemons, one from Spain, one in from the South of France by a fairly young lady whose name escapes me and now, one from Taiwan. Are there any really good Callistemon bonsai in Australia? I can't recall seeeing any and I would love to see them if there are.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:Are there any really good Callistemon bonsai in Australia? I can't recall seeeing any and I would love to see them if there are.

Cheers,
Mojo

One of the guys here in Adelaide is a Native nut, check out his trees here on facebook. I believe there is a Callistemon from memory, not up to the the standard of the Taiwanese, but well on its way. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 228&type=3

main page https://www.facebook.com/bonsaiaustralis

Return to “Callistemon”