Bottlebrush

Bottle Brush
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Bottlebrush

Post by Gareth »

Day off the other day, so i took a trip out to MattA's place to find me a tree dammit!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we looked all around his yard, high and low, and since his purge a few months ago, the yard looked very different.

Upon deciding that there really wasnt anything there i was interested in, or wanted to take off him because it was too good, we went up the road and decided to look for some mel's.

We didnt find anything. thats about the size of it.

So we headed back and wandered around again. Again, i didnt want to take anything that looked too good, afterall, it wasnt costing me anything.

But then we came across a self seeded Bottlebrush, we must have walked past the bastard about 10 times and not given it s second thought. I asked what it was, "oh that thing..... its a bottle brush, you want it?"

about 45 seconds later it was out of the ground. and what we discovered was a killer nebari. I felt bad and offered it back to him about 30 times, byut he insisted i take it, so here are the pictures.
FILE0125 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0127 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0132 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0133 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0136 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0140 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0137 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0138 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0141 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
FILE0142 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
As per Matt's instructions and recommendations, don't be afraid of giving it a hard time, so, everything growing downward was cut off, and the root ball was reduced to where i wanted it.

I said it many time walking around Matt's yard. i would hate to be a tree in the ground here!!!!!! hahahaha, but I've seen the cuts he put in this tree when he moved it, at the same time as moving it, and other trees in the yard, and i have no doubt it will survive.

As long as i keep up with the aftercare, i recon we should have shoots within 3 weeks.

The mix was 2/3rds diatomite, 1/3rd worm castings. My mix when my trees are getting re-potted will now be this, to see how it performs, going into pots, there will be the addition of zeolite, a few other bits and pieces and possibly the substitution of the diatomite with pumice. but a 2/3rds inorganic 1/3rd organic mix looks good.

it has been watered in well when potted and once more tonight, and now it will be left to dry out.

At first, when discussing it at Matt's, we both though it would be an informal upright, but looking at the angle of that branch, i think it needs to come off, and be trained as formal upright. The way i have seen this tree chopped and the rate it heals itself, i don't think finding a new shoot, and then it covering a decent sized scar should be a problem.

There is plenty of cambium in and around the three cuts already made to ensure a shoot somewhere around there, once a get a few growing and thick enough, my plan is to remove the side branch still left there, and reduce the swelling at the point where all the branches once were to start the healing and rolling over process from the new shoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Bottlebrush

Post by alpineart »

Hi Gareth , have you considered chopping one of the 2 leaders off and giving it zig zag movement , then carving the back side of the first bend to reduce the chop effect . It would give good radical movement and these do power on as has been said so it would fill out and become a very nice informal or slanting style . .

Cheers Alpineart
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Gareth »

hmmmm, that is a though alpine, but i still cant steer away from the potential for this tree as a formal upright, anyone seen a good one as a formal upright? PUP????????????

In my opinion the length of the trunk, no matter how much carving is done, will still look out of place if i try to use the side branch on it now, maybe if i train a new leader to get movement more upwards at less of angle and then carve it?

But still, look at what i have to work with as a formal upright, or even a broom?

Gareth
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Gareth , do a google on Callistermon and Bottle Brush for a good gander at some exceptional specimens and idea's.

Cheers Alpine
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Gareth »

Already there mate
JulzD
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by JulzD »

Hey Gareth, any developments?

I'm looking at putting a full-size one in my back garden and buying another and making it a Bonsai.

Any more recent pics?
Focus. Discipline. Success.
Know yourself and all else is easy.
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Gareth »

its funny you post this, its starting to shoot lower down the trunk, and i hope, i really hope, it shoots higher up, in the middle of the three cuts, im aiming for a formal upright with this one.

Pictures soon.
KyBonzai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: My newest One !
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by KyBonzai »

G'day any updates on this guy ?
as soon as the weather clears up here im going to look for full size trees to take cuttings from :tu:
19, Apprentice stonemason, Never get tired of bonsai

Khan

Return to “Callistemon”