Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Campbelltown bonsai club

callistemon drying up after potting

Post by golgotha »

Hi all,
Got myself a little john bottlebrush a few months ago and potted it up being wary that they don't like a lot of root disturbance, i put it in a mix of 60% amgrow black label bonsai mix and 40% 4mm minus diomite. I gave it a seasol bath at potting and a week later, I have been vigilant with my watering making sure it doesn't dry up but trying not to get it too wet, it has now been a month since potting and all the foliage is drying out and slowly curling. Is this tree lost or is it salvagable?
I really hope i can save this tree because it's my first native and it's pretty damn cool looking :cool:.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I will post pics if this helps too, just unable atm.

Thanks, Mitch

Edit: also, i have kept it in mostly shade since potting and have tried my best to keep it wind protected.
Last edited by golgotha on August 2nd, 2012, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuwire
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: callistemon drying up after potting

Post by cuwire »

Hey Mitch
Can you give us an idea of size maybe a pic - size of original pot ...size of new pot etc my Little John has been full sun all the time even after potting my opinion is that they are very hardy little buggers.
Have seen some on the median strips go really brown in dry weather but come back bigger and better.
Like to hear from the more experienced regarding root disturbance.
Cheers
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

If you potted the tree a few weeks ago, you may have unduly set the tree back. It would have been better to repot when new shoots are showing in the spring. Anyway it should regain strength with good aftercare.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Did you do any foliage reduction?
If you didn't, or didn't do enough then the plant may be shedding the leaves that the root system cannot support.
They are fairly tough little customers though, I potted a ground layer in summer this year which had only a few small roots. I thought it was gone then 3 months ago I noticed some new shoots.
The important thing is not to give up on it, let things take their course. If all of the leaves drop, just give the bark a nick somewhere in the middle of the trunk with your fingernail every 3-4 weeks. If you see green it is ok :fc:
golgotha
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by golgotha »

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=271&image_id=2014
i potted it from this (it was about 200mm deep)
to this:
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=271&image_id=2013

I did a little foliage reduction, is this something i should do now to give the roots a chance to support the tree?

Sorry i don't know how to post pics correctly :?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hi Golgotha,
I have had Calistemon and Melaleuca brown off and drop all leaves after repotting but mostly grow new foliage soon after. Have also had some not come back :lost: Hoping yours will be ok :fc:

I try to repot callistemon later in spring when it is warmer. They seem to shoot back better then.
Where did you hear that Callistemon do not like root disturbance? I have transplanted many with severe root reduction no problems. They also respond well to severe pruning. I have also had better results when the trees are given good light, even full sun, rather than shade after transpalnt.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
golgotha
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by golgotha »

Ok, so my action plan should be to just let the leaves fall naturally or defoliate? Also i will progressively move to a sunnier spot.
I can't quite remember where i heard about them not liking a root cut, I think it may have been on here when i first got it and was scouring the callistemon forum for inspiration and info.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

No need to defoliate. Dead leaves will fall naturally so defoliation is only a waste of your time. If it is going to grow it will do it whether the leaves are there or not.
Not sure about moving it. i find that trees resent constant moving. Mine do far better when they get used to one environment. Every shift sets them back while they readjust metabolism. I hope that it will shoot where it is then when it has recovered a bit move it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

golgotha wrote:Ok, so my action plan should be to just let the leaves fall naturally or defoliate? Also i will progressively move to a sunnier spot.
I can't quite remember where i heard about them not liking a root cut, I think it may have been on here when i first got it and was scouring the callistemon forum for inspiration and info.
In scouring the Callistemon forum did you come across my posts on them. It includes root pruning and pruning back after flowering.

Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing

Return to “Callistemon”