Bottle Brush
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Callistemon penjing dreams

Post by Bretts »

I have found penjing interesting for some time. There is a special beauty that is there. It is only when you see great penjing that you really see how special it is.
I find in penjing (to me at least) it is more about bringing out the beauty of the stock that you are working with more than creating a miniature replication of a real tree.

I would have liked to keep more of the old branches on this stock but I just could not find a way to keep them being in front of the main trunk.
The main trunk has some Great movement and there is a little kicker that leads the tree into this trunk down low.

Will get some wiring done now.
calistemon 001.jpg
calistemon 009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Re: Callistemon penjing dreams

Post by Jason »

Look forward to seeing where you take this Bretts, definately awesome material to work with. Really love callistemon's, just wish I had more to work with! :P
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hope you like Jason :wave:

I really like where I have ended up. It is different to what I had in mind when I set out as in I was really hoping I could utilize many branches and it would have been a more broom shape. It is also different to the norm so I am definitely in the realm of penjing.
There could be a VERY good smaller tree in the right of front angle and maybe we will head there one day but for now I am very happy and this should be lots of fun. It keeps reminding me of a callistemon that was at the NBPCA

The pics are awful with the arvo sun I might try for a better one later.
callistemon 003.jpg
callistemon 005.jpg
callistemon 001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on February 5th, 2013, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks Brett, excellent progression. Is this a "Little John"? Love the low movement which is always difficult to find in collected stock - OK I've jumped the gun - is it collected stock?
It would be appreciated if you could keep us up-date on its progression.
Cheers
Watto
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hi Watto I believe it is Little John and it is collected stock,
I meant to link the original thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7914
Glad you like :wave:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks mate, I do remember that thread now, but the growth has been quite phenomenal over a relatively short amount of time.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Callistemon”