Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Help getting a Callistemon Salignus back to good helth

Post by Josh »

Hello one and all,
I have look at this callistemon for quite some time and finally decided to do something about it. The first though is I need to return it to good health. It is in need of a repot and a good feed. For those experienced in natives-callistemon....

Should I
A. repot it now with a light root prune.
B. leave it in it's pot and just feet it. Then repot when busting buds in spring
C. Remove unwanted trunks now or later when healthier
D. Something totally different

IMG_4186.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4191.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4196.JPG
It's not real bad but want it pumping health so it will respond better when I'm working it.

Thanks
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Help getting a Callistemon Salignus back to good helth

Post by Boics »

Hi Josh.

I actually tried writing a response twice last night but things were playing up...

So for the 3rd time.

Have a quick look here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=13552&hilit=+callistemon

Advise given there was very sound.
It is also my understanding that (maybe even Pup mentioned once) a hard prune can stimulate budding and an opportune time to repot (at bud swell) at almost any time of year.
In summary your recent work might stimulate the tree into this state so perhaps wait a minute and see what the tree does.

To be safe you could use this moment to slip pot the tree with a light root tease or if your feeling brave maybe even re-pot with a good prune.

A month or so ago I gave my Calli the big root prune and this involved a complete severing of the bottom half of the nursery pot with a saw.
It didn't miss a beat.

I hope this helps.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It is always time to remove excess branching so I would go ahead now and remove the branches you know you don't want.
I think it might be too late for me to root prune hard now but it does not get so cold there in winter so might be ok. I know Pup says any time of year but I would probably wait until late spring so :imo: C and B
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Boics wrote:Hi Josh.

I actually tried writing a response twice last night but things were playing up...

So for the 3rd time.

Have a quick look here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=13552&hilit=+callistemon

Advise given there was very sound.
It is also my understanding that (maybe even Pup mentioned once) a hard prune can stimulate budding and an opportune time to repot (at bud swell) at almost any time of year.
In summary your recent work might stimulate the tree into this state so perhaps wait a minute and see what the tree does.

To be safe you could use this moment to slip pot the tree with a light root tease or if your feeling brave maybe even re-pot with a good prune.

A month or so ago I gave my Calli the big root prune and this involved a complete severing of the bottom half of the nursery pot with a saw.
It didn't miss a beat.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for that Boics. How is that tree coming along. Did you keep all 3 three trunks?
shibui wrote:It is always time to remove excess branching so I would go ahead now and remove the branches you know you don't want.
I think it might be too late for me to root prune hard now but it does not get so cold there in winter so might be ok. I know Pup says any time of year but I would probably wait until late spring so :imo: C and B
Thanks Shibui. I'll prune and feed then repot in spring.

Thanks for the comments guys. Appreciate it.

Josh.

Return to “Callistemon”