Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Re: Repot and prune now?

Post by Stu »

I repotted a Melaleuca forest (young ones) in December, the year before last. Unfortunately just before a couple of 40 odd days here in Melbourne. Lost half the trees :(
Decided not to try that again and now repot natives early Autumn after the last big heat passes. Seems to work well. If I do any root work at this time I will sit the pot in water for a couple of days.
Stu
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

kcpoole wrote:
Pup wrote:We are heading into a week of temperatures in the late 30s to early 40s, so any thoughts of re potting is going to have to wait. I did a Banksia Late November, next day it was 48 so it sulked for a while I have some shoots that got singed. Lost two Melaleuca cuticularis though. So saying when and what time is reliant on weather in your area.

Cheers Pup
At what predicted Temps would you consider NOT doing them?
what is be your upper limit to do so safely?

For me here in Sydney i doubt very much that we would get anything much over low 30s and quite high humidity from now on so if I needed to I would not hesitate.

TG
@treeman.
So you woukd not repot now for the concern of slowing the trees development down, but what about a tree that is already developed? you would not need to have it power on anyway so why not do them thru summer to force them to slow down.

Ken
Ken our biggest problem is it is DRY heat no humidity, so it does not help and we have had our water excemption has been recinded. But using the hose is OK during the day, so doing both your trees and ones self will be the order of the day.
Ken I would consider27/32 to be fine if we had the humidity.
Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Pup wrote:
kcpoole wrote:
Pup wrote:We are heading into a week of temperatures in the late 30s to early 40s, so any thoughts of re potting is going to have to wait. I did a Banksia Late November, next day it was 48 so it sulked for a while I have some shoots that got singed. Lost two Melaleuca cuticularis though. So saying when and what time is reliant on weather in your area.

Cheers Pup
At what predicted Temps would you consider NOT doing them?
what is be your upper limit to do so safely?

For me here in Sydney i doubt very much that we would get anything much over low 30s and quite high humidity from now on so if I needed to I would not hesitate.

TG
@treeman.
So you woukd not repot now for the concern of slowing the trees development down, but what about a tree that is already developed? you would not need to have it power on anyway so why not do them thru summer to force them to slow down.

Ken
Ken our biggest problem is it is DRY heat no humidity, so it does not help and we have had our water excemption has been recinded. But using the hose is OK during the day, so doing both your trees and ones self will be the order of the day.
Ken I would consider27/32 to be fine if we had the humidity.
Cheers Pup
Cool thanks. About what I was expecting and agree :yes: We very rarely get more than that this ttime of year and onwards

Bummer about the wwater exemption!

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

The next 7 days temps fri 35 sat 39 sun 40 mon 41 tue 40 wed 39 thurs 39 fri38. No rain so no re potting no heavy pruning plenty of water for both of us.

Keep well guys cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Ended up giving this guy a prune in an attempt to get some back budding going on as he's still growing, but no repot.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Return to “Callistemon”