shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Collected callistemon first styling

Post by shibui »

This callistemon was collected from a local garden before building work.
It has been recovering for nearly 2 years and is fit enough now to start some work toward a bonsai future.

Right from the start I thought this trunk had potential for a largish bonsai. 2 of the trunks had complimentary lines and good thickness.
Large callistemon 2017 10 1.JPG
Last summer I cut back the centre trunk which was crowding the other 2 and did not conform well. I left enough to convert the stump to a large jin. Dead wood was always in the plan. Many Australian trees feature dead parts because of the harsh climate here. Drought, floods and fires all take their toll on trees in the landscape so I think it is natural to include dead wood in our Australian bonsai.

After stripping the central stump I worked on the taller trunk. It had little taper and the top was moving in the opposite direction from the right hand trunk. Some more complimentary dead wood can solve both those issues. By stripping one side of the trunk it suddenly appears to have taper where there is none. I'm pretty sure I'll be removing more wood from up there. The new dead branch pointing out to the left interrupts the taper more than I'd allowed for and will almost certainly go. The tallest dead part which comes from the back of that trunk also looks superfluous now and will probably go. Without it the movement will be more towards the right echoing the smaller trunk better.
Large callistemon 2017 10 2.JPG
Now I'll let the new dead wood dry out for a few weeks then use lime sulphur to help preserve it.
Plenty of feed and water will encourage the remaining shoots to grow and I'll start to trim a bit more to encourage ramification.
Still not sure whether the branches on the left will be used or whether I'll go with a tree with all the growth toward the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Collected callistemon first styling

Post by boom64 »

Nice work Shibui ,going to be another cracker of a tree in the future. I know you have plenty of material to work with but not touching for two years shos great willpower. Cheers John.
marcela
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives,Maples
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Vic Native Bonsai Club

Post by marcela »

Nice candidate for a VNBC newsletter article Neil :whistle: :fc:
Marcela
Marcela
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I know you have plenty of material to work with but not touching for two years shos great willpower. Cheers John.
First part is more accurate. Lack of time is probably more to blame than willpower however I have vowed to look after it a bit better from now on :roll:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Callistemon”