Callistemon cut down

Bottle Brush
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Callistemon cut down

Post by SueBee »

I bit the bullet and cut down the Callistemon today...there is an interesting hollow at the base and the beginnings of some possible nebari on one branch. I only cut to lowest shoots.More off later under supervision perhaps??? Each branch is now about 45cms long.If the centre trunk shoots ok I will cut off the right hand one entirely eventually.
In the next few weeks I will deep water and loosen the soil in a circle around it. Hopefully to have it into a grow box by end of February.
2012-05-14 03.14.[attachment=0]2012-05-14 03.14.27 - Copy.jpg
16.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SueBee on January 16th, 2018, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Callistemon cut down

Post by shibui »

With luck you'll be able to incorporate that hollow into the design. I would certainly class it as 'feature' rather than 'flaw' when assessing this trunk for bonsai design.
:fc: that you will see lots of buds sprouting all over the trunk in the next 3-4 weeks but it does sometimes take a little longer so don't give up too soon if it takes a while.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Sue
Something I thought may interest you since your going to have branches to burn now
Also a way to help fill that nice new bench of yours.
Callistemon strike very well from branch cuttings which IMO is a cheap way to get more!!!! trees
to play with. Mind you I have only tried one myself and just this year[about 8 weeks ago]
I cut a 2inch thick branch a few inches long with a little green at end and its going well.
Mix was 3/4 perlite, 1/4 coir peat and after reading Mr Pups thread I left it in a water tray. May be
more than 8 weeks but there about. If you collect this summer or next spring I would still sit it into
a pot with a water tray. In September I collected one a bit smaller than yours and its been in a tray
with 1 inch water since and there are lots of good shoots already. Hope that helps.
cheers
Bob
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Post by SueBee »

Thanks for that advice Shibui and Bob...wow I had no idea Callistemon would shoot from a cutting.
I have another in my yard and will get to taking cuttings (Spring/Summer I take it Bob?). Will give it a try now and again in Spring.(second bench is up now and third on the way- just need someone to give me a lift with it onto it's legs...next hapless visitor with any strength is a goner! LOL
Too late for this one for cuttings but the bigger one (below) is a better flowerer anyway.
images feb2011 076.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero

Return to “Callistemon”