Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Re: Bottle Brush Pruning

Post by Luke308 »

Pup wrote:Here are some of the re potting, and taking of and putting down with Honey. Honey is used to help strike the cuttings it also stops disease it is anti fungal.
I find it very helpful. This is not the largest cutting I have struck. I will take pictures of the two that I have kept. Using this method I get a strike rate of 90% I sort the out and keep the ones I want.
Pass on the rest Asus :!: :roll:

I will take a picture of the two I have kept. Then I will post them here. Cheers Pup :)

Hi Pup, Just after a bit more info on your cutting technique if you don't mind? In the picture where you are applying the honey, it appears as though you have ring barked the bottom of the cutting. Is that correct? Info on cuttings that I have come across state to either cut diagonally on one side, or cut a wedge shape with one side having a steeper angle. If my eyes aren't deceiving me I can see the method you use having an advantage as it would shoot roots radially like an air layer does. If this is the case, can you please give me a bit of info on how you ring bark it? eg do you scratch the cambium layer?

Thanks Pup,

Luke
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Luke308 wrote:
Pup wrote:Here are some of the re potting, and taking of and putting down with Honey. Honey is used to help strike the cuttings it also stops disease it is anti fungal.
I find it very helpful. This is not the largest cutting I have struck. I will take pictures of the two that I have kept. Using this method I get a strike rate of 90% I sort the out and keep the ones I want.
Pass on the rest Asus :!: :roll:

I will take a picture of the two I have kept. Then I will post them here. Cheers Pup :)

Hi Pup, Just after a bit more info on your cutting technique if you don't mind? In the picture where you are applying the honey, it appears as though you have ring barked the bottom of the cutting. Is that correct? Info on cuttings that I have come across state to either cut diagonally on one side, or cut a wedge shape with one side having a steeper angle. If my eyes aren't deceiving me I can see the method you use having an advantage as it would shoot roots radially like an air layer does. If this is the case, can you please give me a bit of info on how you ring bark it? eg do you scratch the cambium layer?

Thanks Pup,

Luke
I am at a loss Luke, if you enlarge the picture it will show that I have peeled the bark from the end of the cutting completely around, or as you put it ring barked it. So yes, and I do find there is more chance of radial roots forming.The cambium layer is always removed in cuttings and air layers.
Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Phoenix238
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Phoenix238 »

Hi pup, I have a young callistemon in a grow box I'm working on. I see what you mean about them being very apical dominant, almost all of the new growth is up top! My question to you is should I be pruning the growth at the top, both to encourage back-budding and increase taper at the base?
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Here are some up dated pictures not quite all open but gives you some idea. Australian trees Australian style!! :!: :whistle: You do not need long branches to get flowers :whistle: They should be ready for our show on the 20th 21st of this month in Fremantle Town Hall gold coin entry.

Pheonix let it grow then prune it if the top get to big just take it off and strike it. As shown in this thread.
P1150322.JPG
P1150323.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

hi Pup,

As usual your callistemon at the collection is not flowering yet; and only just barely starting to elongate inpreparation for setting the flowers. I am always amazed at the difference in timing here compared to Perth,

Grant
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Booga »

This thread is full of great advice Guys and some Fantastic Bottle Brush :cool:
If I ever dig them, and I will, this will help so much.
Mum and Dad dont like native trees :tounge: So its up-to me :D
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...
KyBonzai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: My newest One !
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by KyBonzai »

holy wow!!
stunning trees Pup ! I really like the smaller cutting at the begining of the thread :clap:
just shows you dont need to wait years to get a nice looking little tree :)
now time to go take as many cuttings as i can from some wild specimens :tu:
Once again thank you for the huge amount of information in this thread Pup :clap: :worship:
Last edited by KyBonzai on April 12th, 2013, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19, Apprentice stonemason, Never get tired of bonsai

Khan
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

KyBonzai wrote:holy wow!!
stunning trees Pup ! I really like the smaller cutting at the begining of the thread :clap:
just shows you dont need to wait years to get a nice looking little tree :)
now time to go take as many cuttings as i can from some wild specimens :tu:
Once again thank you for the huge amount of information in this thread Pup :clap: :worship:
You are welcome, by the way that tree, the big one in the oblong pot, is for sale at $1800,00 plus freight to any one that wants it.

Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

:bump:
Great thread and timely advice for anyone growing Callistemon or considering growing them.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Am due to give mine its initial styling, hopefully this weekend :)

Have been letting it grow for the past year, but think its time to see what I can make of it. Will be attempting a natural style :fc:

Had a look at it last night, and was covered in ants, the buggers had built a nest up the side of the trunk... kind of termite like :palm: :palm: am really building a grudge up against these bloody ants lol
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

bonsaiLov
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: FIGS
Bonsai Age: 28

Post by bonsaiLov »

great post and information about our pretty native
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

What a stunning tree!

It blows my mind how truly gorgeous our natives are.

Cheers
EZ
By Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Pup wrote:Here are some of the re-potting, and taking of and putting down with Honey. Honey is used to help strike the cuttings it also stops disease as it is anti fungal.
DSCN0556.JPG
DSCN0557.JPG
DSCN0559.JPG
Cheers Pup :)
OK, so when I find a tree that I would like to take cuttings from, but I'm 20 minutes drive away from home … how would you maintain the cuttings on the trip back to ensure success? I have used water and that didn't do it for the Ficus cuttings (or it was me... :oops: )...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Elmar
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:
Pup wrote:Here are some of the re-potting, and taking of and putting down with Honey. Honey is used to help strike the cuttings it also stops disease as it is anti fungal.
DSCN0556.JPG
DSCN0557.JPG
DSCN0559.JPG
Cheers Pup :)
OK, so when I find a tree that I would like to take cuttings from, but I'm 20 minutes drive away from home … how would you maintain the cuttings on the trip back to ensure success? I have used water and that didn't do it for the Ficus cuttings (or it was me... :oops: )...
What I've done before, and worked for me (lasted a few hours at least) was just take a larger cutting, then when you get home, cut it down to the right size and pot it up.

Am sure someone will be able to expand on that though :)
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Jason wrote: What I've done before, and worked for me (lasted a few hours at least) was just take a larger cutting, then when you get home, cut it down to the right size and pot it up.
Am sure someone will be able to expand on that though :)
The ficus I did was a large cutting and I chopped it into 5 parts (improve my chances by increasing the numbers … so I thought) … so that didn't seem to work. BUT, it could be many things I guess … I recall my mother taking Bougainvillea cuttings and putting them in a bucket of water to prolong the cuttings life (like flowers I guess). That's what I did, a larger cutting kept in a 1.25 bottle with water until we got home; then chopped them up; brushed on rooting powder (my kids are giggling next tome ... :palm: ) and then placed each cutting into Seed Raising Mix and covered with the bottom half of a 2 litre bottle; watered twice a day …

… time for Round 2!
Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Callistemon”