Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Re: Bottle Brush Pruning

Post by Ron »

So glad this thread got a bump (thanks Leigh). It's been very informative.

Ron
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Nice shot Leigh.

Pup I was given an under watered bottle brush in spring and with nothing but regular watering it took off. Picked it up a few weeks ago and decided that I would prune the top back hard to create a tree at the top that I could air layer of in the future. This left one small but hardened shoot at the top and a branch at the base. In no time at all the shoot at the top browned off and I guess I have lost the top of the tree yet the bottom branch is fine. I showed my mate Pol the other day and he suggested that bottle brush don't like to be cut back so hard.
What are your thoughts on this.
Thanks!
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Bretts wrote:Nice shot Leigh.

Pup I was given an under watered bottle brush in spring and with nothing but regular watering it took off. Picked it up a few weeks ago and decided that I would prune the top back hard to create a tree at the top that I could air layer of in the future. This left one small but hardened shoot at the top and a branch at the base. In no time at all the shoot at the top browned off and I guess I have lost the top of the tree yet the bottom branch is fine. I showed my mate Pol the other day and he suggested that bottle brush don't like to be cut back so hard.
What are your thoughts on this.
Thanks!
Gday Mate I hope you and yours are enjoying the break.

I have and do prune mine hard as you have seen, I do this after flowering on mine, but as this was a neglected plant it might not have had all the energy needed.

I have found in general that they will handle quite a brutal attack. I have always been careful of not going further that growth leave a couple of leaves ( buds ), was any root work done on it at this stage.
What I find is that the top of BBs are usually very strong, and need to be thinned, other wise they become very dominant. I have said this quite a lot as it is where I get my cuttings from, as well as other parts. The tops make good Shohin. So I am like you perplexed as to what happend. Short of as I said some bad root work, or very weak tree.
Sorry I cannot be more specific. Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hi Pup.
Everything is going well here but can't really call it a break :| Retail hours for Danica ;)

I now remember that the roots had escaped the pot a little but any root reduction from releasing them would have been minimal. Here is a couple of pictures to give a better idea of what has happened.
bot.jpg
Wasn't much going on at the base of the tree but the curve up top looked interesting.
bot2.jpg
You can see here where I mad the two cuts that left the top bare except for a small shoot which I planned on making a leader for a smaller tree I could air layer off. This shoot soon died and it seems so has the wood.

It happened pretty quick. Next time I looked at the tree I could see the little shoot was in trouble :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on April 2nd, 2010, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Brett as you know I am always loath to give up on a native. As I have personally had them shoot back after 18 months and a mate a little over two years.

Just keep ya eye on it and watch for any movement a tickle with a blowtorch helps to stimulate growth.

Just saw a bit on the news the scientists here in Kings park have Isolated a a gene in bush fire smoke that stimulates new growth. They have patent it, it has the ability to help to rejuvinate soil as well. As you know with news bullatines they are light on info, just wow.

Cheers :) Pup

bonsai_Dan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by bonsai_Dan »

Very interesting thread. I think i know what my next tree will be now :)
********************************************************************************************************************************* :aussie:
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Hi Pup,

The Callistemon will flower its head off this year. Lots of flower buds pushing out and elongating now.

It will start opening up in about 4 weeks going by last year.

Grant
IMG_2711 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2712 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2713 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Nice to see Grant my one here is now past its peak bummer as we have a show at the end of the month.
I asked Nigel yesterday about the turntables. Unfortunately he does not know.

Another piece of not good news is the Matriarch of the club Greta Atkinson, Nigels mother has had a triple heart bypass, and it is not going well for her at the moment.

So I would ask all who know her to please pray to there God for her recovery, also those who do not please do the same, she is such a loverly old love.

She gives me heaps when she is well enough.

NBPCA

Post by NBPCA »

Pup wrote:Nice to see Grant my one here is now past its peak bummer as we have a show at the end of the month.
I asked Nigel yesterday about the turntables. Unfortunately he does not know.

Another piece of not good news is the Matriarch of the club Greta Atkinson, Nigels mother has had a triple heart bypass, and it is not going well for her at the moment.

So I would ask all who know her to please pray to there God for her recovery, also those who do not please do the same, she is such a loverly old love.

She gives me heaps when she is well enough.

Hi Pup,

When did your Callistemon first open and reveal the first touch of red? Still to open here and a few weeks away yet.

Grant
NBPCA

Post by NBPCA »

Hi all,

New camera and new photos of the flowers on Pups Callistemon

Grant
IMG_0029 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0030 - Copy.JPG
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

G,day Grant I went away and sulked as I would like to get my camera updated but the finance department says no.

To answer your question about 6 weeks ago, but then about two weeks after they first made a show, we had a spell of warm fine weather.

We are still experiencing the warm weather we are expecting 31 on Friday so we have to make sure the watering is kept up. We have now had a further ban on sprinklers, to one day a week but we can still hand water as often as we like :!: :!: .

Doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers :? Pup

Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Pup wrote:G,day Grant I went away and sulked as I would like to get my camera updated but the finance department says no.

To answer your question about 6 weeks ago, but then about two weeks after they first made a show, we had a spell of warm fine weather.

We are still experiencing the warm weather we are expecting 31 on Friday so we have to make sure the watering is kept up. We have now had a further ban on sprinklers, to one day a week but we can still hand water as often as we like :!: :!: .

Doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers :? Pup
Oh Pup! I didn't mean to make you jealous or sulk.(not half)

Anyhow thanks for the info. I will certainly let you know when it first comes into flower and we will get a really you beaut shot of it at peak flower.

Grant
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

G,day Grant I have said mine has past its peak which has surprised me as most of the street trees are still doing well. Then it dawned (DUH ) they have been getting watered by the sprinklers from over head. I should have known, when I went over East for the two weekend visits as the tutor.
Sue had to look after the trees she used the sprinklers, and I did not turn them off again, too late now, bugger :!: wanted it for the end of the month.

Greta is still not out of the woods, so let us keep praying for her.

NBPCA

Post by NBPCA »

Pup wrote:G,day Grant I have said mine has past its peak which has surprised me as most of the street trees are still doing well. Then it dawned (DUH ) they have been getting watered by the sprinklers from over head. I should have known, when I went over East for the two weekend visits as the tutor.
Sue had to look after the trees she used the sprinklers, and I did not turn them off again, too late now, bugger :!: wanted it for the end of the month.

Greta is still not out of the woods, so let us keep praying for her.

That would explain a lot. We don't use sprinklers at all so the flowers should last a long time.

Grant
Herve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Herve »

Hi,

My girlfriend and I made our first bonsai today. We bought a small bottle brush from Bunnings, pruned it and planted it in a bonsai pot.

Here are some photos of it.
16102010246.jpg
16102010244.jpg
We had no idea how much to prune and whether or not to leave any flowers :!:

Could you please give us some advice or pointers to improve it? :)

Thank you.

Herve

Return to “Callistemon”